Bounding Fire 2020 - Blackpool, UK. November 2020

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I suppose choosing sides is sort of bidding, even if the balance is minimal - often battle hardening a 7-0 leader, as I recall. The problem with ABS bids is that it will interfere with the feedback to HoB regarding the balance of their scenarios. I think we just have to take the rough with the smooth, although being able to battle-harden 8-0 or 8-1 leaders too might be slightly more useful.
What are ABS bids? Sorry, OMOOT.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
What are ABS bids? Sorry, OMOOT.
Australian Bidding System
Whereby there are 7 levels of balance varying from 0 (ie. scenario is left as is), through +3 for each side. +1 being a minor balance change. +2/+3 being more significant changes.
Where both players want the same side, they decide which balance advantage to give over to their opponent for the privilege. The player who gives up the larger balance wins and gets their chosen side. If they remain drawn, you choose randomly and give over said balance.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That statement is not a reflection on Martin and Simon who do a great job with Bounding Fire. Double One is in the summer and if you have time to look around the UK it is better to do that in June than in a wet, rainy and cold November. It is also closer to Bovington Tank Museum - a must see if you come to the UK. Also a short train ride to London from the tourny.
If the numbers are better in November, I would really like to do Blackpool. If they remain good, I would like to do Double One in 2021. If I can help it, I am going to try to get to all the European tournaments I that I can while I am based in Europe :). -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It would be great to see you in sunny Blackpool! If you can make it, let's try to book in a friendly game before the tournament proper starts. I do find the format of the Bounding Fire tournament very refreshing as it requires no advance preparation whatsoever. I also find the process of bidding on and playing fresh scenarios tests a different part of the ASL brain, so to speak.

Toby
It's a date. I will try to post here if I am going to make it. I am not going to decide before October or so. -- jim

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It's a date. I will try to post here if I am going to make it. I am not going to decide before October or so. -- jim
Book your room at the Headlands mate if you don't mind. Charles (owner) doesn't charge anything up front. But it will keep him up to speed on numbers.

It will be nice to put a face to a name.

M

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Book your room at the Headlands mate if you don't mind. Charles (owner) doesn't charge anything up front. But it will keep him up to speed on numbers.

It will be nice to put a face to a name.

M
When it gets closer, I will contact you for recommendations on planes, trains, and where to stay. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Australian Bidding System
Whereby there are 7 levels of balance varying from 0 (ie. scenario is left as is), through +3 for each side. +1 being a minor balance change. +2/+3 being more significant changes.
Where both players want the same side, they decide which balance advantage to give over to their opponent for the privilege. The player who gives up the larger balance wins and gets their chosen side. If they remain drawn, you choose randomly and give over said balance.
Thanks !

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Schmidt's Roadblock out of Onslaught to Orsha is a great example. This was one of the scenarios played last year. Despite most of these scenarios being more or less 'final and ready' for publication a number of players commented on balance. BFP therefore made some changes prior to publication."

I think what you meant to say was that there was a large amount of whinging (translation for US readers = whining) on that one. In fact I seem to remember a whole lot of whinging going on for the whole tournament...............
Especially from me, as I played you in this one and thought it very difficult for the Russian (me). Martin, would like to know what changes they made to this one, as I gave plenty of feedback as I recall - constructive, hopefully..

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Especially from me, as I played you in this one and thought it very difficult for the Russian (me).

Ian - welcome to Gamesquad. I did not realize that this was you. You are not an VASSAL now are you?

I seem to remember at one point in that game all I had onboard that was not broken was one German squad with a MMG and some tanks - mainly because of your sniper rolling a one on every activation.

I still won...................so yes, very tough on the Russians that one.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Um. What's OMOOT? Internet doesn't help here.
Old man out of touch. Coined it on a thread a while back. Also OMSIP. Old man stuck in past.

The how to get better at using AFV thread. Asked Sparafucil what YMMV stood for.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Lol thanks :)

I'm glad you're here. You encourage and support others. We need more of that around here, and everywhere.
Thank you very much!!! Not a rules guy anymore, you can forget a lot in 25 years, so I try to contribute as best I can. Thanks again, Captain Bacchus and I appreciate and cherish your kind words!!

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If the numbers are better in November, I would really like to do Blackpool. If they remain good, I would like to do Double One in 2021. If I can help it, I am going to try to get to all the European tournaments I that I can while I am based in Europe :). -- jim
Re: Double One. Do it. It's in a beautiful location, and you can add a few days in London (as London is a ~30 min train
ride away) on either end.

I live in Calgary and attended Double One from 2011. The first time was on a whim. It was one of the best ASL decisions
I have made.

Sadly, I've never been to Blackpool; by all accounts, the hotel is excellent, and Martin and Simon run an
excellent event.

indy

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
And from Belgium it's gonna be much easier to reach most locations. :D

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
And from Belgium it's gonna be much easier to reach most locations. :D
If it comes to fruition. If it does, it will take a while. Won't much matter to me in the long run. I already divested myself of most everything I own :) -- jim

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Joe. As Marketing Director for Bounding Fire Blackpool. I'm afraid you're fired.
Joe, welcome to the club.???

I have been hired and fired as Datenschutzbeautragter for the Grenadier tournament due to some critical views on German DatenschutzGesetzgebung, one of the strange hobbies of the German people. You have been fired as Marketing Director due to some critical comments on one of the strange hobbies of the British people, the weather.

My strange and very sad conciliation was that Grenadier was cancelled. Let‘s hope Bounding Fire is not cancelled, but let it rain. Let there be a torrent.?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
You would be better going to Double One if possible.
Jim - you should indeed follow your plan to go to all of the British tournaments. Wonderful events with English and Scottish people at their best, always fun to play with. Although the Scotts are a little hard for me to understand even when they do their best?.

Joe has a point though. Double one is held at a wonderful college in the middle of the summer, the other two are held in possible the biggest dump of the British isles, Blackpool, in November and February, respectively. And here I am not only reflecting on my own experience but also quoting my one and only Golf buddy, a British former ambassador who lives halfway between Blackpool and Scotland in the winter (as well as this summer due to Covid). He fails to understand that ASL outweighs Blackpool???.

Last edited:

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jim - you should indeed follow your plan to go to all of the British tournaments. Wonderful events with English and Scottish people at their best, always fun to play with. Although the Scotts a little hard for me to understand even when they do their best?.

Joe has a point though. Double one is held at a wonderful college in the middle of the summer, the other two are held in possible the biggest dump of the British isles, Blackpool, in November and February, respectively. And here I am not only reflecting on my own experience but also quoting my one and only Golf buddy, a British former ambassador who lives halfway between Blackpool and Scotland in the winter (as well as this summer due to Covid). He fails to understand that ASL outweighs Blackpool???.
Magnus I remember well you were struggling with the Scottish accent when we went to the indian restaurant with Martin Vicca and Steve Cook. As an Englishman I struggled with Steve's accent after he had a couple of beers!!