Bog in irrigated rice paddies

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
G8.12 "The interior of an Irrigated paddy is Mud (see 8.5) and also Bog terrain; in addition to the +1 DRM for mud, the Bog DR of a vehicle IN an Irrigated paddy receives an extra +2 DRM for being IN such terrain."

G8.5 "MUD: Mud can exist in/IN paddy hexes in two ways: they may be Irrigated (8.12), and/or EC may be Mud. Irrigated paddies are mud only IN those hexes, unless EC are Mud. Whenever EC are Mud, all mud rules (E3.6-.65) apply in (as well IN) all paddy hexes."

Should G8.5 say Weather is Mud rather than EC is Mud?

When a fully tracked vehicle enters irrigated paddy, does it have two Bog chances, one for Mud per D8.23 and one for each Irrigated Paddy entered/CA changed IN per G8.12?

JR

Last edited:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR
No. B25.5 allows the possibility of EC being Mud. When Weather is Mud per E3.6, EC are always Mud. As I see it, what G8.5 is saying is that when EC are Mud, Weather-esque mud applies, but only in the paddy hexes, as opposed to all over the board(s).

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When a fully tracked vehicle enters irrigated paddy, does it have two Bog chances, one for Mud per D8.23 and one for each Irrigated Paddy entered/CA changed IN per G8.12?
If Weather is NOT "Mud," then no. D8.23 opens with "When scenario Weather (E3) is "Mud" or "Deep Snow...." This condition not being met, D8.23 would not apply.

If Weather IS "Mud," then then sort of yes, assuming the vehicle was not using a paved road. There would be one bog check for the entire movement, plus one check per Irrigated Paddy Hex entered or in which the Vehicle changed its VCA. The second sentence of D8.23 begins "The opponent makes one Secret (D.5) Bog Check DR for the vehicle's entire MPh (unless it enters -- or, in the case of a stream, exits -- a regular Bog hex in which case a Bog DR is also made for that hex [italics mine]." Irrigated Paddies are Bog Hexes per G8.12.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would make the section make more sense, but I dislike the ramifications, so I am going to say No. :)

Seriously, I think the intent was for only one bog check, the one per G8.12, not the one per D8.23 (unless weather is Mud, as well). That would create a third "type" of Mud--Paddy Mud when EC (but not Weather) is Mud.