Booby Traps B28.9

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Need a little clarification. The rule states "Booby Traps are trigered by an Original TC. B28.9

A10.1 states "If a unit checks morale in order to be allowed to perform some action it is termed a Task Check.

That is very clear to me the above two statements.

That being said rule C10.3 Pushing a gun. Making a Manhandling DR. Would this role trigger a booby trap?

When reading C10.3 it says nothing about a TC but A10.1 states "some action" which isn't specific.

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Pushing a gun would not trigger a booby trap because a manhandling roll is not a TC. A TC is a roll based on the units morale. Manhandling has nothing to do with the unit's morale. Hope that helps.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the reply. I see your logic but I am still not 100% sure.
As stated earlier:When reading C10.3 it says nothing about a TC but A10.1 states "some action" which isn't specific.
So what is the definition of some action? My problem is that I can legitimately see a boobytrap being activated by a group of soldiers pusching a gun into or out of a building for example.

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
To be considered a TC, you must check morale (as per A10.1)

This is not done while you are Pushing Guns, you don`t check morale. You only make a Mandhandling DR which has nothing to do with Morale, so it's not a Task Check.

As a result, a Manhandling DR cannot trigger a Booby Trap attack.

da priest

Reaction score
Well this question has never really come up in the groggie crowd cause the answer is clear--but:

From the index:

"TC (Task Check): A10.1 [Bog: D8.22] [Booby Traps: B28.9] [Deploying: A1.31] [Immobilization: D5.5] [Infantry OVR: A4.15] [Kindling B25.11] [LLTC: A10.2] [Over The Wall: TCG16] [Passengers on LC: G12.13] [PAATC: A11.6] [Prisoner attacking Guard: A20.55] [PTC: A7.305] [Set DC: A23.7] [Swimming: E6.1]"

No Manhandling references, and all the activities listed require morale use to do TC.

In Manhandling, no mention of TC, morale, or any use of morale.

To borrow a trademak: "It's clearly, clear.", Manhandling does not trigger Boobies. :drink:

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack said:
yarlis
Thanks for the input. However I will need some more convincing.
More convincing? Okay, I'll take a stab at that.

Let's go back to A10.1: "If a unit checks morale in order to be allowed to perform some action it is termed a Task Check (TC)."

Now on to C10.3: "A...Gun can...be pushed...by a...crew...provided it makes a Final DR <= its M#/M(#)..."

Okay, see C2.27 which defines the Manhandling Number (M#) that "...each non-vehicular Gun has..."

Even if "some action" is not specifically listed in A10.1, A10.1 is specific that Morale must be checked in order to have a Task Check. C10.3 is specific that the Gun's M# is checked. As others have pointed out, since morale is NOT checked when pushing a Gun, Manhandling does NOT meet the A10.1 criteria for a Task Check.

So, even if trying to push a Gun into a building, there is no Booby Trap possibility for a making a Manhandling DR.

Convinced?

Mark

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks again for all the great input. However when I look in the rulebook for other examples in regards to the actual wording of sentences I refer to B24.7 Clearance it states “ Rubble, Wire, mines, Set DC, Roadblocks, and Flame may all be removed as Tasks by units …”.
Are Booby Traps activated whit clearance attempts?
I am just trying to get the right interpretation on rules when the wording could be done a little better.

Side note: Starting Red Barricade in one week and want to get the maximum bang out of my Booby Traps.

Last edited:

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack said:
Thanks again for all the great input. However when I look in the rulebook for other examples in regards to the actual wording of sentences I refer to B24.7 Clearance it states “ Rubble, Wire, mines, Set DC, Roadblocks, and Flame may all be removed as Tasks by units …”.
Are Booby Traps activated whit clearance attempts?
I am just trying to get the right interpretation on rules when the wording could be done a little better.
Jack,

Again, I think you have to look at the definition of a Task Check - which per A10.1 requires that a unit's morale level is checked - this is key no matter what the TC is for (e.g., keep from pinning, attack an AFV in CC, set a fire, etc.)

The Tasks that B24.7 lists do not require that a unit check its morale level, only that a Final 2 or less is rolled. There is no mention at all of morale in B24.7, so these Tasks do not involve Task Checks for their success/failure. No TC means no Booby Trap activation.

Priest (da Priest?) referred you to the Index. There is a good list under TC as to when Task Checks are needed. Note there is nothing about clearance attempts there either.

Out,
Mark

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for being so persistent in convincing me. I appreciate the effort and I do see the light. However I would like to see it change. What do you think?