Bloody Buron CG

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With OzB in our rear view mirror, Guy and I move on to the next Lone Canuck CG and decide to take on Bloody Buron. Since Guy defended in OzB, I will take the defense in BB and thus I have the SS. Reading over the rules and setup, I see that I will have very few troops for this one, but a lot of MGs. So it's going to be a static defense in depth. I got plenty of fortification points for the initial setup and will probably be buying all of the forts I can for the 4 CG dates. I am not very good at static defenses and setting up forts but that makes it a good puzzle for me. :)

It took me a while to get my setup done (check out the pictures) but I end up with mines covering the northern part of the map by the AT ditch. This is supported by 4 PBs with MMGs and HMGs. The HMGs anchor the board edges with the MMGs in the middle. I roll really well for leadership and get a 10-2 and stash him with the HMG in the east PB. I purchase another HW platoon and set those up in foxholes in grain as the next MG layer. They are all HIP too. The last of the front defense is a pair of 75* INF guns. They are pretty far forward and I hope to get lucky with a HEAT shot (H8) against some Canadian armor or funnies and then take shots at infantry until they die.

I get 1 PzIV with the OB and buy a 2nd one. They are setup pretty far back but with some decent LOS. I will take advantage of the 75L vs the 75 (except for the Fireflys). I bought a platoon of infantry and setup them up on board in the village. A 81mm MTR goes with them and a HIP spotter a level 1. Finally, I buy some battalion MTR OBA (81mm) with an OBO.

I bought a lot of dummy counters to hopefully keep him guessing. I also hope a lot can pull back so I can reuse them in later TMs.

I have basic coverage for a left, middle or right attack. Assuming he focuses on 1, I get almost 1/2 of my forces to shoot at it. The PzIVs can move around to help. Hopefully it will be enough to slow him down.

Boresight:
A13 HMG: Q5
F17 MMG: F5
M13 MMG: A7
Q11 MMG: E5
R11 MMG: X2
R18 HMG: R2
Y13 HMG: Y1
GG9 HMG: Q1

OBA: P6
(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/BB-firelanes.jpg)

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/BB-G-setup.jpg)

Pre-game bombardment:
East = lost 1 AT mine and 2 Wires

West = lost 1 AP mine and 2 Wires

Canadian 1:
The Canadians come on board and the main attack is in the east. The west has a Sherm III and Sherm VC come on board with about 3 squads and a 8-1. I take a shot from the Q11 MMG in a PB and he cowers for no FL.

In the east I am able to channel him a bit with FLs and break a 458 in the process. In DF I get a SR for the 120mm OBA into CC8 but draw a red card for the 81mm OBA. I take some shots from a INF gun and the PzIVs but they just get ACQ. The 81mm MTR also shoots for ACQ. The Canadians just get ACQ in AF. All Canadians route safely.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-2-endofC1.jpg)

German 1:
No one rallies and I move the 120mm OBA SR to FF4. The Q11 MMG breaks a 1/2 squad but all other Prep is NE. The PzIV in the east does not find his sD but does manage to get away cleanly behind the light bocage. The PzIV in the west tries to BFF SMOKE a Sherm VC and loses the gun duel, but the Sherm misses!! Turns out I don't have SMOKE so I take an AP shot. I roll a critical hit and burn the Sherm VC!! Then I run away to H26. I like this tank; I will call him Snuffles. :)

DF: The Canadian 80mm OBA gets radio contact and a black card to drop an SR in T16. The Regimental OBA does not get radio contact. The rest of DF are some Sherm III shots at ? units and infantry assembling 51mm MTRs. I malf the east PzIVs MA in AF and not much happens for the rest of the turn.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-3-endofG1.jpg)

Canadian 2:
This was not a good turn for the Canadians. :(

A Sherm VC with busted MA rolls a 6 to get recalled. Then a 458 rolls boxcars to CR (458s = engineers). No other Canadians rally. But, I then roll a 6 on a PzIV with a busted MA to recall him! Oh well.

Lots of SMOKE attempts:

BB3 51mm MTR = no smoke
U3: 51mm MTR = got in R11 but last round
D3: 51mm MTR = got it D10
BB4: Sherm III = no smoke

OBA: The 80mm MTR OBA gets the SR to AA13 and the Regimental OBA gets radio contact back to put a SR on L9.

Successful prep shots were from a Sherm III in T5 to S12 to find dummies (warm German SAN pins a 247 in U3). A Sherm III in W2 finds dummies in Z12 and a Sherm III in BB4 finds dummies in G11 (cold German SAN). All other shots were misses for ACQ.

Movement: E4 457/LMG moves to E5 and gets a shot from Q11 MMG for a NMC which breaks him. A Sherm III in E3 gets to D11 and take a BFF shot a my PzIV in H26 but misses. A 457 moves from T5 into a minefield in T6 and breaks on a NMC (6FP minefield). A Crab from U4 moves to U5 to clear some mines but they are revealed as dummy mines. I try taking a MMG shot from R11 to get a FL but he cowers for no FL.

From Z4 a 7-0 and 458/DC Armor assault under a Sherm III to Z6. I take a shot from the 10-2 HMG in G11 for a 2MC which breaks the 458/DC and keeps RoF (cold German SAN). The Crab in FF4 moves to FF5 to removes mines (these are real). A 457/LMG in DD5 searches from his own hex and finds that all of mines in front him are real. The G11 HMG takes a shot for a 6-3 but only gets a 1MC which the 457/LMG passes (no RoF). The rest of Movement is mainly assault moves southward.

DF is where all the magic happens. I bring down the 120mm OBA in place and it goes crazy. First, it creates several shellhole hexes. But it kills a Crab for no crew survival (also takes out the mines in that hex). Then it kills a Sherm III for no crew survival. This turned out way better than I hoped.

I move the 81mm OBA SR to U6 (after drift). The H26 PzIV shoots at Sherm III in D11 to miss and the HIP INF gun in L11 reveals and changes CA to shoot at D11 and also miss. The other INF gun shoots a CE Sherm III with HE and gets a 3MC but only pins the crew.

There is no AF, everyone routes safely, Canadians Advance forward and no CC.

German 2:
Only a Canadian 248/DC rallies. The 120mm OBA does more magic as it shifts 1 hex and lands in DD4. Here it KIAs a squad and breaks a 457 and 127. The 81mm OBA comes down in U3 to break and ELR a 247 and 457 and break a 9-1 in U4. The L11 INF gun only gets a PTC for NE against the CE Sherm III but the H26 PzIV hits and kills the Sherm III in D11 for no crew survival.

The Recalled PzIV heads off board (but doesn't make it) and the rest of movement is skulking concealed units. The Canadian 80mm OBA lands in X13 and breaks the X12 INF gun crew. The 348/HMG in a FH in Y13 passes a PTC. The Regimental OBA loses radio contact again. All other DF shots miss.

There is no AF. Route is mixed as both of us have some broken units that really cannot route due to OBA. But the rest of the Canadians can route safely. ADV is skulkers moving back and there is no CC.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-4-endofG2.jpg)

Canadian 3:
A 457/LMG rallies (B6), a 458/DC rallies (Z3) and a 457 self rallies (I5). No other Canadians rally. My busted 228 in X12 rallies so I think "at least he won't die from failed MC from the OBA".

Two SMOKE shots come down in Prep in I10 and GG9. The 80mm OBA loses radio contact but the mission continues in place to get an NMC on X12 who promptly rolls boxcars to die anyway. Oh the irony! The Regimental OBA gets radio contact back and coverts to L12. A NMC on L11 breaks the crew of the other INF gun. There is no other Prep shots.

Movement: A 248 from B7 moves to B8 to clear mines (sapper). From Z3 a 7-0 and 458/DC move to Y3 where the R11 MMG takes a 4+2 shot to cower. They then move to Y5 where Y13 takes a 6+3 for a PTC which they pass , a 458/DC rallies (Z3) and a 457 self rallies (I5). No other Canadians rally. My busted 228 in X12 rallies so I think "at least he won't die from failed MC from the OBA".

The 120mm OBA draws a black card and puts an SR in BB4. The 81mm OBA breaks a 457 in U5. The Q11 MMG takes a 4+2 shot at I6 for PTC which he passes (cold German SAN). The 81mm MTR misses Z6. No AF and my L11 crew is forced to stay put in Route. The Canadians route safely.

Advances are obviously forward and that 248 sapper does not remove any mines.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-5-endofC3.jpg)

German 3:
I roll snakes on the Wind change DR but then a 1 for nada. A Canadian 127 rallies but that is it. My 120mm OBA comes down in Prep and breaks another squad. The 81mm OBA comes down to kill a 9-1 (failed 1MC while broken and failed the wound check). The 81mm MTR drops on Y5 for a 1MC which breaks and ELRs a 6+1 leader and breaks a 458/DC. Got RoF to drop an ACQ on GG3. The MMG from the I7 PB gets a 1MC on I7 break and ELR a 457.

Movement is skulking and I move the PzIV to be HD (turns out to be a mistake).

DF:
The 100mm OBA DMs a 228 in L11 and the 80mm OBA moves to R11. But, the T5 Sherm III gets a critical hit on L11 to kill the 228 and INF gun! The Sherm III in C7 ends up having a clear LOS to my PzIV in I24 and gets an ACQ on him. The rest if NE.

Well since the C7 Sherm III has an ACQ on my, the PzIV shoots back, but boxcars to break the MA. Nothing else exciting happens for the rest of the turn.

Canadian 4:
No one rallies and I do not attempt to fix the PzIVs gun. D4 51mm MTR tries a SMOKE shot but has no rounds. The 80mm OBA drops a SMOKE mission on S11 (middle PBs). The 100mm OBA gets a new mission to Z12 (all black cards for both of us so far). The C7 Sherm III preps at the I24 PzIV for a critical hit to burn it. Now all of my AT assets are gone. The rest of Prep is NE.

Movement:
B8 will keep attempting to remove mines and the ? stack in GG4 moves into GG5 to attempt the same. A Crab moves into V6 for the same thing. The non broken Canadians north of the AT ditch move around a bit in the backfield, but there is just not a lot GO Canadians out there. The AFVs are active as the working AVRE gets a facine down in U6 (surviving 81mm OBA as it moved through) and keeps moving to V8. A Sherm III in BB2 moves on to FF7 and stays in Motion. An Sherm III in V1 (which I highly suspect is the OP tank) moves to DD5.

DF:
The 120mm OBA moves to CC2 where it gets a 2KIA and kills a 248/DC. The 81mm OBA moves to W7 for NE all around. The 81mm MTR breaks a 248/mtr and that is it for DF.

The burning PzIV spreads a Flame to the grain in hex in AF. All routing is safe and some advances occur. The Crab removes mines in V6 but the sappers are not successful and just get labor counters.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-6-endofC4.jpg)

German 4:
No rallies. New missions for the German OBAs (black cards) and the 120mm gets an SR in FF8 and the 81mm in V9. The 81mm MTR misses and I malf the HMG in GG9 in Prep. Movement is all skulking.

For DF, the 80mm OBA drops more SMOKE on the middle pillboxes and the 100mm OBA gets a 2MC on a 348/HMG in Y13 but he passes. The C7 Sherm III finds dummies in G14 with MGs and puts an ACQ on J17 with the MA. No blazes in AF but another Flame in I24. Nothing to report for Route, ADV or CC.

Canadian 5:
A 457 rallies in T6 (he's in a minefield) and I fix the HMG in GG9. The DD5 Sherm III still has SMOKE and smokes in GG9 again. The 100mm OBA stays put and only pins the 348/HMG. The 80mm OBA loses radio contact.

Movement:
B8 and GG5 continue their mine clearance work as well as the Crab in W6. The C7 Sherm III moves to H13. A 247 in D6 drops his 51mm MTR and moves to D9 where I reveal the PG in B14 and a 6-2 shot gets a 1MC to break him (no RoF or FL). The T5 Sherm III moves to M9 and stays in Motion. The V8 AVRE moves to X13 and seems to forget that I have PFs. :) The newly rallied 457 in T6 tries to leave his minefield but breaks on a 1MC. The BB4 Sherm III head over to give him a trail break to route through, though. The 2 GO leaders in the backfield move to get into position to rally some people. I get a FL off at a 7-0 but it's all for NE.

DF:
I correct and convert the 120m OBA and burn another Sherm III with snakes in CC10 (the 120mm OBA has killed 3 tanks so far). I keep the 81mm OBA a SR and it drives to W5. I try for a Pf vs the AVRE but cannot find one and my 81mm MTR misses again.

AF:
The H13 Sherm III and X13 AVRE get some ACQ. No blaze yet in I24 but it gets yet another Flame (3 now). Nothing to report for Route or ADV. The W6 Crab clears its mines but B8 and GG5 do not.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-7-endofC5.jpg)

German 5:
The Germans do not rally anything but the Canadians rally a leader and a squad. The German 120 OBA moves to CC7 but there is no bad guys to hit (a safe spot that would not blow up my own mines). I drop the 80 OBA on V4 and a 2MC double breaks a 1/2 squad and CRs a broken squad.

Prep continues as a 348 finds a Pf this time and burns the AVRE in X13. Other shots are NE and I malf the HMG in A13. Movement is 100% skulking. For DF the 105 OBA loses radio contact and the 80 OBA draws a red card. Otherwise just some ACQ shots. AF is just dealing with fire (nothing new); route, advance all happen and CC drifts on by. :)

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-8-endofG5.jpg)

Canadian 6:
No Canadians rally and I do not fix the HMG. Both Canadian OBAs get radio contact and draw black cards and SRs land in Z13 (105) and N9 (80). A Sherman III takes a shot with a CMG to discover it's out of ammo (boxcars). Another Sherman III shoots at dummies in I17 and gets a hit with the MA to reveal them.

For Movement the Crab continues to attempt to remove mines while the remaining Sherman IIIs consolidate. The remaining Canadian infantry are trying to reach TLs so they can setup on TM-II, as well as some mine clearance.

For DF, the 120 OBA draws a red card. The 80 OBA moves to Y2 and gets a K/2 on Z3. The 9-1 gets the K but is just wounded. The broken 6+1 wounds and the other broken unit makes it. I break the HMG in Y13 but also double break a 457 with a MMG from R11.

AF is just some Sherman IIIs getting ACQ and no fire spreading. Route is nothing special and drift to the end of the turn. The Crab clears another minefield but the infantry sappers are not so lucky.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-9-endofC6.jpg)

German 6:
I fix the HMG and no Canadians rally. Both of my OBA draw red cards this turn (have a lot of red cards in those decks). My MG preps are all for NE and the 81mm MTR just gets some ACQ in the AT ditch. Movement is all skulking. In DF the 80 OBA gets a SR to P11 and the 105 OBA gets an FFE to Z13 but to NE for the unit affected. Three Sherman IIIs takes shots for NE and one breaks its MA. AF is just fires as the I24 blaze spreads to K25 (stone building) and the wreck in X13 sets the local wheat on fire (gluten free now?). Guy rolls a '6' so we get at least turn 7.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-10-endofG6.jpg)

Canadian 7:
Guy rallies a 247, 458 and a 457 this turn. I manage to fix a busted HMG.

The 80 OBA comes down as SMOKE again to take out the center PBs. The 105 OBA stays put and creates a Flame in Z12. The Sherman III with the busted CMG takes a MA shot at a pillbox to also break the MA. Another Sherman III gets a good shot at my 81mm MTR crew to break them (good RoF tear).

Movement is some more mine clearance (Crab and a sapper squad) with some shuffling in the east and some probing in the west. The probing gets a shot from an HMG to break a 8-1 and later break a 457/LMG. For DF, I get black cards for my OBA this time and put the 120 SR in X7 and the 80 SR in K10. I reveal a 348 in M13 who finds a Pf but misses the Sherman III in K12. The 10-2 led HMG in the east gets a 2MC vs EE4 457/LMG who boxcars to ELR and CR.

AF is a Sherman III getting ACQ and no fires spreading. A 247/FT inches closer to my GG9, 10-2 lead HMG pillbox. Canadians are trying to grab TLs in the AT ditch so they can have a perimeter of sorts. The Crab takes out another minefield in CC but the sappers fail again.

German 7:
No rally stuff works out. I keep the 120 OBA in place and it KIA's a 457/LMG. The 80 OBA stays a SR and lands in K13. The west PB/HMG combo shoots at a 247 and breaks him. The M13 348 cannot find another Pf and the GG9 HMG gets RoF against that pesky FT but it passes 2 1MCs!!!

Another Sherman III breaks its CMG on a FF shot but otherwise movement is all skulking. For DF the Canadian 80 OBA keeps the SMOKE coming (sheesh!!!) and the 105 OBA draws a red card. In AF, 2 Flames become Blazes. Nothing exciting happens in the rest of the turn and Guy rolls a '3' to end TM-I.

(image: http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-I-11-endofG7.jpg)

Commentary to follow.

MikeS

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TM-I Casualties:
C1: Sherm III+crew VC burned by PzIV
C2: Sherm VC+crew+9-1AL recalled
C2: C 248: 458 boxcars rally to CR
C2: Crab+crew KIA by 120 OBA
C2: Sherm III+crew III KIA by 120 OBA
C2: AVRE killed by PzIV
G2: Sherm III+crew killed by PzIV
C3: G 228 boxcars NMC
G3: G 228 4KIA
G3: G INF 4KIA
C4: PzIV burn
C5: Sherm III+crew burned by 120 OBA
G5: C 237, 247 double break from 81 OBA
G5: AVRE burned from Pf
C6: C 247 double break from 81 OBA
C7: C 237 double break from 2MC
G7: C 457 1KIA from 120 OBA
CON: C 2x Sherm III in enemy FEBA and far away from Friendly FEBA
CON: C 457, 247 in enemy FEBA and far away from Friendly FEB

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it an SSR that a 120mm creates Shellholes (Canadian 2)? I thought you needed a 150+ to do so. Like the AAR though.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good call JR. Good thing I didn't have any. :)
Yes but if you had taken the initial DR as your TH DR you wouldn't have gotten a critical hit. The Pz IV has s8 (and s9 if SS), so that means you would not have hit on an ordinary BFF (especially with Case B & Case C applying).

JR

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but if you had taken the initial DR as your TH DR you wouldn't have gotten a critical hit. The Pz IV has s8 (and s9 if SS), so that means you would not have hit on an ordinary BFF (especially with Case B & Case C applying).

JR
Agreed, but it is way A.2 by this point in time.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it an SSR that a 120mm creates Shellholes (Canadian 2)? I thought you needed a 150+ to do so. Like the AAR though.
Another F'up. We thought 120mm could do shellhole creation too. Our mistake. :(

perelandra67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks Mike for writing this up. I had every intention to do the same, but once the dice start rolling and I quickly figure out my plans are terrible and my canadians start dying all over the place, I lose the will to keep notes for a decent AAR. What I can provide is my thoughts for those who care. At least I can say i played this TM historically accurate - my guys got massacred.

First off, OBA was a shock to me. I totally under estimated the value of it, specifically in regards to knocking out AFV's. I had never seen it used so successfully. I think OBA accounted for at least 4 tank kills. Add to that my ignorance of refit phase AFV rules, some stupid decisions and, viola, there goes almost all my starting AFVS. That really hurt.

My plans for this TM was obviously to test the flanks. I did manage to get through the east-west minefield in several points, including a fascine over the A-t ditch. But by the time I did that I did not have enough armor or good order units to exploit the breaches. I think I could have even overcome the loss of AFV's if I had managed to secure enough tactical locations, but I didn't do well there either. It's a case of the proverbial "if I only one more turn..."

So, in anticipation of TM 2 I have to be mindful of refit phase rules (especially regarding AFV's) and I have to be much more cautious with my tanks. I need a significant breakthrough on this TM date if I have any chance of winning. Not only that, I need to do a better job at keeping my boys alive. One thing in my favor is that I have a big advantage in how much stuff I can purchase (because of BB rules and because I lost so many guys). hopefully I can find a weak spot in Mike's defense and exploit. Knowing Mike though, this will be near impossible.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Much too kind Guy. I am not good at static defense. You'll find the hole, it's only a matter of time. :)

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We kicked of TM II last night. But, our schedules are erratic so it may be a while before we can post the TM II AAR.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's been pretty busy for me and Guy, but we managed to finish up TM-II of Bloody Buron recently. The Canadians have made it south of the A9-GG12 road and thus can now setup there to push to the A20-GG23 road. That really is the key, IMHO, as now the Canadians can really start to get some VP and it's only 3 hexes at its narrowest to the next VP road (A32-GG27). The Canadians have 2 dates left to get it done.

I setup some more MGs and 348s HIP in the grain (in foxholes), but a few more AT minefields and got another 2 modules of OBA; since it was so effective in TM I. I also bought another platoon of infantry and Pz IVJ. We're going to have some fires burning in the grain in the east, so that will make things interesting. Not sure where Guy will push hard yet, but he needs to get across the 1st road (A9-GG12) in force in the date.

German setup:

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-1-German_setup.jpg]

Canadian 1:

Guy purchased Recon and discovers mainly dummies but a few real units too. OBA SMOKEs in the middle pillboxes again and a little in the east too. No other Prep shots and the Canadians are on the move. The movement is fairly cautious for the on board units and the reinforcements coming from offboard. My only FF shot of note breaks a squad and he puts down a firelane to restrict movement a bit (over on the east side of the map.
I get the OBA SRs down in DFPh but nothing else major happens. Same for AFPh as it's just ACQ shots and rolling for flames/blazes. Canadian 1 ends quietly with some more TLs captured in the AT ditch.

German 1:
I call the 81mm OBA down in G11 but it has no effect. The 105mm OBA comes down in HH7 and breaks a 458/DC and removes a Wire counter (in GG8). Prep ends with a broken 247/PIAT in P6 and a 248/DC gets K/2 in A12 from a German HMG.

MPh is 99% skulking and a 348/PsK in the east heads forward behind the light bocage to counter any Shermans trying to sneak down the eastern board edge.

In DFPh the Canadian OBA gets more SMOKE in the middle area and a SR in FF17. IN BB17 a 8-0 breaks on a 1MC but the 348/HMG makes it. No AFPh shots and flame spreading this turn. RPh and CC are quiet so German 1 ends.

Canadian 2:
Canadian SMOKE comes down in GG9 (+5 now!) and a Sherman III in CC6 discovers it left the Smoke rounds back at base. The 1st Canadian OBA module comes down and breaks a 348/HMG in BB14. The second puts an SR in CC14. Four(!) foxholes are dug in the Canadian backfield and a fifth gets a Labor counter. No other effective PFPh shots.

The Sherman Crabs (2 are still on board) remove mines in I8 and T6. An AVRE moves up to I6; looking to drop it's bundle on western side of the AT ditch. A Sherman III moves into U4 and discovers an AT minefield and gets Immobilized for its trouble (crew stays put). The Canadian horde continues to creep southward across all fronts. A 457/LMG draw 2 fire lanes but ultimately they have no effect.
DFPh is quiet for me as the OBA does nothing and all I can manage is to break a 247 via the 81mm MTR. AFPh is also quiet except of the fields continuing to burn down in the east.

Routes and Advances occur and in CC the Sherman Crabs remove the minefields safely.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-2-endofC2.jpg]

German 2:
A German 348 boxcars a rally attempt to die (goes into the Walking Wounded pool) and the Canadians rally a 458/DC and a 247/PIAT. But Guy also rolls boxcars attempting to rally a 247.

PFPh is the 81mm OBA coming down for NE and the 105mm OBA getting an SR to CC8. A 348/MMG comes out of the Q11 PB to get out of the SMOKE. I stupidly move the 10-2, 348/HMG out of the GG9 PB too. Both end up breaking. Sigh, my 10-2's always suck. I move up the Pz IVJ to threaten the Sherman III that broke my dang 10-2. The rest of MPh is skulking.

The Canadian 105mm OBA drops in Y15 which pins a 348/HMG in Z15. The 76mm OBA drops an SR in GG18 (near my Pz IVJ). A 51mm MTR and a Sherman III both discover that they do not have SMOKE (before the OBA of course) and that is it for DFPh.

The Pz IVJ takes a AFPh shot and breaks its MA!! Then in RPh, the 10-2 and 348 die for Failure to Route. Really dumb move taking them out of the PB.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-3-endofG2.jpg]

Canadian 3:
My 8-0 rallies, but the Pz IVJ fails to fix its MA.

A Canadian 51mm MTR drops SMOKE in FF13 and then the 76mm OBA puts an FFE in EE20 but for NE. The 105mm OBA stays in Y15 and it is also for NE.

A Crab finds a dummy minefield in J8 while the AVRE moves up and drops the fascine in I10. I can't really do anything about it so a Sherman III uses it to get to J16. A Firefly moves up to J12 and another Sherman III to L10. The Canadian grunts in the west move and I get several RoF shots but only manage to pin a leader. The middle and eastern forces also move and I get some shots and fire lanes down but all for NE.

DFPh for me is all ineffective and pretty much the same for the Canadians in AFPh. More fires are started, though. Nothing special in RPh or APh and the other Crab removes a minefield in S6.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-4-endofC3.jpg]

German 3:
I rally a 348/MMG in O15 but my Pz IVJ does not fix its MA. Nothing recorded for the Canadians in RPh. German PFPh is negligible as the 105mm OBA does nothing and the 81mm OBA draw a red card (Pleva rule in effect). I decide it's time to pull back a bit so the 81mm MTR moves back into the village (it was already dm) and the Germans in the fields slide back towards the village (though there are not many Germans left in the fields).

Canadian DFPh has the 105mm OBA break a 348/HMG while the 76mm OBA cancels its mission as it has no targets (the Pz IV moved out of LOS). AFPh has more fires spreading but no shots and nothing exciting happens for the rest of the turn.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-5-endofG3.jpg]

Canadian 4:
Guy rallies a 247 while I rally no one and do not fix the MA of the Pz IVJ. No SMOKE for the Canadians and both OBA modules come down as SRs (105mm to R16 and 76mm to Q6). A Sherman III breaks a 348/MMG in L10 (who was not able to get INTO the PB last turn) and 2 more foxholes are dug (and 1 more still in progress).

In the west, the Canadians push south. A 247 comes out of the AT ditch and draws a 2FP firelane from F17 (HIP 348/MMG in a foxhole). That redirects things a bit, but the Sherman IIIs move southward and the AVRE joins them. The Sherman Crab in J8 moves into K7 looking to remove another minefield. More infantry head southward and most are fine but a 457/LMG pins from a German HMG shot. In the middle, a 247 runs into the Wire just north of the pillboxes and gets hung up. Other units join them in creeping up on those 2 pillboxes. The west is mainly some shuffling but the other Sherman Crab discovers a dummy minefield in R7.

DFPh is very quiet for the Germans as all we do is assemble the 81mm MTR and adjust SRs for the OBA (the 81mm OBA drew a black card). AFPh is mainly a few ACQ shots but a Sherman III breaks its MA in GG13 taking one of them. In another FAIL, a 348 is forced to surrender in the middle. But in CC, a Sherman Crab fails to clear mines as it rolls and 11 and busts its fail. :)

German 4:
Neither of us are able to fix our broken MAs and I do not rally a 348/HMG in AA17. The 81mm OBA draws another red card and the 105mm OBA drops an SR into U11. A MMG gets a 1MC to break a squad in U9. The really fun shot is I reveal a 7-0, 348/MMG in a foxhole in H18 with a Sherman III 2 hexes away. The 348 can't find a Pf but the 7-0 can and it burns the Sherman III in J17.

Movement is minor and the Canadians only get some ACQ counters in DFPh. No shots in AFPh for me and some Canadians are actually able to route forward due to lack of LOS to Germans!.

Canadian 5:
No Canadians rally but I do manage to fix the Pz IVJ's MA and I rally a 348/HMG with the help of an 8-0. The Firefly takes a shot at H18, looking for revenge for his buddy getting torched, but misses. A Sherman III takes an Area shot at R15 and also misses. No OBA coming down this turn.

The Canadians need to press forward and that they do. A 247/51mmMTR moves into a minefield in AA11 and suffers a K/2. The 247 stuck on the Wire in Q10 is still stuck on the Wire. The Crab that is still working finds dummy mines. The AVRE heads towards the A13 PB! The rest of the west/middle forces move southward but fairly cautiously (drawing at least 1 firelane). The east also creeps up and I manage to pin a 458/DC that reached BB15.

Another red card for the 81mm OBA but the 105mm OBA comes down and does great. It gets a K/4 to kill a 247 and break a 7-0. A 2MC also breaks a 247/PIAT. Finally an HMG in AA17 breaks the 458/DC in BB15.

AFPh is mainly ACQ shots and blaze spreading. Finally, the BB15 458/DC is forced to surrender to the ADJACENT 348/PsK in CC15.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-6-endofC5.jpg]

German 5:
This turn is fairly quiet. No action in RPh, only Prep results are a KIA from the 105mm OBA (457) which also wounded an 8-0 and I break a MMG on a shot. The main movement was the 348/PsK and prisoners moving into BB15. It draws lots of fire but all it does is kill the prisoners! The now fixed Pz IVJ moves up to the light bocage line in the east and takes a BFF shot but misses. It stays in Motion and drops some smoke in its hex (was that legal?). No 105mm OBA this turn and the 76mm OBA drops a SR in GG12. Some of the infantry assemble their 51mm MTRs (getting ready for some SMOKE shots I'd bet). German 7-0 fails a 1MC to break and a Sherman III breaks its CMG in AFPh. That's the turn.

Canadian 6:
I fix an MMG in RPh and then Guy finds some SMOKE from a 51mm MTR which lands in F17. The Canadian OBA is gone as the 76mm OBA loses radio contact and the 105mm OBA draws a red card. But, another foxhole is dug in EE8 and the Crab with the broken flail gets a 1MC on H18 and the 348 there rolls boxcars to die.

Not much movement. A couple of squads come down in the west and 127 in the middle moves beyond the pillboxes. That 247 in Q10 also gets under the Wire finally. Not much happens in the east. For DF the 81mm OBA breaks a 247 and the 105mm OBA puts an SR in Q11 (pillbox country). A German HMG gets a 1MC on a 248/FT and he also boxcars to die. The turn ends with a Crab clearing a minefield in P7.

German 6:
Nothing exciting the RPh and the 81mm OBA gets a 1MC but the 457 makes it. The 105mm OBA pins my own 348 in R11 and pins a 127 in Q12. I also break a HMG in BB15 in Prep. Movement is mainly the Pz IVJ retreating back to a hulldown position beyond the light bocage. The Canadian 76mm OBA is back and drops an SR in BB17. The 105mm OBA draws a red card. My Fanatic 348 in B15 shrugs off a 3MC and 1MC but a 348/MMG breaks in R12. The 348/MMG manages to route away and the Guy actually rolls a '1' to end the TM! Much too short for the Canadians IMHO.

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-7-endofG6.jpg]

We ran through the Consolidation phase and ended up losing another 348 during Redeployment. So the CVP totals for TM II are a such:

CVP:
C1
C 248 KIA
G2 G 348 boxcar rally
G2 C 247 boxcar rally
G2 G 10-2 FTR
G2 G 348 FTR
C4 G 348 surrenders
G4 C Sherman III burns from Pf
C5 C 247 K/2
C5 C 247 K/4
C5 C 458 surrenders
G5 C 457 1KIA
C6 C 248 boxcars 1MC
Refit G 348

CVP totals:
German: 9 CVP lost
Canadian: 17 lost

Not nearly as bad for the Canadians as in TM I. They have made progress over the 1st road. Now they have 2 more dates to really move into the village. It'll be a battle!

That's the facts. I'll try to post some thoughts later.

A little preview. Here is the "perimeter map":

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-II-8-perimeter.jpg]

And here is the German setup for TM-III:

[http://www.komerex.com/asl/images/BB/TM-III-German-setup.jpg]

Last edited:

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So a few thoughts on the situation....

While the Canadians made some progress and didn't lose a lot of CVP, I believe they need to play catchup. I'm counting 54 VP for the Canadians right now, and that doesn't count subtracting German VP. So the Canadians need to move fast into the village and kill Germans along the way in the next 2 TMs. The Germans need to "hold the line" as much as possible at the 2nd road/village border. If they can do that then they will win. I'm expecting the max OBA from the Canadians and maybe even some aircraft, if Guy has the CPPs to get it. As always, infantry wins CGs, so we'll see the max of that too (10 more squads). Time is on my side so far. :)

MikeS

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Canadian SMOKE comes down in GG9 (+5 now!)
I am not sure it is necessary but I will point out that per A24.2 SMOKE counters are cumulative but the maximum effective Hindrance is +3 per Location (+4 if the LOS is outgoing). There may be +5 counters in the hex but treat it as a +3 Hindrance.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per C8.5, Smoke may only be placed during the PFPh or the DFPh. No BFF Smoke.
Way late on this, but even without the C8.5 prohibition, you cannot use Area Target Type during Bounding First Fire, C3.33. So while Smoke is NA in any but the PFPh or the DFPh, You can use WP as Bounding Fire (still has to be the first attack in the AFPh), but still not as Bounding First Fire.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure it is necessary but I will point out that per A24.2 SMOKE counters are cumulative but the maximum effective Hindrance is +3 per Location (+4 if the LOS is outgoing). There may be +5 counters in the hex but treat it as a +3 Hindrance.

JR
Ah yes, I did not realize that. Re-read A24 right now and it's right there. :) See? That's why I post these AARs; to find out where we F'd up. :)

MikeS

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Way late on this, but even without the C8.5 prohibition, you cannot use Area Target Type during Bounding First Fire, C3.33. So while Smoke is NA in any but the PFPh or the DFPh, You can use WP as Bounding Fire (still has to be the first attack in the AFPh), but still not as Bounding First Fire.
Yeah, that was already covered Brian. :)