Bocage - no LOS ?

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I'm building a .vsav file for scenario 12 "Confusion Reigns" in which all walls and hedges are Bocage.
After loading the cropped boards and changing the walls and hedges to Bocage, LOS doesn't work.

The error message is : "VASL LOS disabled: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "VASL.LOS.Map.Hex.getNearestLocation(int, int)" because the return value of "VASL.LOS.Map.Map.gridToHex(int, int)" is null. VASSAL los active"

I did crop the mapboards to the middle of the hexrow and tested LOS before changing the walls and hedges to Bocage.
It worked fine.

So is it that if walls and/or hedges are changed to Bocage, the LOS feature doesn't work ?
Or is there something I missed ?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
VASSAL/VASL versions?

Can you show the map image after cropping/transforming?

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I can recreate an error that occurs with cropping boards and choosing crop to nearest full hex row. I encountered this when I first started using VASL this year and forgot about it as a minor glitch compared to the amazing stuff that was working in VASL.

It works fine with crop to middle of hex row, but when I remade the map and selected crop to nearest full hex row it broke the LOS thread.

VASL LOS Disabled: VASL.build.module.map.boardPicker.BoardException: VASL LOS Disabled: Unable to insert board y into the VASL map. VASSAL los active. VASSAL los active

I was setting up ASL S3 Simple Equation, with North to the left of the screen, so board z (r-gg) in the top row, and y (a-p) in the second row.
If you set up with North to the right and board y on the top row then it works fine with both cropping options.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for all of this info. Super helpful.

I have been away from my dev environment for a while but am back now. Can't promise to resolve this shortly as there is a bunch of other stuff that needs doing. It is on my to do list though!

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks for all of this info. Super helpful.

I have been away from my dev environment for a while but am back now. Can't promise to resolve this shortly as there is a bunch of other stuff that needs doing. It is on my to do list though!
No problem.
Thanks for all the effort you put into developing and improving VASL.
Highly appreciated.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can recreate an error that occurs with cropping boards and choosing crop to nearest full hex row. I encountered this when I first started using VASL this year and forgot about it as a minor glitch compared to the amazing stuff that was working in VASL.

It works fine with crop to middle of hex row, but when I remade the map and selected crop to nearest full hex row it broke the LOS thread.

VASL LOS Disabled: VASL.build.module.map.boardPicker.BoardException: VASL LOS Disabled: Unable to insert board y into the VASL map. VASSAL los active. VASSAL los active

I was setting up ASL S3 Simple Equation, with North to the left of the screen, so board z (r-gg) in the top row, and y (a-p) in the second row.
If you set up with North to the right and board y on the top row then it works fine with both cropping options.
I found an error in the cropping routine that seemed to be causing this problem. I have fixed it. It will be in vasl6.6.5.