board 6a los aa 18 to 6a t11 received an EEK! A BUG! Vassal internal error

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I'm about to play j161 riding to the rescue ftf. SO I was playing around with los checks on vasl and when I was trying to check from aa18 to t 11 ( there is a bridge there in this scenario) it says the los is blocked which it shouldn't be since there is only brush. After I saw that I tried a couple other los's and the eek bug error came up . Any ideas as to what happened?upload_2017-5-19_17-35-3.png

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The top part of the eeek a bug details in your printscreen just shows the normal startup information. If you can reproduce the bug, select everything in the details (click in with the mouse then control-A to select all), then copy (control-C) all the text and either put it here or add a bug at github.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A couple of thoughts. One, I think you actually meant board 6b (6a includes rows A - Q; I checked LOS on it this morning and it seemed to be working fine - using VASL6.4.0) but that is just a minor detail.

I had a problem with 6b as well; not the same as you. LOS was just not working.

Which versions of VASL and board 6b are you using?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As I read this again, I realize that you have two distinct problems:

1. The LOS from 6b aa18 to t11 (I think you actually meant Y11 which would have a bridge in it according to your image). The LOS engine is drawing the LOS to the -1 level of the water and not to the bridge. This is a bug and I will note it (can't promise an early fix). Thanks for passing it on.

2. You got an EEK a bug when you drew a LOS check from Offboard to 6aJ10 (as shown in the last chat entry in your image). The error is because the starting point is off the map. We are trying to trap all these errors in VASL and simply bounce you out of the LOS check. The effect for a player would be that nothing would happen visually, no LOS line would show and, more importantly, no EEK a bug. This should mostly be fixed by 6.4.0 but I have found one or two special cases that still triggered the bug. Those will be cleaned up in future versions. It is easy to unintentionally draw a los check from/to an offboard point, especially in a hex with its center point on a board edge.