Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Rereading The Run of His Life: The People v. O. J. Simpson by Toobin, prompted by a whim rebinging of American Crime Story: The People vs O.J. Simpson
Finished that and rereading Vincent Bugliosi's Outrage: The 5 Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away With Murder which touches on all the things Toobin apparently got wrong in his book.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just finished "Over Fields of Fire", by Anna Timofeeva-Egorova, female Sturmovik pilot from 1942-45. Pretty cruel treatment by her own for "allowing" herself to be captured, and the "no POWs, just traitors" order.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I really liked Neptune's Inferno and Fleet at Hightide. The latter did a very effective job in getting at the perspective of U.S. leaders after and on Saipan firsthand that informed the use of the atomic bomb later.
Just finished reading The Fleet at Flood Tide, excellent, thanks for the recommendation. I was very struck by Nimitz's turn of phrase:
"Let us go forth in all friendliness, and with a desire to live in full amity with our neighbor, the world. But let us make certain that our olive branch is planted firmly in a rich soil with a high content of uranium-235".

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished The Warsaw Uprising by George Bruce. It moves relatively quickly, which I tend to like, although perhaps that's because I tend to skim sections I'm not interested in. The book gives you an appreciation for the factions within the Polish Resistance, the efforts the British and Americans made to send supplies via airdrop, etc. Even though it's really easy to (IMO correctly) conclude that the Soviets doomed the Uprising by failing to support it, one does get a better sense of how the Uprising's timing was not good - the Soviets were nearby, true, but they seemed overextended and needed to retrench after some aggressive gains. Still, Stalin felt little urgency to help a people who he was intent on crushing himself anyway. IMO.

One thing the Kindle edition sorely lacks is maps of any kind. Having drawn the Warsaw HASL map for LFT, I could follow along just fine, but you don't get the feel for Warsaw without pictures.