"Blue on Blue" Scenario?

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 39287
Was reading the Armerican Forces in Action Series: St-Lo.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/100/100-13/index.html

"The trouble on the highway was apparently the result of another incident in the two-day mix-up between our own infantry and the armor of Combat Command B. When the leading elements of Task Force Y, Company I of the 33d Armored Regiment, finally got to the highway about 1630 after their painful progress across country, they became confused and turned north up the main road, advancing straight toward the 117th's lines and toward the division's supporting guns, both tank destroyers and antiaircraft batteries. With a real and dangerous German armored attack in progress just to the west, there was every reason for the fully-alerted antitank crews to swing into action. A fight instantly developed, the armor coming in with its 75-mm guns and machine guns blazing. The two leading tanks were knocked Out by friendly fire before Company I realized its mistake and turned south on a proper course.

The whole mix-up at the highway was "one of those things" that could happen to any unit, particularly troops that were still inexperienced. Perhaps the best commentary on the affair, and on the attitude of troops that went through it, is the report for 9 July of the 823d Tank Destroyer Battalion..."

Are there any ASL scenarios that feature 'blue on blue' actions?

In the account from St-Lo you have the 33 Armored Regiment/3rd Armored Divsion vs the 117th Infantry Regiment/3rd Battalion/30 Inf. Division.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any ASL scenarios that feature 'blue on blue' actions?

Not in the sense of a true "friendly fire" situation, to the best of my knowledge. (There are a handful of scenarios featuring Wehrmacht and SS personnel on opposite sides, but they were knowingly hostile.) I've thought of trying to do something similar to what you describe for the attack on Kiska for Operation Cottage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cottage The problem is that it seems like the only reasonable victory condition would be for the two sides to figure out that they're shooting at their own men and, of course, the players would already know that, so I'm not sure how it could be simulated.

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Operation Kiska...Thanks for sharing, don't recall ever reading about it. Any books/documents (CARL library) you could recommend?

I was thinking just making standard CVP victory conditions. The novelty of the scenario (Kiska) would be the opportunity to use Canadian 13th BrigadeBritish counters vs 17th IDUS counters. Maybe make the scenario 4-5 turns to reflect the more limited engagement time until both sides realize the mistake?

For the St-Lo scenario, the VC would be for the 33rd Armored Regiment to X amount of AFVs off-board. They would have to attack thru Defenders position. Again the novelty would be in using US counters vs US counter in a strictly historic situation. Again limit the turn length to reflect correct time frame?

Last edited:

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Operation Kiska...Thanks for sharing, don't recall ever reading about it. Any books/documents (CARL library) you could recommend?
Sorry, other than the resources at the Wikipedia link, I don't know of any off-hand.