Bocage Question

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all -

It is my understanding that you can't see or shoot at units behind bocage unless *they* have Wall Advantage - so they can move along beind it, keep concealment, and be immune to fire.
Is this still true if you are adjacent, but on opposite sides of the bocage?\
What if one of you has Wall Advantage?
Thanks a lot,

Tycho
*lost somewhere beyond the beachhead*

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Tycho said:
It is my understanding that you can't see or shoot at units behind bocage unless *they* have Wall Advantage - so they can move along beind it, keep concealment, and be immune to fire.
This is correct - but note that if the Location has no in-hex TEM, then the moving unit must claim WA if able to (i.e. if no enemy unit prevents it) - and thereby be in LOS.

It can still keep concealment though, since you don't loose concealment for moving as long as all enemy with LOS to you see through Bocage (but it will loose it as normal due to fire).

Is this still true if you are adjacent, but on opposite sides of the bocage?
Yes, unless...

What if one of you has Wall Advantage?
...unless some of your units have WA yes. In that case, those units can see through the bocage hexside they have WA over - and thereby see the enemy unit. Other units than those with WA, can still not see it though.

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread caught my eye.

I'm starting my first scenario with the bocage rules tonight on VASL.

So if I get this strait:

A concealed unit starts behind a line of bocage hexsides (assume no other terrain), that unit can use NAM down the line (behind the bocage) and retain concealment even if in LOS of another enemy unit (say 2 hexes away).

That same unit will be forced to claim wall advantage in every hex of the move (if able to do so)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
McFinn said:
So if I get this strait:

A concealed unit starts behind a line of bocage hexsides (assume no other terrain), that unit can use NAM down the line (behind the bocage) and retain concealment even if in LOS of another enemy unit (say 2 hexes away).
Yes, provided all GO enemy units that have LOS, draw the LOS through the bocage, and lacks WA over that Bocage (it's in B9.55 - you should read it carefully). Also note that if it should loose concealment (due to an attack probably), then it will regain it during the CCPh even in LOS of enemies (with the same restrictions as above).

That same unit will be forced to claim wall advantage in every hex of the move (if able to do so)
Yes, if there is no in-hex TEM (B9.323).