Books: What are you currently reading?

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Forgotten War: America in Korea 1950 - 1953 by Clay Blair.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Structure of Evolutionary Theory
-Stephen Jay Gould

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Structure of Evolutionary Theory
-Stephen Jay Gould
an interesting read

1525011220214.png- we covered this one well in our class " The Human Spirit, Spirituality, and Essence" about 6 months ago.

Have you ever read Durkheim's "Elementary Forms of Religious Life"? Or Margaret Mead's "Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies"? Gould's assertions tend to base from certain theories of social interactionism as one of the three main areas remaining to be explored about how natural selection integrates itself within the realm of the human experience.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm ashamed to admit I've never read it, although the story has been told and re-told a thousand times in popular culture.

I have to say, it's really good. It's old school, for sure. But it's also a story that sucks you in really quickly, and there's a lot more nuance to it than what is typically portrayed in Hollywood films.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm ashamed to admit I've never read it, although the story has been told and re-told a thousand times in popular culture.

I have to say, it's really good. It's old school, for sure. But it's also a story that sucks you in really quickly, and there's a lot more nuance to it than what is typically portrayed in Hollywood films.
After reading a few classic works of fiction, you remember why it is that some classical works of fiction remain so popular from generation to generation and are re-made or re-cast into new but familiar roles- like Dracula.. :)

g_young

Reaction score
"Ten days to destiny: the battle of Crete" by Kiriakopoulos. (1985). It's old, and it's stylised like a personal account/novelisation. But for all that it gives me valuable information on Greek forces and the Cretan point of view.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
fabulously detailed book with to die for maps and pictures. Giving it a reread as I gear up to tackling this project again.

Narvik.jpeg

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1533693596996.png

A classic - been far too long since I last read Tolstoy - needed a good choice for a 19th-century lit class - hard to beat his brute realism, for finding good example media to build position papers around.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Finished "Persian Fire" by Tom Holland

A non-hardcore history of the pre-Alexander Persian-Greek wars and the roots of the Persian Empire. Still quite detailed and a very readable account. For a small number of readers it will be just a starting for further investigation but for most it will be quite sufficient for that period.

Of course my non-hardcore could be someone else's hardcore.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ADOLF HITLER by John Toland. Ok so it's a book that's 42 years old. But LOTS of interviews, comments from those who knew him. I never knew that the 1920s were so politically chaotic and into the vacuum steps...Adolf....

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Finishing my second read of "Dynasty" by Tom Holland. The history of Rome's Julio-Claudian emperors. On the subject of Ancient Rome, I'd also recommend Mary Beard's "SPQR". I'm also currently making my way through Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon" - on Kindle, because my physical copy is too big and heavy to read in bed or take with me on the train to work...