Bog modifiers

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
My esteemed opponent Cliff has come up with a question that has made me curious. B23.41 states:
ASLRB said:
'Such non-VBM entry of a building hex requires an immediate Bog Check DR with a +3 DRM to the Bog Check only (+4 for stone buildings).'
He argues that this means that Ground Pressure DRM do not apply to building entry Bog Checks. However, the Bog Modifier table in D8.21 has a number of cases, such as mud or snow, where they are explicitly stated as not affecting building entry Bog Checks. Ground Pressure DRM are not so footnoted, thereby implying that they are used.

Thoughts?

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

Chris wrote:
He argues that this means that Ground Pressure DRM do not apply to building entry Bog Checks.
Cliff makes a very interesting point. B23.41 does say "only", and that certainly seems to mean "that's it", which may be taken as "no other DRM".

That seems reasonable to me.

And again:
However, the Bog Modifier table in D8.21 has a number of cases, such as mud or snow, where they are explicitly stated as not affecting building entry Bog Checks. Ground Pressure DRM are not so footnoted, thereby implying that they are used.
I agree. Based on Rules Order Precedence, D8.21 must apply.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
That was my theory. But I hate using Rules Order as a trump card - it always seems to be a last resort for when you can't find any other supporting evidence :)

Besides, why would you put any rules about Bog anywhere other than in D8, since they're always going to overruled by it?

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was my theory. But I hate using Rules Order as a trump card - it always seems to be a last resort for when you can't find any other supporting evidence
Yeah, I know what you mean. But it's not a trump card, really. It's the highest rule precedence, i.e. the one we're supposed to follow according to the rules.

Besides, why would you put any rules about Bog anywhere other than in D8, since they're always going to overruled by it?
Why indeed. I believe the multiple references tend to complicate things.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken