Board 14 and Multi-Story Building B23.23

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All all,

Small coding error? The building adjacent to board 14 runways contains a large white square. My reading of B23.23 suggests this is a two-and-a-half level obstacle (ground floor plus two above ground). This VASAL screen shot (viewed 7 Jan '22) reports level two as a virtual location (VASSAL 3.5.8 and VASL 6.6.4-beta1).

23.23 MULTI-STORY BUILDING: "Any building containing a stairwell symbol is considered a 2½ level obstacle to LOS. Such buildings contain both a level 1 and level 2 Location in addition to the ground level hex."

Cheers

[Edited to italicize “virtual.”]

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL is fine there. It is tracing LOS from a hypothetical unit in Level 2 of that building, which barring rooftops being in effect, is as high as a unit sighting or being sighted could be. Now, if you had a unit in a different hex at level 2 trying to trace LOS to another Level 2 unit and the LOS went through L5 and VASL allowed it, then you would have a problem. What you show is fine.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL is fine there. It is tracing LOS from a hypothetical unit in Level 2 of that building, which barring rooftops being in effect, is as high as a unit sighting or being sighted could be. Now, if you had a unit in a different hex at level 2 trying to trace LOS to another Level 2 unit and the LOS went through L5 and VASL allowed it, then you would have a problem. What you show is fine.
Hi Carln,

Thanks for your reply. My observation is that the level two location isn't a virtual location: it's real. For comparison, I believe the tower on board 23, as shown below, is properly traced. Does this new screenshot help? Cheers

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, your point revolves around the use of the terminology "Virtual". I see. I agree that the other building location is real as well. Not quite sure where that term is coming from. Perhaps Doug or one of the code writers can assist there.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, your point revolves around the use of the terminology "Virtual". I see. I agree that the other building location is real as well. Not quite sure where that term is coming from. Perhaps Doug or one of the code writers can assist there.
Hi again,

If I remember the update correctly, Doug and our other VASL gods added the feature and term to help us with offboard observers. I think this is simply a case of the board 14 building not being coded properly as having two floors above ground.

Ciao.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi again,

If I remember the update correctly, Doug and our other VASL gods added the feature and term to help us with offboard observers. I think this is simply a case of the board 14 building not being coded properly as having two floors above ground.

Ciao.
Yet the LOS seems good

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
EJ1 is right about this.

The 14L5 los only shows clear because of the "virtual" doesnt-actually-exist level that I created in VASL6.6.3. If you were doing that los check in vasl6.6.2 or earlier, you would only be able to go up to level 1. So there is a problem with that particular hex. Easy to fix. I suspect it is not the only instance of that terrain type (a single hex house with a ground, first and second level) being miscoded in VASL. I will fix bd14 and reissue it and create an issue to check other boards for similar terrain.

This thread also points out the downside of the virtual levels. If you are not paying close attention it is easy to misunderstand what los you're actually checking. I still think the benefits outweigh the risk.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fixed.

20180In my universe, a red los line is clear!

Revised bd14 will autosync when you click on it in boardpicker or open an existing game that uses it.

Carl, note how the los info for the firing hex (L5) is different from the OP.