BoB Normandy has Landed!!!

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reckon CH! paid for the right to use "Band of Brothers" as part of their title/advertizing?

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
I play about 10 PBM games at a time and my SASL and now two campaigns so I always seem to have something to write about!! Ian[/QUOTE]

OK OK your really are hooked on PBEM!!!!

Rob

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I play about 10 PBM games at a time and my SASL and now two campaigns so I always seem to have something to write about!! Ian

OK OK your really are hooked on PBEM!!!!

Rob[/QUOTE]

Yes thanks for introducing me to PBM, not sure what I used to do with the rest of my life LOL

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Ya-

Other then a few proofing gaffs, the Scenarios are really tight believe it or not for a pack that is heavy with good American Leadership. Paul Mackancy (a fellow Brit of yours) and I finished up Man and Machine ealier this week with my Germans pulling out a win on turn 8, this was due to me putting Paul over on the American CVP cap. Plus he is kinda new to playing ASL, and did not use his Armors Smoke capability alot but he did use the American infantry smoke quite a few times. Anyway, we both had a blast playing this one, a nice medium sized fast paced scenario that puts ya right into the action.

Scott
As I mentioned, the first game blowout was down to poor set up, as explained in more detail in the AAR on my blog. The second game came down to the CC phase of the last turn so no complaints here, Again though the high leader mod coupled with hero mods is a little worrying, I assume though good players well versed with Bocage will do their best to reduce that effect. As always only time will tell how these work out but I am rather pleased with my purchase.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Trev, Wanna play a couple of scenarios out of BoB Normandy, have a jpg map that I jerryrigged to VASL, so we can give a couple of scenarios a go.

Scott

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Trev, Wanna play a couple of scenarios out of BoB Normandy, have a jpg map that I jerryrigged to VASL, so we can give a couple of scenarios a go.

Scott
Like I told you. My PC is phucked. I'm running this and WOT but Skype won't start.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Shakespeare has been dead longer than 60 years in any event. Or whoever it was that wrote that.
However ....

"Band of Brothers" is a registered trademark of Home Box Office (HBO) & Warner Home Video

Therefore if you are selling a product in the same domain namely "Entertainment", using such a trademark you may well in fact be in violation by using this trademark.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
However ....

"Band of Brothers" is a registered trademark of Home Box Office (HBO) & Warner Home Video

Therefore if you are selling a product in the same domain namely "Entertainment", using such a trademark you may well in fact be in violation by using this trademark.
Does the US Navy pay Paramount any royalties?

Just because some one trademarks a name doesn't mean diddly until it has been through court. Shakespeare will trump Ambrose methinks.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Does the US Navy pay Paramount any royalties?

Just because some one trademarks a name doesn't mean diddly until it has been through court. Shakespeare will trump Ambrose methinks.
The context of the trademark though is significantly in entertainment products regarding the actions of US forces in France and Germany in WWII: and guess what that is the context of the product CH is selling.

I think there is a significant chance a court might see the use of the trademark in this context as "passing off" and rule in favor of a plaintiff.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The context of the trademark though is significantly in entertainment products regarding the actions of US forces in France and Germany in WWII: and guess what that is the context of the product CH is selling.

I think there is a significant chance a court might see the use of the trademark in this context as "passing off" and rule in favor of a plaintiff.

Excuse me. Where not actions of forces in France not the original context? Can trademark law be so vile as to transfer the association of such a phrase from one nation's combatants to another? If this is the case then HOB are the violators of English literacy.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't copyright a title, so CH didn't need to.
Correct...but they can be protected as "trademarks". And "Band of Brothers" is a registered trademark...this from the HBO website:

"Band of Brothers" is a registered trademark of Home Box Office (HBO) & Warner Home Video."

Maybe CH! included a disclaimer. Maybe they had permission...I doubt it.

I wonder if Gamesquad would have any liability for allowing the advertising of CH's "Band of Brothers" product on their website? Probably not since it is more of a review...but who knows what a lawyer might go after.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Or if a product/service is attempting to gain business by association. IOW, a real attempt to misguide consumers into believing that a given product is actually associated with the "trademark". The main prupose of a "trademark" is to create consumer recognition...allowing just anybody to use the "trademark" diluts that recognition and thus harms the "trade" of the "TM" owner.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Before you all do yourselves an injury, the pack is as the title says

BoB-Normandy. At no point do they use the words Band of Brothers. Sure it's infered through BoB WITH the context of the images and use of real names but HBO do not own those either. I very much doubt they have a case to answer. Photo's may be another story but that's the same for all publishers and something I know nothing about. I do know that one of the photos was of a Canadian firing a Art piece (unless the front cover of a book has it wrongly attributed)

Sorry CH haters, maybe you can have a go at the shade of green of the ink on te cover? Or maybe just go play somewhere else?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A phrase from literature from Tudor/Stuart times should not have been made a trademark in the first place. Shakespeare should sue, but for the fact that he's brown bread. HOB should not be able to, because they/Ambrose lifted the line from Shakespeare.

Would you like it if someone trademarked a phrase from a Psalm. Say they made a film called "I will fear no evil"" and tried to trademark it?

BTW I have no opinion on the CH product, except that I'll not be buying it.

Last edited: