Books: what are you currently reading?

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Panzer Battles by Mellethin is IMO a brilliant book and is a great study of Operational warfare.

Sure it's byast but name a military memoir that is not!

Guderians work I also have but never read it cover to cover, it always struck me as being over burdened with detail that distracted from the main story.

But its a while since I picked it up so more than happy to be wrong about it as I paid good money for the hardback version :)

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Just finished The Wars of the Brucesand found it very interesting.

I learnt a lot about the wars and raids along the Scottish/English borders and about Robet Bruce, his brother Edward Bruce and England's King Edward II.

Also the Irish campaign was highly interesting which led me to purchase Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars by Sean Duffy.

However I will hold off on that for now and proceed from tomorrow to start on

Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II by Krisztian Ungvary

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the thick of Hew Strachan's The First World War - Volume 1: To Arms. Surprisingly easy to read for an academic author and yet puts forward a whole lot of new (to me at least) aspects of the first months of the conflict.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:
I gave up on that one and now I'm in

"Somalia on $5 a Day : A soldier's Story"
by MARTIN STANTON

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0891418229/qid=1107208390/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-2215795-2835210?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It is a report from the deployment of American forces to Somalia in the year before the famous "Black Hawk Down" battle.

Contrary to what the title and look imply, this book is rather oversaturated with military details. If you want to know precisely how a light division's infantry battalion was layed out in 1992, this is your book.

It also gives better or more impressions of the situation in Somalia at the time and what peacekeepers are facing.

There are many direct "lessons learned" in there, from when it is worth to defend a warehouse, whether it is a good idea to let some of the supplies slip and what it must feel like for a few tiny Japanese businessmen to try to seperate two NYC street gangs battling each other.

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Finished "The Influence of Air Power upon History" by Walter J. Boyne.
Interesting read, focused on U.S.

In between I read "Armored Cav" by Tom Clancy to get up to speed for the game "Flashpoint Germany".
A nice depiction of the Cav, although a bit dated (1994), the Comanche and XM8 were scrapped since, I think.

Now started "Green Team" by Richard Marcinko for something light in between. :p

Cheers
Oliver

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
"Panzer Aces 2" by Franz Kurowski. "Bloody Biscay", Ju88 long range maritime fighter unit. Some stuff about WW1.

Marines

Reaction score
The Comming Plague-Newly Emerging Diseases In A World Out Of Balance by Laurie Garrett and The Principles of Virology-Molecular Biology, Pathogenesis and Control.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfe Tone said:
Just finished The Wars of the Brucesand found it very interesting.

I learnt a lot about the wars and raids along the Scottish/English borders and about Robet Bruce, his brother Edward Bruce and England's King Edward II.

Also the Irish campaign was highly interesting which led me to purchase Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars by Sean Duffy.

However I will hold off on that for now and proceed from tomorrow to start on

Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II by Krisztian Ungvary
Been doing family research....found out FINALLY after searching for years that my lineage leads back to William Christian "Illiam Dhone". From there up, my line leads to Fletcher Christian and "HMS Bounty".
I have several cousins around Milntown, Isle of Mann as well as Scotland and Ireland.
Can you recommend any good books on the "Bounty"?

Mark
Deo Vindice
Salus Per Christum

Reaction score
Wolfe Tone said:
Panzer Battles by Mellethin is IMO a brilliant book and is a great study of Operational warfare.

Sure it's byast but name a military memoir that is not!

Guderians work I also have but never read it cover to cover, it always struck me as being over burdened with detail that distracted from the main story.

But its a while since I picked it up so more than happy to be wrong about it as I paid good money for the hardback version :)
I would give von Mellethin's book a :thumup:, ironically I read it last year as we had the first CDG about the Crusader Offensive in the western desert. Personally my favorite book of this genre is Hans von Lucks "Panzer Commander"..........

Reaction score
Phil Kost said:
Just read "General John Buford" by Edward Longacre

Phil
Another good one that I read a while ago. It only seems in recent years that Buford gets the credit he deserves.........

I guess having Sam Elliot portray you on film doesn't hurt either.........

starmanje

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Garmany and the Second World War Volume 6.
Tank Tactics - Normandy to Lorraine

Thanks
John

moon6

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "Not A Good Day To Die, The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda".

It's a great book, but after reading it I wanted to E-mail the author and ask "Did the military learn anything from this?". I sure hope they did.

Avalon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have SO many things I should be reading, my bedside table is piled high. But today it's Linn's Stamp News and "The World of Jack Aubrey - Twelve-pounders, Frigates, Cutlasses, and Insignia of His Majesty's Royal Navy", by David Miller.

Tackled the Treaty of Versailles for a bit today but that was a tad heavy ;)