Books: what are you currently reading?

Reaction score
Avalon said:
I have SO many things I should be reading, my bedside table is piled high. But today it's Linn's Stamp News and "The World of Jack Aubrey - Twelve-pounders, Frigates, Cutlasses, and Insignia of His Majesty's Royal Navy", by David Miller.

Tackled the Treaty of Versailles for a bit today but that was a tad heavy ;)
Avalon, since you knew who "white devil" was you might like my current read. "White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America" by Stephen Brumwell. It's a detailed account of Rogers' Rangers raid on St. Francis............

aktarian

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSlovenia
jorge said:
"Panzer Aces 2" by Franz Kurowski.
Worth reading? I have Panzer Aces and found it a bit erratic and not story doesn't "flow" that well. Which ones he covers?

Infantry aces is interesting as well.

Reading: "Elizabeth I", Anne Somerset.

Next: "It never snows in September" Robert J. Kershaw (German view of Market-Garden)

Avalon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Lance Williams said:
Avalon, since you knew who "white devil" was you might like my current read. "White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America" by Stephen Brumwell. It's a detailed account of Rogers' Rangers raid on St. Francis............
Thanks Lance. I've made a note of that one. It looks extremely interesting. I'll have a look around and see if I can get it here but if not, it's pretty easy to find on the web (sometimes cheaper than having the book store order them in too !)

I wish I could find the time to get into all the reading I want to do. (I still have to finish that bounty one and I have an interesting bushranger one that I want to refer to on that thread too at some stage). I've had a lot of luck at the charity shop near me lately - titles such as Anthony Hill's "Soldier Boy" about a Gallipoli soldier; Glassop's "We were the Rats", Moore's 'We were Soldiers Once and Young" and a couple of new ones I'm keen to read - Thomas Flagel's "The History Buff's Guide to the Civil War" (it's like a set of summaries of key events - good for beginners like me), and this one which looks very good (I like personal war stories), Barry Dickens' "Ordinary Heroes - Personal Recollections of Australians at War". I also have my Hornblower ones to yet to read, and for some reason Dostoevsky is still sitting looking at me after a year. Err yep, I have some work to do, that's for sure !

(Definately putting that one on the list Lance, plus I want to follow up on a couple you and the guys mentioned from the Boar War and Zulu War threads.)

Mim :)

owen36

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Ha ha,

I am currently reading:
- Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France by Ernest R. May.
- Sharing Secrets With Stalin: How the Allies Traded Intelligence, 1941-1945 by bradley f smith
- Behind the Battle by Ralph Bennett, a book about the western allied intelligence gathering activities(mostly us en uk).

I am sort of reading them all at the time.
And the on and of some bits and pieces from other books.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Must admit I tend to be reading a number of books at any one time.

Right now...

Irish Kings and High Kingsby FJ Byrne

Karl Marx by Francis Whelan

The Battle of New York by Barnet Schecter

The Lordship of Ireland in the Middle Ages by James Lydon

+ browsing through any number of others as occasion demands.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Currently reading an oooold 10-volume tome on Friedrich the Great (actual spelling) - written in 1912, picked up all ten volumes for under US$20 - good deal :)

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Priest said:
Currently "The Sand Pebbles" about American gunboats in China in the early 1900's.
Always meant to read that. I remember there was a copy in my parents house.

Is it good?

Priest

Reaction score
Wolfe Tone said:
Always meant to read that. I remember there was a copy in my parents house.

Is it good?
Yes, very. Set about 25 years after the Boxer Rebellion the book follows Jake Holman as he serves aboard the San Pablo (the crew are nicknamed the Sand Pebbles) an American gunboat that is patrolling the Hunan region. It can be a hard read for some considering that there are racist atitudes amoung the American crew towards the Chinese who assist in running the boat. There was a movie made of the book that starred Steve McQueen.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I'm vacillating about weather to start 'The order of the deaths head' by Höhn, a six hundred page classic on the ss, or 'The Road to Stalingrad' by John Ericson, or 'Air Power' by Stephen Budiansky...

???

Any suggestions, is the classic over six hundred page long story of the SS still a good read, or was it a classic because it was one of the first objective looks at the whole SS 'corporation'?

I will anyway 'nibble' at a little paper back for variety as I do, and I have John Simpsons: 'The wars against Saddam, taking the hard road to baghdad'

Simpson, John: chief of BBC foreign correspondents I belive, and lives in Pakistan, with his wife, if my memory serves me correctly, got almost killed by friendly fire j-dam in the last Iraq war, a man who knows what he talks about, and write's with a sence of humour always looming behind it all, as if saying, please dont be so awfully serious, I cant anymore anyway...

His last book: 'It's a mad world my masters' was a wonderful collection of funny, and yet nailbitingly thrilling stories of how he has managed by somekind of higher intervention, to survive he's last twenty years career, a great read I recommend it. Here is a journalist who says it straight, disagree or agree, but he is honest in his writing.

M.E.Eldridge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy.
My dad read that recently,he said he enjoyed it.

I am currently reading:

Passing of the Armies-Chamberlain
Gettysburg-Newt Gingrich
and for school:The Good Earth
Next up:
Hardtack and Cofee
Grant Comes East
April 1865

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
'The Road to Stalingrad' by John Ericson

A bit on the dry side. I read it through but that was only because I forked out good money for a copy.

That being said Ericson did a lot of research from the Soviet side so there is plenty of detail that you wouldn't get in works published in the West prior to this book.

Hope that helps. :)

Reaction score
Wolfe Tone said:
Must admit I tend to be reading a number of books at any one time.

Right now...

Irish Kings and High Kingsby FJ Byrne

Karl Marx by Francis Whelan

The Battle of New York by Barnet Schecter

The Lordship of Ireland in the Middle Ages by James Lydon

+ browsing through any number of others as occasion demands.
Wolfe, Eric probably has some good insight on the Schecter book as he was taken by the author on a guided tour of the battlefields in question about 1-2 months ago..........

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bought a few today at a garage sale.

A MAN CALLED INTREPID (THE SECRET WAR)INTELLIGENCE OPERATIONS IN WWII.

THROUGH BLOOD AND FIRE (SELECTED CW PAPERS OF JOSHUA CHAMBERLAIN)

THE BATTLE FOR OKINAWA (A JAPANESE OFFICERS EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT)

CRUSADE (THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE PERSIAN GULF WAR)

UTMOST SAVAGERY (THE THREE DAYS OF TARAWA)

All hardbacks for a buck apiece.........hard to turn down.

Mark
Deo Vindice

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan" and now reading "Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG">

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Lance Williams said:
Wolfe, Eric probably has some good insight on the Schecter book as he was taken by the author on a guided tour of the battlefields in question about 1-2 months ago..........
Thanks Lance. I've been in contact with Eric on this. :)