BOUNDING FIRE BLACKPOOL 2023, November 15th - 19th

simon131

Reaction score
Country
ll
BFB has a new email address

For any questions etc. to the Tournament Director you should send a message to:-

boundingfireblackpool@outlook.com

Work is well underway to pull this years event together and an updating message will be posted here / on the blog / circulated by email within the coming weeks. Thanks to those who are already registered to attend

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Anyone up for a three player game in Blackpool on Wednesday evening or Thursday?

simon131

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi all I'm posting a copy below of a "circular" email send out today

If you haven't received this but would like to be added to the mailing list for this years event, please drop me a line at boundingfireblackpool@outlook.com

Greetings all from BFB ‘23 HQ, I trust this email finds you well

Please note the new tourney email address - boundingfireblackpool@outlook.com

I’m sending you this email because you have either registered to attend Bounding Fire Blackpool this November via the VFTT website (https://www.vftt.co.uk/uktournaments.asp?type=BOUNDING FIRE BLACKPOOL 2023) and / or have booked a room at the Headlands Hotel (they prefer via email to info@theheadlandsblackpool.co.uk) and / or are hopefully considering attending this November

If you no longer wish to receive updates about BFB ‘23 please advise and I will drop you off the mailing list. This will be restricted to confirmed attendees anyway once I send out the final information in November

Firstly an apology for a lack of comms over recent months. A few of you know I was dealing with a serious family illness for several months but now with less than 2 months until we assemble in Blackpool it’s all systems go

So, what can you expect this year aside from the usual great hospitality and ASL comradeship?

1. The main tourney, played blind, will run over four rounds instead of five, straight knock out, with a view to having all play complete by mid Sunday morning to allow for prize giving / onward travel at a reasonable time. The draw will be made c8 o’clock Thursday evening to allow for a prompt start to play on Friday morning
  2. The Minis, this year sponsored by Hazardous Movement. I hadn’t intended running these this year as I wouldn’t have time to pull together but my thanks to Andy Bagley who has stepped forward to organise. They will run as usual, primarily run on Thursday (optionally on other days if you are not playing in the main tournament) with the usual mix of ETO / PTO options. To express an interest in entering the Minis please drop Andy a line on bfminis2023@outlook.com
  3. “Grab and Go” play of unpublished scenarios - more details to follow
  4. Second Chance Games are planning to attend on the Saturday
I am pleased to be supported by much of the ASL community with prizes - Bounding Fire of course plus Hazardous Movement, Battleschool dice, Despatches From The Bunker, Ken Smith Fine Art, Le Franc Tireur, Lone Canuck, Mario Aceto dice towers, MMP, Second Chance Games and a couple of great dioramas from friend of the tourney Ian Willey. Images will be added to the prizes page of the Blog this coming week (https://boundingfireblackpool.blogspot.com/p/prizes-2021.html). Hotel pricing is also available on the Blog.

The registration fee for Bounding Fire Blackpool ‘23 is £20 (the same as 2018!) payable cash at the event

So what additional information can you expect ahead of November?

1. More details about the Grab and Go scenarios that will be available
  2. Kit required for the Minis / main tournament (in November)
  3. An updated set of tournament rules (in November)
I hope as many of you as possible are able to attend. I’ve had enquiries from players new to the tournament scene so if you do know anybody else who could join our ranks please encourage them to attend / contact myself to answer any questions. Similarly drop me a line to this email address if you have any questions about the weekend

If you register to attend on the VFTT website (see above) this automatically also lets me know you are coming (thanks Pete), or drop me a line direct to this address

It would also help with the planning if those intending to play in the main tournament could let me know via email (accepting things change but it helps to get a feel for numbers)

Until November, roll low

Cheers

Simon

simon131

Reaction score
Country
ll
BFB '23 TOURNAMENT AAR

This was our sixth BFB tournament and the fifth held face to face. We meet every year during November at The Headlands Hotel, Blackpool, UK.

I was pleased to see a slight increase in the number of attendees compared to last year and am hopeful this will rise again in 2024.
Of the 35 who travelled to Blackpool, 19 entered the main tournament.

There was some debate as to who was the oldest player at the tournament with the consensus being XXX (can I name him?) at 70 who we were all delighted to see return to the tournament scene for the first time since COVID. There can be doubt as to the youngest player, at the tender age of 15, so maybe there is hope this great game of ours will still be being played in 2050 and beyond!

We again had international presence with Eric Gerstenberg travelling the furthest of any attendee, all the way from The Lone Star State, USA.

Early arrivals were there on Wednesday for free play with the organised gaming getting underway on Thursday.

These were the Minis, sponsored this year by our friends at Hazardous Movement with scenario choices by Andy Bagley who kindly stepped in to get these organised as I concentrated on the main tournament. There was the usual choice of ETO or PTO with 16 players participating. The winners were Ian Ainsworth, Bill Durrant and Morris Legge (ETO) along with Craig Benn (PTO).

The main tournament got underway on Friday. As always the scenarios are blind, mainly unpublished, and this year all from our main tournament sponsor, Bounding Fire Productions. The format was restructured somewhat this year to a four round, random draw, straight knock out competition with an “Heroic” Division of 16 players and a “Fanatic” Division of all the remaining players who wished to play in the main tournament.

Whilst a knock out format, any losing players went into a repechage and / or BFP Special Minis secondary tournament thus ensuring that all entrants played at least 3 tournament games. Prizes were awarded to 8 of the 16 starting players.

The games finished running up to midnight on the Saturday thus leaving Sunday free for more free play.

BFP Special Mini winners:- Ian Ainsworth and Mark Blackmore.
Repechage Tournament Runner Up:- Peter Catchpole.
Repechage Tournament Winner:- Steve Cook.

In the “Fanatic” Division well played to Stuart Brant who won the final against Runner Up John Kennedy in a keenly fought game of BFP-105 The Winter City.

In the “Heroic” Divsion, both the 3rd / 4th play-off game and the final selected BFP-30, Melee Near The Coast (Blood and Jungle) from the choice of 3 BFP scenarios available (the others being BFP-95 Obian Highway and BFP-107 Costly Baptism).

The final featured two of the UKs top players with Toby Piling just edging the win (playing the Chinese) in a closely fought match against Martin Vicca, the game coming down to the final Close Combat. Well played Toby, not his first win nor surely his last at BFB.

In the play-off game Craig Benn (playing the Japanese) came through to take 3rd place against Eric Gerstenberg (4th).

Other winners of the various tournament prizes on offer over the weekend included Andy Bagley, Neil Brunger, Nick Ranson and John Turpin.

None of which would have been possible without the generous support of our sponsors and supporters - Bounding Fire Productions, Hazardous Movement, Advancing Fire, Battleschool, Dispatches From The Bunker, Ken Smith Fine Art, Lone Canuck Publishing, Second Chance Games, Mario Aceto dice towers and Ian Willey for his superb dioramas / models. Thank you.

Unfortunately we received some sad news during our time in Blackpool. A stalwart of the UK tournament scene, Joe Arthur, sadly passed away just a short time before he was due to travel. RIP Joe, you will be missed.

Bounding Fire Blackpool will reconvene at the same location, 13th-17th November 2024, for more friendly, intense ASL action - keep your eyes on the Blog (https://boundingfireblackpool.blogspot.com/) for updates. Many thanks to all those who attended and I look forward to seeing you again next year.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Cheers Simon. I am glad everyone fun and I too, am saddened by Joe's passing. -- jim

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Simon for running the tournament. Fun was had by all, and I throughly enjoyed meeting up with everyone.