Books: What are you currently reading?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Reading a historical account of China that starts off from the "Taiping Rebellion" (a Christian kingdom of Heaven around mid 1800s) to post Second Sino Japanese war written by a Japanese scholar and translated in Taiwan.

It certainly offers a good perspective and the Taiwan translation fills in the parts that China translators skipped.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Long punt here - looking for good reference books on the Merovingian Kings era of the Early Middle Age period in Medieval France and the Papal Kingdoms geographical areas.

Anyone might have a few suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't seen anything particular to the kings, but the two decent books on the period I've found are:
Before France and Germany: The Creation and Transformation of the Merovingian World
The Merovingian Kingdoms 450–751

I wouldn't consider either of them great, but they're what I know of.
Highly appreciate the tip! :) I will check these two out. I became interested after reading Dr. Paul Freedman's books on the era. Such a bloodthirsty time period in Western Civ. I bet a TV miniseries of this era would make "Game of Thrones" seem like "Alice in Wonderland". ;)

Foggy2001

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Battle of the Tanks - Kursk 1943 by David Clark. I love the fact that he exposes Model's failures on the northern thrust :)

Foggy2001

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow - I didn't know you could dream on line - there are sites for that :mad: Currently - " The Retreat " by Michael Jones :D

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Is the Shelby Foote series on the ACW as good as I imagine it would be from listening to him talk on the Ken Burns documentary ??

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading Red Dawn by Ralph Peters. I'm nearly done with it. Not bad. At the same time I'm playing Compass games' "Brezhnev's War." I'm five turns in (out of 10) and am enjoying the game much.