Books: what are you currently reading?

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I just started a double whammy of US soldiers with co***es of steel.

First the classic 'Black hawk down', by: Mark Bowden, complements the film and gives a far better picture of the action.
So, if you thought the film was intence, wait until you read this book!

Secondly 'Death in the A Shau valley' ( L company LRRPs in Vietnam 1969-70). By: Larry Chambers

A very good book on the (nominal) Rangers of the 101st Divisons LRRPs operating mostly in the A Shau valley, daring six man teams, who along with their helicopter infil/exfil teams, and the sar flyers just do amazing things, defying death on many an occasion, and some meeting it inevitably.

I found the writing had a familiarity with Bravo two zero, I guess when you are on that level the need for bravado in the writing is non existent, an exellent read!

(Although, I thought I would be reading about SOG missions when I ordered the book from Amazon, I do not regret it one bit at all)!

R.N. Armstrong

ACG Author
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished Michael Howard's The Invention of Peace and the Reinvention of War. As master of the short book, Howard sums three hundred years of nation-states work towards peace, and after finishing the book, he tacked on the reinvention of war piece in response to 9/11. Well worth the read for the context of our times.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm re-reading Ripcord - Screaming Eagles Under Siege - Vietnam 1970 by Keith W. Nolan. If you're looking for a book describing in details how the war was fought, especially in the latter stage, this one is a must read.

Leud

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Britains Forgotten Wars

I'm reading Britains Forgotten Wars by Ian Hernon.

A collection of 3 of his books which cover the 'small' wars many of which I had never heard of, or only seen small mentions of on memorials or in other media.

Very interesting insight into the victorian collonialism and height of the empire and some amazing tales of individual courage.

Suffers for a lack of maps but still an excellent book.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently I am reading Brotherhood of Valor by Jeffery Wert. I just finished The Killer Angels while vacationing in Michigan.

Thanks

granite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "Panzer Aces" by Franz Kurowski, tells of "The Legendary WWII Battles of 6 German Tank Commanders". Interesting look from "the other side".

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently I am reading two books one biography and one nonfiction. The biography is STONEWALL by Byron Farwell and the nonfiction one is A BROTHERHOOD OF VALOR by Jeffry D. Wert. Both very good books!

Thanks

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"Hitler & his Generals: Military Conferences 1942-1945"
by David Glantz and ??

Last edited:

Dutchbird

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Right now on the shelf is "Great and Glorious Days" about the Duke of Marlborough's camapign in the War of the Spanish Succession, in particular the campaigns that led to Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenaarde and Malplaquet.

Further, as a diversion booklets in the campaign series (just finished Boyne, next up: Towton, Bosworth, Vimeiro.. my total collection is approaching 45-50).

In the near future (due to studies) numerous books on the Roman army and imperial biographies. The series published by Ryton is commendable.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished "To Rule the Waves" by Arthur Herman. Excellent read!! It discusses the history of the Royal Navy and the impact it had on the history of the world. It is definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Napoleon said:
Just finished "To Rule the Waves" by Arthur Herman. Excellent read!! It discusses the history of the Royal Navy and the impact it had on the history of the world. It is definitely one of the best books I have ever read.
I've heard nothing but good things about this one.

7thcav

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just started Gettysburg by Stephen W Sears,With Castels of steel by Robert Massie waiting in the wings. Just finished War without hate by John Bierman and Colin Smith.which I thought was a pretty decent read about the Desert Campaign 1940-43

Last edited: