BoB Normandy has Landed!!!

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my copy of both BoB and Bataan in today.Have not looked at them yet though as just got home from 2nd round of shoulder surgery.Hope to look at them in detail tomorrow.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Got my copy of both BoB and Bataan in today.Have not looked at them yet though as just got home from 2nd round of shoulder surgery.Hope to look at them in detail tomorrow.
Hoping mine will be with me when I finally get home (hopefully this weekend!!)

Hope the shoulders doing fine, I bet it's the side you sleep on!!!

x6ftundx

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They will mention MMP's products as little as possible. They do mention "Players of Beyond Valor(tm) and beyond will find an extensive collection of VARIANT products published in our ASLComp line." Amazing they don't distort their ASLComp name with a (tm) next to it that isn't even the usual raised tm logo the wouldn't distort the name so much. Of course that would make it more obvious that some other company owns the ASL name and logo.

Genius.

so you are saying that this is totally stand along except for the informational counters and rulebook? I have all the modules, I am just wondering if I have to dig out counters..

:OHNO:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so you are saying that this is totally stand along except for the informational counters and rulebook? I have all the modules, I am just wondering if I have to dig out counters..

:OHNO:
I don't know. I do know the 2nd edition incorporating fixes of bugs found by the customers will have the new! improved! counters and maps.

Genius.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know. I do know the 2nd edition incorporating fixes of bugs found by the customers will have the new! improved! counters and maps.

Genius.
I think they did that already for the 2bd edition ASLRB and with the map bundle.

Scott

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<<<IAN wrote: Hope the shoulders doing fine, I bet it's the side you sleep on!!!>>>

How did you guess??? Yep it sure is.....

Took a quick look at both packs and like the Bataan map especially. Most of the counters in both packs are US MMC done in new CH-style art.Need to read over the scenarios more in-depth.

Ian,hope you get yours soon.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
<<<IAN wrote: Hope the shoulders doing fine, I bet it's the side you sleep on!!!>>>

How did you guess??? Yep it sure is.....

Took a quick look at both packs and like the Bataan map especially. Most of the counters in both packs are US MMC done in new CH-style art.Need to read over the scenarios more in-depth.

Ian,hope you get yours soon.
Report from the home front says no reinforcments received as yet. Not that it matters as unlikley to recon them till weekend. Worst case scenario is that I have seen the last of home till mid-May!!!! Only good news is it was to late for me to get a Visa for China or I might not see home for a damb site longer!!!!!!!!

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This does not impact anything with scenario play, but does anyone know what the NP stands for on the scenario card maps? The actual map has DZN, which I might guess is Drop Zone Normandy.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Heck, I think these scenarios are much better balanced then the Journal or AP offerings of late.

Scott
Jumped on the old hobby horse again......

However, only time and ROAR will tell......

Countersheet looks nice, map pretty good.

Some of the scenario titles really put me off, as usual with CH.

Tense moments.

What is that? A bunch of GIs squatting behind a bocage to answer nature's Big call ?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Mine arrived today along with Bataan, so n ow more counters to cut out.........

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For anyone intrested, I have now reviewed BoB Normandy on my blog. I do not have a horse in the race and hope that shows.

Thanks
Ian

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Custardpie, good job on your blog. I enjoy visiting.

It seems like I'm always adding ASL blogs to my bookmark list and then deleting them a couple of months later due to lack of activity. Your's is one of the few that seems to maintain a steady rate of posts.
For anyone intrested, I have now reviewed BoB Normandy on my blog. I do not have a horse in the race and hope that shows.

Thanks
Ian

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks
Ian
Nice Reveiw Ian. As for the map art, I guess I just dont have that kind of attension to detail, as far as I could tell, the map art looked nice. Also agree that it is kinda dissapointing that there were no scenarios included for the wagon but not a deal breaker at all.

Scott

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Custardpie, good job on your blog. I enjoy visiting.

It seems like I'm always adding ASL blogs to my bookmark list and then deleting them a couple of months later due to lack of activity. Your's is one of the few that seems to maintain a steady rate of posts.
Thanks Binko, if you check out the blogs I watch, one guy plays ASL about evert two weeks but also blogs other none ASL games which may also be of intrest to you (it is me).

I play about 10 PBM games at a time and my SASL and now two campaigns so I always seem to have something to write about!! Fortunatly my wife Blogs as well so I get away with it LOL

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice Reveiw Ian. As for the map art, I guess I just dont have that kind of attension to detail, as far as I could tell, the map art looked nice. Also agree that it is kinda dissapointing that there were no scenarios included for the wagon but not a deal breaker at all.

Scott
It does look nice as I said in the blog but they did use repetative imaging to do it. Just goes to show if it's done well it still looks good. The wagon is no deal breaker, someone will do something with it

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played two scenarios from the pack yesterday, will post on scenarios played thread and my blog tomorrow if I get the chance.

First one finished way early due to poor German set up (though I think he gave in a little early). Second game went down me needing to win three CC attacks to take the hill, all of which were very winable.

Both games were stacks of fun (which is what it's suposed to be) but even the last game the German (he got the Germs on die roll both games) was not that enjoyable for him. As Mark on his website and I said on my Blog the combination of the high leader mod and heroes grouped together can be rather nasty. In the second game I rolled high through the game, if I had rolled average then it would have been far less close. It was this threat that soured the second game for the German.

Still we got 2 games in, in 7 hours including a 30 min lunch break and a marathon 1 hour setup in the second game!!!!

I have a feeling I will be hard pressed to get him to play any more which is a shame as the second one was just what you would want from the game!!!

Ian

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Ya-

Other then a few proofing gaffs, the Scenarios are really tight believe it or not for a pack that is heavy with good American Leadership. Paul Mackancy (a fellow Brit of yours) and I finished up Man and Machine ealier this week with my Germans pulling out a win on turn 8, this was due to me putting Paul over on the American CVP cap. Plus he is kinda new to playing ASL, and did not use his Armors Smoke capability alot but he did use the American infantry smoke quite a few times. Anyway, we both had a blast playing this one, a nice medium sized fast paced scenario that puts ya right into the action.

Scott