Bougainville Campaign Game?

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question for the crowd:

Has anyone ever created a campaign game based on the Japanese counterattack on Bougainville in mid-March 1944? I was just reading up on it, and the back and forth nature of the fighting, combined with both sides pouring in artillery and reinforcements would seem to lend itself well to CG treatment.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Where is suicide creek? There is a CG for that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Question for the crowd:

Has anyone ever created a campaign game based on the Japanese counterattack on Bougainville in mid-March 1944? I was just reading up on it, and the back and forth nature of the fighting, combined with both sides pouring in artillery and reinforcements would seem to lend itself well to CG treatment.
Not a CG, but there was HoB's "Battling Buckeyes" scenario pack with scenarios by Mark Pitcavage. I've played some of them and liked them.

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Britain was the island that contained the Japanese base of Rabaul. Bougainville is some distance southeast of Rabaul ( roughly 450 or so km), in the Solomon Island chain, and held the Japanese airfields at Buin and Buka, and a small seaplane ramp and dockside fueling station for smaller IJN vessels at Buin.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
LOL. Can you recommend a café? :D

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where is suicide creek? There is a CG for that.
It's about 5 miles Southeast of here, and maybe 2 miles Northwest of here. For more specifics, check out this map.

Not a CG, but there was HoB's "Battling Buckeyes" scenario pack with scenarios by Mark Pitcavage. I've played some of them and liked them.

von Marwitz
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll see about tracking down a copy.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geoff,
Not really a CG but Dispatched From The Bunker has done at least 6 scenarios in their Bougainville Series. I haven't played them all so not sure if they fall into that criteria but one does for sure: DB057 The Bloody Tokorina Perimeter. The only MMP offering I note for the period and locale is AP125 Ambush On South Knob. Other MMP offerings for operations in Bougainville are, ASL67 Cibik's Ridge; ASL73 Hell Or High Water; J101 The Coconut Plantation; Out Of The Bunker: OB8 Unhappy Trails (2 part scenario), OB9 First Crack At Hellszapoppin' Ridge. Paddington Bears also has several scenarios featuring the Australians and Japanese in their Break Contact Pack. If interested, let me know & I'll work something up for a Twin Cities ASL meeting for you to peruse.:cool:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geoff,
Not really a CG but Dispatched From The Bunker has done at least 6 scenarios in their Bougainville Series. I haven't played them all so not sure if they fall into that criteria but one does for sure: DB057 The Bloody Tokorina Perimeter. The only MMP offering I note for the period and locale is AP125 Ambush On South Knob. Other MMP offerings for operations in Bougainville are, ASL67 Cibik's Ridge; ASL73 Hell Or High Water; J101 The Coconut Plantation; Out Of The Bunker: OB8 Unhappy Trails (2 part scenario), OB9 First Crack At Hellszapoppin' Ridge. Paddington Bears also has several scenarios featuring the Australians and Japanese in their Break Contact Pack. If interested, let me know & I'll work something up for a Twin Cities ASL meeting for you to peruse.:cool:

Thank you for the recommendations! One day, in a magical world where I have both time and space, I would love to put Hell or High Water on the table, if only to get the LCVPs out again.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the recommendations! One day, in a magical world where I have both time and space, I would love to put Hell or High Water on the table, if only to get the LCVPs out again.
Me too! Tried AP101 When I Call Roll? See ya this weekend I hope!

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me too! Tried AP101 When I Call Roll? See ya this weekend I hope!
I have. Curtis slaughtered D/116 on the beach in a game that made the opening of Saving Private Ryan look like a Disney film. That being said, I'd happily play again as either side. Maybe the next time we'd get the Seaborne Assault rules closer to correct.