Books: What are you currently reading?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was looking at getting Bloody April by Peter Hart, but Amazon had some foolishness with their rebates, so ended up getting another of his, SOMME SUCCESS: The Royal Flying Corps and the Battle of The Somme 1916. So far it's been okay, with lots of pilot/observer quotes. I'd like more operational detail, but I will need to look elsewhere for that.

I got it cheap as an ebook with some rebates I had (BTW, Amazon riled me up over using the rebates you can earn if you forgo 2-day delivery for Amazon Prime members--they make it purposely difficult to apply or even tell what you can use the rebates for, so I won't be forgoing fast shipping any more even if I don't care about shipping speed).

EDIT: It was okay. Mostly just quoted AARs, memoirs, and letters home all tied up to a very shallow background of the land battle. I would not recommend it, but it wasn't a complete waste of time.

View attachment 52608

Last edited:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The trilogy is a great read. I'm still working through the third book. I had a chance to listen to him speak( thanks again Mike Reed for the heads up). He even signed all three books.
The guy has a thing for big words though that simple words would have been just as effective. It's like he was trying to show off his vast vocabulary than get the point across.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first of the trilogy was okay. The second was mediocre or worse, so I skipped the third.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey why don't you read The Fountainhead, lol. Atlas Shrugged? Lol

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished my last book and just didn't feel like starting a new one, so picked up an extended version of James Clevell's King Rat, a classic POW story. Mostly, older books that have material that was cut out put back in simply reminds you why it's important to have a good editor. So far, this book is no exception--what I can identify as restored has been mediocre. So if you haven't yet read it, I recommend the original cut.

View attachment 52774

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished my last book and just didn't feel like starting a new one, so picked up an extended version of James Clevell's King Rat, a classic POW story. Mostly, older books that have material that was cut out put back in simply reminds you why it's important to have a good editor. So far, this book is no exception--what I can identify as restored has been mediocre. So if you haven't yet read it, I recommend the original cut.

View attachment 52774
Same as the movie with George Segal?

DJ_Davout

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting ready for a big Bolt Action semi-campaign game this summer I'm reading up on the 82nd Airborne (usually the 101st get's all the publicity)

More Than Courage: Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe: The Combat History of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II
http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Courage-Naples-Foggia-Ardennes-Alsace/dp/0760333130/ref=sr_1_5?m=A374VS59X5ED68&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1458057119&sr=1-5&keywords=World+War+two

Four Stars of Valor: The Combat History of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Stars-Valor-Parachute-Infantry/dp/0760326649/ref=sr_1_6?m=A374VS59X5ED68&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1458057119&sr=1-6&keywords=World+War+two

The Sword of St. Michael: The 82nd Airborne Division in World War II
http://www.amazon.com/Sword-St-Michael-Airborne-Division/dp/0306820234/ref=sr_1_23?m=A374VS59X5ED68&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1458057119&sr=1-23&keywords=World+War+two

Fortress Europe: European Fortifications of World War II
http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Europe-European-Fortifications-World/dp/1580970001/ref=sr_1_15?m=A374VS59X5ED68&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1458057119&sr=1-15&keywords=World+War+two

Destination Normandy: Three American Regiments on D-Day
http://www.amazon.com/Destination-Normandy-American-Regiments-Stackpole/dp/0811735354/ref=sr_1_37?m=A374VS59X5ED68&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1458057119&sr=1-37&keywords=World+War+two

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Detail strip my 1903 Colt Hammerless forced me to reach for my 4th edition of Gun Digest Book of Automatic Pistols Assembly/Disassembly.

View attachment 52837

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amazon had The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 on sale for the kindle for $1.99. It's gotten mostly good reviews, so while I am not too interested in the period, I figured it would be a 1.99 well spent. Probably take me a while to finish, though.

View attachment 52878

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished Jason Marks Into Oblivion: The story of Pioneer Battalion 305 and it was an outstanding read. I like that the wartime history before Stalingrad is given in great detail, and the Stalingrad period contains detailed info. Very good book. Now I'm starting Death of the Leaping Horseman. I know it's an old book, but I just got it. My lovely wife bought it for me for Christmas. An Infantryman in Stalingrad will follow that if I'm not too depressed from reading all the Stalingrad accounts. I like how Jasons books are written to make you feel invested in the soldiers accounts.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm about a third of the way into Sleepwalkers but it is a slow grind (how much Serbian politics can one man be expected to read), so I picked up a filler book for fun. Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky. Why? Captains Courageous was one of my favorite books when I was young (available as an ebook for free at Project Gutenberg):
View attachment 53542

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey...looking for any Einsteins who might be lurking about...:)

I've never read an Albert Einstein biography but have the urge to do so now. There are a lot of them out there and I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks,