Bodø ASL Open - 24th. Jan-26th Jan 2020

Nils Bakke

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Bodø ASL Open
Friday 24th of January – Sunday 26th of January 2020.

We would like to invite all interested players to the first ASL tournament in Bodø. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodø)

Bodø is a small city in Norway with about 50.000 inhabitants. The city lies on the coast, at 67 degrees North, just north of the polar circle. In late January there is a fair chance of Northern Lights, and we are gradually recovering from winter darkness. The light and colours at this time of year might be spectacular. Or it might be a blizzard. One never knows… (https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/northern-norway/bodo/northern-lights/)

The venue will be at the Nord University (https://www.nord.no/en)

In Bodø we have a stable ASL community and we are hosting regular face to face games, usually with two or three games played.

Tournament:
Currently we are planning for a 3-round swiss-style tournament with room for up to eight players. We play one round Friday afternoon, two rounds Saturday.

If more than eight are attending, we will look at increasing to four rounds with a round on Sunday. If just four players, we will play two rounds with a big Saturday scenario.

Scenarios are not decided yet. They will be posted sometime in December.

For visiting players:
Bodø is basically a big airport with a city around it. The airport is served by all three domestic airlines (Norwegian, SAS, Widerøe), with usually good international connections through Oslo Airport. Wizz Air also has a bi-weekly cheap direct service to/from Gdansk in Poland.

As far as possible we will try accommodate visiting players privately. We will arrange all necessary transportation within the city during the event.

There is also a possibility of renting a self-service room on the University campus for a reasonable price.

If anyone wants to arrive sooner, we will happily arrange friendly ASL-playing on Thursday and Friday before the tournament starts.

Or one can arrive sooner and be a tourist instead. Mostly known as the gateway to the Lofoten Islands, Bodø is an attraction in itself - a bustling city within beautiful surroundings. For the historically interested we have the national aviation museum located in Bodø (https://www.norwegianaviationmuseum.com/).

Please show your interest in attending by writing me an email: nilskb(a)gmail(dot)com.

EDIT 30.10.2019: We have our webside up: http://www.baslo.no

EDIT 08.11.2019: Preprogram:

Preprogram:
All tournament participants are invited to an exclusive guided tour of The Norwegian Aviation Museum (https://www.luftfartsmuseum.no/) Friday at 14:00. Our guide will be Curator Karl L. Kleve. We meet at the museum parking lot at 13:45.
The tournament start up will be postponed one hour to accomodate this event.

UPDATE 22.11.2019: Scenario list is ready, see www.baslo.no

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uff Da, Just north of the arctic circle! Wish you the very best, sounds like a neat venue!:)?

[EDIT]: For morning exercise you could have "Run with the polar bears" event (similar to the running of the bulls in Spain, but possibly a bit more sanguine). ?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The northernmost ASL event in the world ?❄

Wouldn't it be a alternative to organise it at a different time so that players could enjoy the beautiful scenery (as i understand it would be pitch dark)? In addition i understand there are many more seasonal flights at the appropriate period.

Best of luck for your Bodo event (i base there norwegian F-16s there in VG's second fleet LoL)

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Hmmm. I have attanded an ASL tournament in Finland, Sweden and Denmark. Perhaps I should round it up with a Norwegian event...
I am thinking the same thing. I have met some of the organizers, they will do a great job I think. And it is another ASL tournament…(But Bodö :) ?)

Dear Organizers - thanks for doing this, I want you to know that I am seriously thinking about it. And if you hit 7 players I will absolutely try to go so you get to 8.

Last edited:

Nils Bakke

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
We will try to keep you all updated as we get a clearer view of the participation. We are also working on a website, we will update here when it is set up.

We have given a bit of thought to the timing. First of all we actually wanted to avoid the summer, mainly because ASL is more of an indoor "winterly" activity. And our summer holidays are usually spent with families. We also wanted to avoid competing too much with the other events in Scandinavia, January is in between the Swedish and Danish events (although perhaps a bit too close to ASO).

Regarding the weather, in late January we have about five hours of the sun above the horizon. The polar night here is in different shades of blue, not really a black night. When we come to January, the light is in different shades of pink and orange. And with little or no cloud cover, there is a fair chance of Aurora Borealis. Or we may have blizzards. Either of which may be an experience if one never have experienced it.

We could arrange a team snowball fight if we find ourselves in need of phys. ed. in the morning... ;-)

We hope to make this an annual event. If we manage to pull of this event with some success, we will consider arranging a Summer event with a different concept, maybe somewhere else in the region.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
in late January we have about five hours of the sun above the horizon.
Or 19 hours of darkness :) (at that time of year I am blessed with “only“ 16 hours of darkness and by the time of ASO in Copenhagen comes around it is only 13.5 hours). Springtime for Vikings.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
It looks interesting.... But seems difficult to get there... Auroras borealis... Night at the polar circle... ASL games...

Nils Bakke

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Yeah, from one end of Europe to the other, we are talking quite the distance here :)
From Sevilla it is probably easier to take the plane to/from Malaga with SAS, but yeah, it is a flight of about 9-10 hours.
To/from Madrid with KLM via Bergen is another cheap option with flight times of around 10 hours.
You will probably need to arrive Thursday and staying over until Monday with either option.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
I have now booked my flights, hoping to see you there too!
I would honor my promise to Nils of bringing the number of attendees from 7 to 8 if I have enough time to book a decent flight, but otherwise not. I attend(ed) 11 tournaments this year, but I will bring that down by 25-30% next year, so to start by attending a new one seems the wrong way to go :).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Practical locations for non-Scandivanian players should include the vicinity of the following airports: (i) Bergen; (ii) Trondheim; and the best imo (iii) ålesund.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Practical locations for non-Scandivanian players should include the vicinity of the following airports: (i) Bergen; (ii) Trondheim; and the best imo (iii) ålesund.
Don't throw stones in glass houses :). The two geographically closest tournaments to where you live are Grenadier and Lille, together with Linköping the three most inaccessible and awkward tournaments in Europe if you are not driving your own car.

Advantage of the three cities you mention is that they are all in a country where you can ask for directions in English if you happen to get lost :) (although the Germans have gotten much better in this rudimentary skill :) ).

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Two stopovers from Malaga, 9 h 20 min trip, and a 15,6 days out of 31 precipitation days in January (so I suppose then it will be cloudy... and no opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis....) And the record high temperature in Bodo is the daily mean here in Sevilla....

And there is the possibilty of a artic blizzard !!!!

Nils Bakke

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
We live where we live, and the weather is what it is; and it probably shapes our outlook of the world. The same as the British isles, and elsewhere on the isles in the Atlantic. Rain, fog, wind and cold is part of life.

Even if we did an event in the summertime, there would unfortunately be no guarantee for good weather

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The same as the British isles, and elsewhere on the isles in the Atlantic. Rain, fog, wind and cold is part of life.
Hey! I'm in the South of England and thanks to all this CO2 mankind is pumping out it is becoming mediterranean. Green lawns in summer are a thing of the past..........