Bombardment: Dummies, Concealed, & HIP Units

roblinx

Reaction score
Hello,

Fritz Eifrig and I are starting into VotG7 - Storming the Station tonight, and we're wondering about how to handle bombardment MCs in various situations:

- Dummies: I think we understand that dummies take MCs with a morale of 7.
- Concealed: Concealment is not lost if the MC is passed, but what if the unit has a morale higher than 7 (or there's a leader providing DRM)? Do you use the honor system, or do you temporarily reveal the unit(s) to prove that you passed the MC?
- HIP: HIP is not lost if the MC is passed, but *taking* the MC will reveal that something's there. So, does the Russian take a random # of extra (and presumably secret) DRs to prevent tipping his hand?

Thank you. Rules/Q&A references would be wonderful, if you have 'em.

Rob

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello,

Fritz Eifrig and I are starting into VotG7 - Storming the Station tonight, and we're wondering about how to handle bombardment MCs in various situations:

- Dummies: I think we understand that dummies take MCs with a morale of 7.
- Concealed: Concealment is not lost if the MC is passed, but what if the unit has a morale higher than 7 (or there's a leader providing DRM)? Do you use the honor system, or do you temporarily reveal the unit(s) to prove that you passed the MC?
- HIP: HIP is not lost if the MC is passed, but *taking* the MC will reveal that something's there. So, does the Russian take a random # of extra (and presumably secret) DRs to prevent tipping his hand?

Thank you. Rules/Q&A references would be wonderful, if you have 'em.
I would use the Honor System in this case. If my opponent needs to roll for some HIP units, I'll look away and I hope any of my opponents will do the same if I have to roll for HIP units. I see no problem with this in a friendly game and I would have no problem with it in a tournament setting either.

It might be a good idea though, to have a third person watch to double-check that one does everything correctly - finding such a third person is usually not a problem during a tournament.

paulyj

Reaction score
Country
ll
Rob,

- Dummies – Correct, you use 7 morale (see A12.14)

- In my experience, most players would use the honour system. I am not aware of any rule that requires you to (temporarily) reveal the unit(s)

- From the excellent Scott Romanowski Q & A:

C1.82 Are MC DR for HIP units/Fortifications in a Bombardment done secretly?
A. The DR are not secret. One way to do this would be to record secretly each HIP unit/-
Fortification separately, and openly roll the Bombardment MC DR for the recorded units/-
Fortifications. [Compil5]

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best way (I think) is to roll openly for the HIP units as the Q&A says, but to roll in the order they are written down on the HIP sheet without saying exactly what the HIP units are or where they are (unless they fail and have to be put on board anyway.)

roblinx

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I like the method for the HIP units, except that it gives information to the attacker: that x number of HIP units exist in the bombardment area. In this scenario, the area is somewhat small, so that's valuable information.

Fritz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll probably just drift over onto my front line anyway.

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
I am not aware of any rule that requires you to (temporarily) reveal the unit(s)
Well, not a bombardment rule, but A12.14 allows you to temporarily reveal a unit to force an enemy unit to lose concealment.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
HIP fortifications are covered by C1.822

Wire and Roadblock counters, as well as all minefields, have a Morale Level of 9, and are eliminated if they fail their NMC; if hidden, they take their NMC and any eliminations are noted on the owner's side record (without telling his opponent what was eliminated or where such occured).