Bolton is going to be the national security advisor? This should be entertaining

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Welsh/Welch is acceptable. Just means to renege on a deal. Used quite frequently over here.
And I am sure it refers to the dealing with the Welsh, no? Just because it's common, doesn't make it right if that's the context. -- jim

A related colloquialism is the verb to welsh/welch ('to renege') as in 'to Welsh/welchon a deal or bet', which may be derived from an age-old 'English' stereotype of theWelsh/Celtic peoples as unreliable oath-breakers, though that etymology remains conjectural.
More here. It is definitely intended to be pejorative. Association with the Welsh people themselves is not easy to establish. The second link suggests the BBC occasionally apologizes for using the term. YMMV.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm Irish and Scots, Manx, Welsh, Cornish and Bretons are our siblings/cousins. I've never raised an eyebrow at the phrase "That's a bit Irish". Don't confuse me with the ultra PC brigade.

The term welch/welsh is still in very common usage and I only really saw a possible connection to the inhabitants of Wales in my adulthood.

So sue me.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
And I am sure it refers to the dealing with the Welsh, no? Just because it's common, doesn't make it right if that's the context. -- jim

More here. It is definitely intended to be pejorative. Association with the Welsh people themselves is not easy to establish. The second link suggests the BBC occasionally apologizes for using the term. YMMV.

It's in common use and has no racist implication. If it's pejorative then it's jokingly pejorative amongst friends (now) here amongst the British Isles. It's quite normal to knock each other over here. I take your word for the BBC apology. They spend a lot of time apologising for all manner of crap these days.

We English say "that's Irish" when something makes no sense....the pejorative being that Irish people are stupid (but of course they aren't). But no-one's offended. And the Paddies, Jocks, and Taffs, have a zillion pejoratives for me which, sure, if said in the wrong way by the wrong person, one could take offence at....but meh.

I'm backing no horse here. I'm just, in peace, telling you that to say someone "welched on a deal" will not get you a knock on the door or a written warning at work here. It's common, colloquial, language with no offence meant or taken (although there will always be some, as you well know, who will seek offence from the most petty things).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Well, DiGenova did not last long, even shorter than the Mooch and that's a hard record to beat. Everyone else with the relevant experience and clout has said "No way Jose!".

T is simply just far, far too difficult a client to represent. That's my reading of it. Might he be considering doing something foolish or plain illegal? Of course, it's T we're talking about, that's par for the course. But I still think that Dowd just had it up to here with T's antics, he's not a young man and representing T would add years to anyone's age.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is closest to the truth.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
According to Rachel Maddow, the reason Dowd resigned was the attempted addition of DiGenova et al to T's legal team. Apparently, despite causing Dowd to resign, T did not like the look of DiGenova & wife when he finally first met them in person. So it appears that Dowd was not fired but resigned in disgust. I'd call that as being in the "impossible client" category. So despite being a rude interfering no nothing foreigner, I guessed right, at least in this case.

Many months ago I argued that T did not expect to win and was mainly in the race for T brand publicity, though part of him did want to win. It could be joked that he now subconsciously prefers jail to being president, a joke that has a tiny shard of bitter truth.

I will defer to your expertise. You know simple. -- jim
The term is Occam's Razor, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor. It's a useful tool when sorting out complicated messes. Look for solutions that contain the fewest basic assumptions. These then can be more easily disproved (or not). Even if the simplest explanations are not correct, you have eliminated those from the possible solutions and narrowed the scope of your search for truth, thus helping you on your quest.

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, DiGenova did not last long, even shorter than the Mooch and that's a hard record to beat. Everyone else with the relevant experience and clout has said "No way Jose!".

T is simply just far, far too difficult a client to represent. That's my reading of it. Might he be considering doing something foolish or plain illegal? Of course, it's T we're talking about, that's par for the course. But I still think that Dowd just had it up to here with T's antics, he's not a young man and representing T would add years to anyone's age.

Or maybe simple is used for the public story because it is simple. Anything that goes external is always simplified.

You could be right, but you seem to be leaning quite heavily on Rachel Maddow for your conclusions. Not sure I would rely on her intellect to make a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Or maybe simple is used for the public story because it is simple. Anything that goes external is always simplified.

You could be right, but you seem to be leaning quite heavily on Rachel Maddow for your conclusions. Not sure I would rely on her intellect to make a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese.
I'm reasonably sure that T was also frustrated by the whole mess and was getting less patient with Dowd, but the hiring of a conspiracy nut is the DiGenova that broke the Dowd's back. T would have eventually have fired Dowd, but my impression is that it was Dowd that had enough, pre-empting the inevitable.

What I like about Maddow is that she regularly picks apart the messes, exposing the underlying fine details, allowing one to assemble a good picture. No simplistic shortcuts from her, she has a very sharp mind.. I think she could have made a good computer analyst, my former career. The ability to hone down into the atoms of events and trace them, step by step, then assemble the connections and thus understand the resultant large scale forces and movements is something I admire. She also has a very good ability to explain what she has found to those, like myself, who don't have or understand the finer details and their relevance. Between her analytic skills and communication ability, I found her a very refreshing and enlightening change from the usual political pundits. She grinds the corn very finely so we can eat good quality bread.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The term is Occam's Razor, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor. It's a useful tool when sorting out complicated messes. Look for solutions that contain the fewest basic assumptions. These then can be more easily disproved (or not). Even if the simplest explanations are not correct, you have eliminated those from the possible solutions and narrowed the scope of your search for truth, thus helping you on your quest.
Can you teach me ABC's too? Clearly sarcasm is beyond you. -- jim

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've always seen it spelled "welch" rather than "welsh".
I'd always assumed it came from a similar word much like "getting away scot free" has nothing to do with Scots.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reasonably sure that T was also frustrated by the whole mess and was getting less patient with Dowd, but the hiring of a conspiracy nut is the DiGenova that broke the Dowd's back. T would have eventually have fired Dowd, but my impression is that it was Dowd that had enough, pre-empting the inevitable.

What I like about Maddow is that she regularly picks apart the messes, exposing the underlying fine details, allowing one to assemble a good picture. No simplistic shortcuts from her, she has a very sharp mind.. I think she could have made a good computer analyst, my former career. The ability to hone down into the atoms of events and trace them, step by step, then assemble the connections and thus understand the resultant large scale forces and movements is something I admire. She also has a very good ability to explain what she has found to those, like myself, who don't have or understand the finer details and their relevance. Between her analytic skills and communication ability, I found her a very refreshing and enlightening change from the usual political pundits. She grinds the corn very finely so we can eat good quality bread.
Of course you do. She bats for the home team and just re-affirms the narrative you have already accepted as the truth.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Of course you do. She bats for the home team and just re-affirms the narrative you have already accepted as the truth.
I will admit a half point to you, I only look at an Alex Jones clip for childish amusement or Fox to see what the latest conspiracy theory is. Talking about Fox Skews, even they are starting to sidle away from President Spanky.

While I would give the likes of Chris Mathews, Anderson Cooper, Erin Burnett and Don Lemon good marks for their reporting and interviewing abilities, I rate Maddow highest of any of them. She would make a paint drying clip interesting and very informative.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
While I would give the likes of Chris Mathews, Anderson Cooper, Erin Burnett and Don Lemon good marks for their reporting and interviewing abilities, I rate Maddow highest of any of them. She would make a paint drying clip interesting and very informative.
I like at CNN Amanpour (Iranian), Gorani (Syrian) and Zakaria (Indian), the others, they are too busy instructing the Trump trial, which gets somehow tiresome.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will admit a half point to you, I only look at an Alex Jones clip for childish amusement or Fox to see what the latest conspiracy theory is. Talking about Fox Skews, even they are starting to sidle away from President Spanky.

As I said, you pick the ones that fit your already decided narrative. Nothing new for anyone, but don't throw rocks that those who watch Fox News who do the same because you are them.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I like at CNN Amanpour (Iranian), Gorani (Syrian) and Zakaria (Indian), the others, they are too busy instructing the Trump trial, which gets somehow tiresome.
I would not fault any of those either. I'm mainly reliant on Youtube for clips so if I view X's clip because of the subject matter, I'm more likely to be presented with a clip by X rather than Y or Z. I will confess that my opinion of a news person is very subjective, voice, mannerisms and doggedness in interviewing can gain a few extra points above information supplied.

I view Joe Scarborough as well, mainly because he supplies a traditional conservative and intelligent viewpoint. As a news person I find him somewhat obnoxious, always hogging the air time. There are times I wished to pour a bucket of cold water on him to make him share the program time. Still he makes interesting points.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bolton did a great job for GW at the UN. He will do a great job for TRUMP in this position too.