Books: what are you currently reading?

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Just started reading last night:

The Wars of the Bruces: Scotland,England and Ireland 1306-1328.

by Colm McNamee

I bought this some years ago but I am only geting around to reading it now. It reads well and the author covers not just the political and military action but also the economic, social and cultural impacts that these series of Wars had on Britain and Ireland at the time.

aneifer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm almost done reading "Fighting in Hell, The German Ordeal on the Eastern Front."

It is based on the recollections of veteran German commanders while serving in Russia.
It's pretty detailed in the analysis of weather, equipment, roads, rails, tactical movment, terrain, and logistics. A very good read for those who are interested in the Eastern Front.

Another excellent book is "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beavor. I've read it 4 times, and need to buy another copy of it.

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I'm continuing on my own with some things from a 20th C lit course I took a few months ago.

Dieppe: August 19 by Eric Maguire. This was published in 1963. I enjoy some of the older books. They have more primary sources available to the author and it's interesting to compare them to more recent analysis and examine what has been learned or unlearned.

True Canadian War Stories from Legion Magazine. Not as good as I had hoped. Too much is written by a single woman about her experience as a WAAF.

The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill. This series won the Nobel prize for literature. Read it and it's obvious why. An excellent series. If you ever see the reading list of George Patton, put out by his widow, on it there is an entry "Anything by Churchill." This is Churchill's peak of writing.

Last edited:

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reading TORPEDO JUNCTION by Homer H. Hickam, Jr. :cool:

This is about the U-boat war off the Atlantic coast in 1942.
Amazing how effective the U-boats were and the lack of coastal
waters defense by the Americans :( . Nice read. :D

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Juno said:
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I'm continuing on my own with some things from a 20th C lit course I took a few months ago.

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

Good Book that! I read it last year and was very impressed by the quality of the writing.

Intend to read Heart of Darkness this year.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Amongst the Marines, by Stephen Preece

- my fiancee got it for me...so I have to read it. More about the process of becoming a Royal Marine than any historical info. Quite well written though :)

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone read "Five Fingers" about Vietnam, supposidly
hypothetical??? I'll have to check on who is the author.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Custer6 said:
Hi TigerSqn,

The Med Campaign does have many negative features.

Hope you will let us know what you think of the book when you read it.
I started reading it about a week ago.
I've just reached the Torch landings (page 350 or so) and so far it's a pretty good read.
If I'm still around when I finish it, I'll definitely post my thoughts. :thumup:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hypothetical

dgfred said:
Has anyone read "Five Fingers" about Vietnam, supposidly
hypothetical??? I'll have to check on who is the author.
I read the Five fingers in 1979. Very fictionary and could have a slight possibility of being real... But doubtful. Took me a few days to read while on a Tank training exercise in Korea. So if you want to "waste" some time, then go ahead and read it.

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin Kenneally said:
I read the Five fingers in 1979. Very fictionary and could have a slight possibility of being real... But doubtful. Took me a few days to read while on a Tank training exercise in Korea. So if you want to "waste" some time, then go ahead and read it.
I have 'wasted' my time on 3 or 4 different occaisions :eek: :laugh: . Loved the book when
I was younger. I agree with you on the slight
possibility part! Fun read. :D

Golf33

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I just finished reading "Chester Wilmot Reports" which is mainly a bunch of Wilmot's more significant dispatches from Tobruk, Greece, and New Guinea. Very interesting stuff, especially his clashes with Blamey.

Regards

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm currently reading The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire 1936-1945 by John Toland. The book won the Pulitzer Prize and I've read John Toland's stuff before. So far its a great read.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Panzer Leader by General Heinz Guderian.

aneifer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lance Williams said:
It's not just everywhere you can get info about nuclear bombs, tattoos, and lock picking at the same site........talk about "one stop shopping"............
Seriously, I just wanted to learn how my GPS works, now I could make my own stuff and take over a small island

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Don Maddox said:
Could you post some comments about it when you have an opinion, please? I am thinking of reading this one also, but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks,
Oliver

The Purist

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don Maddox said:
RichardS said:
Oddly enough; I'm reading Panzer Battles by Mellethin.
I've read both of these and do sugeest caution with 'conclusions' drawn by both generals (they were written in the 50s, after all). Good details on the German view and resources but somewhat suspect on 'the other side of the hill' aspect(especially now that so much more is known about the Russian front).