Books: What are you currently reading?

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still " Unknown Soldiers " and started " 25 Yards of War ".

Went to the Friends of the Kent Free Library book Sale today with the wife. Got there just as the $1.00 per grocery bag of books sale began. We were like kids in a candy store with a pocket full of coins. Ended up going back after the first trip and ended up with 48 books, 6 CDs and 7 DVDs for $5.00!! Plenty of cookbooks, collectibles, military and of course cat books including one of old cat postcards the wife overlooked which she absolutely loves. What a great asset libraries are.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started a book that is, surprisingly, pretty good so far. Normally I stay far away from any book with Charles Sharp's name in it, but it was recommended to me and I bought it cheap, used, so I think I'll get my money's worth.
61SQ1iEguML._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I usually like to read several books at the same time, that way I can go back and forth as I please. I'm actually reading 3 right now.

The Longest Day, by Cornelius Ryan, about D-Day. This one is pretty hard to put down. I have Stephen Ambrose's book waiting in the wings on the same topic.

Catch-22, by Joseph Heller, which is really fun to read. Very light, I read it on my Kindle while I do the elliptical at the gym. Makes the time go quickly.

Diamonds Are Forever, by Ian Fleming. It's way different than the movie but really relaxing to read before I go to bed.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Catch-22 is one of the most depressing books I've read, although it is laugh out loud funny at times. I, too, usually have few books going at once, usually a fiction and a non-fiction, and, lately, the fiction is a re-read. So, I am reading McCullough's Rome series again, too. I've also just bought Four Days' Battle of 1666 which has gotten very good reviews. However, it's font is so small I wish there was a kindle version.
51vpY7J08fL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read a lot - currently reading Gail Collins "America's Women - 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates & Heroines." Recently read Thomas Dolby's bio, "The Speed of Sound," liked the music half much more than his adventures in tech (you can thank him for Ringtone technology); David Halberstam's "The Children" (Civil Rights era history), Nancy Isenberg's "White Trash," "A Square Meal" (about how the Depression change how we eat in the States) and "Siege and Symphony" WW2 & Shostatovich.

On deck I have "The Train to Crystal City" (resettlement of people in the US during WW2), 109 East Place and Tm Egan's "The Big Burn."

SimonP

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Just got Fighters Over the Fleet by Norman Friedman, Naval air defence from biplanes to the Cold War. I am a fan of Mr Friedman's books and was lucky enough o meet him at a conference at the national Museum of the Royal Navy and sat next to him at dinner on HMS Victory (that's enough showing off)

Finished the Eagles of Rome books by Ben Kane, not a bad brace of books actually.

Currently open on my bedside cabinet is
The Kaiser's Battlefleet by Aidnan Dobson
The War in the West: A New History by James Holland
Conquest (Part of the Kydd series) by Julian Stockwin

I enjoy cooking too, my latest addition to my cookery books is Made in India, Cooked in Britain by Meera Sodha. Learning how to cok curries from scratch is my next Thing to Learn. (Apart from Armoured Assault in ASL that is)

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reading War Zone Fenris: The Wrath of Magnus, a Warhammer 40,000 book. This is the story book that comes in the two book set. The other book is the rules to play this out in WH40K games.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I'm reading the Rebus series of books by Ian Rankin right now.

Book four or five in, Mortal Causes. Very good reading.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Learning how to cok curries from scratch is my next Thing to Learn. (Apart from Armoured Assault in ASL that is)
I'm not sure I want one of your cok curries. I might give that a miss thanks.

:) :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Reading (for the 5th or 6th time now) George Nipes 'Decision in the Ukraine', damn fine book and very informative.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you've not ever enjoyed a Douglass Reeman novel (or his pen name - Alexander Kent), I cannot suggest a better time than now. three weeks ago, we lost a great author of our times.

If you did or do enjoy whatever novel you might find and read of his, consider dropping a line to his widow via email, highseas1 at btconnect dot com

Mrs Reeman will respond to emails from all readers of her late husband or her own works. Douglas was a naval officer and served in WW2 and Korea, mostly on those bloody awful plywood boats known as MTBs and MLs of the little navy. He will be missed by this avid reader for over 20 years now.

"...Home is the sailor, home from the sea..."

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you will great
I just finished Jason Marks Into Oblivion: The story of Pioneer Battalion 305 and it was an outstanding read. I like that the wartime history before Stalingrad is given in great detail, and the Stalingrad period contains detailed info. Very good book. Now I'm starting Death of the Leaping Horseman. I know it's an old book, but I just got it. My lovely wife bought it for me for Christmas. An Infantryman in Stalingrad will follow that if I'm not too depressed from reading all the Stalingrad accounts. I like how Jasons books are written to make you feel invested in the soldiers accounts.
ly enjoy DLH - it is one of the iconic reads of Stalingrad, and ranks right up there with Island of Fire, IMO.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just bought Winged Victory and The Boys of Point du Hoc today - both recommendations from this thread and others similar to it. I really enjoy threads like these - keeps my "wish List" on Amazon well-stocked with what to order next, and the family always hasa good idea what to get me for the next birthday! :)D)

KRL, Jon H

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blitzkrieg by Niklas Zetterling. It's not great (the prose feels translated), but I'm almost finished so will keep going.

American Sanctuary: Mutiny, Martyrdom, and National Identity in the Age of Revolution by A. Roger Ekirch. My dad sent this to me, and I read about forty pages before I put it down as I had the other two books (still wading through The Glorious Cause) going and want to get them done first. Those first forty pages were very good; if the rest of the book holds up, I can see why he sent it to me.