Blood on the Tracks RO1

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German: Ralph
Russian: yours truly

Played this during the open gaming portion of the '19 nor'Easter Thursday in The Time-Out Room-a small, severe warren with extremely limited room to specifically enclose two of the loudest, most obnoxious attendees (being Doc Sullivan and, I guess, myself) away from the general population of the tourney. That notwithstanding, the discussion over this scenario really picqued my interest as all presumed four legged canines tend to. We were aware of the recent clarifications to the VC and made sure they were known prior to play.

I ended up rolling the Russians and went about preparing my defense. I was/am fond of the J32 bastion. I had 7 squads, a MMG, 2 LMGs, ATR and 9-0 in the building sprinkled on all levels (ground level hexes fortified), one 628 in the cellar was tasked with playing in the sewers on turn 2 to be a PITA. I had a tunnel running to J32 from M31 with 2x628s ready to reinforce if necessary. I put a trench in K33 with a 45LL and a MMG, both crew served. Wire in front I32/33 and 3 6FP minefields in H33, H31, H29. I exchanged 6AP for 2 AT, 1 each of which went into F32 and G33. Way up front I had wire in the boulevard (more on that later) in E29, E32 and E27.

Across the width of the G hexrow, behind a screen of 7 Dummy stacks in the F hexrow, I had 3 groups of 2 squads adjacent to each other to place fire on the road on German crossing and backstop the rubble field splitting the front (G24/5, G27/8 and G30/1). As something of a backstop to protect the frontline units and slow down any hard push towards a factory grab, I had an 8-1, 458/MMG in I27. The back areas, given the newly clarified VC, were sparsely held, though with some key assets: 45LL in L25, 228/HMG (HIP) in Q27 2nd level, 9-2, 228/HMG in L28 and the last FortLoc in L30 with a 458/MMG. The last two trenches cut a safer path from Hall 5 to factory N30. My thoughts for the reinforcements were to get a 9-0 and 527 quickly into Hall 3 to help the 458 already there feel less uneasy and have the remaining 527s head to Shop 1. 426s would flood Hall 3 and hunker down.

Ralph duly set up his Germans, and I was staring at a HARD (Russian) RIGHT assault. Defended immediately by 3 squads, one of which could only see E26 (458/MMG). Balls. This ends up being compounded when Ralph gets a SR on J32 (extra chit draw) which is only the beginning for this building and the accursed German OBA. His attack is careful, especially as I declined to fire on his HS scouts. On the whole, the Germans move straight forward with no shearing off towards J32, making me somewhat nervous with the paucity of defenders in their immediate front. The pressure is starting to get applied in following turns as the Germans pretty much flood across the boulevard, with a little, though not much, discomfort. (This ended up in part due to the fact that I forgot the -1TEM for boulevards which would have led me to fire more on the crossing.) At the point I was feeling somewhat comfortable with the defense on the right, after a particularly effective set of DFire (T3), it all fell apart next turn: two of the three squads pinned, later to die by the bayonet and the 8-1/458 combo got spanked with a pretty CH from a StuG-the leader ELR'd to an 8-0, the squad ELR'd and reduced to a 237 HS. The follow up shot gives me back an 8-1, heroic even (!), though the HS is, like The Rooster, snuffed. Defense on this side is now in peril, as the Germans are established within reach of the railroad embankment in the temporary warehouses.

On the Russian left, the deleterious effects of constant artillery fire has left most of the occupants of the Northern strongpoint either broken and/or huddled in the cellar. Fortunately, there have been no German attacks in this area. That is looking like it will soon change. Due, partly, to the increasing conflagration which started in the rubble field, the Germans are being forced forward and apart. As they move into the central areas of the battleground, Russian defenses stiffen with intense small arms fire forcing some imposing assault groups back. Supporting machine gun fires from the factories to the rear also prove crucial in blunting other moves towards J32. Mines help as well, breaking and reducing, of all things Pioneers, much to the chagrin and ire of the German commander who berates his sturmpioneres and questions the presence of their, ahem, manhood.

About turn 5, the German OBA abates (finally...) and the Germans appear now to be pushing to clear the Russians back across the railroad. The sewer SMG squad draws lots of attention, but, forced betwixt a rock and a hard place, dishes out, again, some pretty impressive fires keeping the Germans once more at bay. A supporting StuG even bogs on some tricksy Russian wire while attempting to corner their quarry. By now, without the pounding artillery, the remaining (4.5 squads) Russians in J32 have to buck up and face an impending attack by another imposing German sturm group. The Germans falter, running into a minefield, which again, metes out disproportionate results (9-2, 838) when accompanied once more by withering MG fire.

In the background, the Russians are spreading out to man the railroad embankment with supporting groups, where available, backing the lines up, and reinforcements prepare to run the tunnel into J32. At this point, with his forces disorganised and in some cases, not likely to get into the necessary geographical area, Ralph conceded.

Now, I cannot say this was a high-level playing, as both Ralph and I haven't been highly active players, but I know I felt around turns 3,4 that it wasn't going to end well for the Russians. Some key results at key times aided-and hurt-us both, but I do feel I had the upper hand on the fortune side for a change (Ralph did tell me his luck sucks generally). His attack into the weakest sector of my lines was making good headway until he ran into a mini Russian buzzsaw. I think by the time the Germans pulled back to try another day, on that flank, there may not have been any German leaders left. He attempted to push beyond the temporary warehouses but was thrown back by timely effective Russian fires. None-the-less, we both enjoyed the hell out of the scenario.

As an aside, the other inmates in The Time-Out Room also played this scenario-a wildly different playing I might add, with an imposing upfront, in-your-face Russian defense which didn't let the Germans breathe or cross the boulevard until T3. As it looked when we packed it in, it was looking like another Russian win.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am having a hard time figuring out how certain detals of your game were played. An SR could be put on the J32 building by targeting the J32 building rooftop on the first turn, but that SR could not be converted to an FFE without LOS either to the base of the hex or to a KEU. I assume you did not set up on the J32 rooftop, so to see the J32 building level one the observer would have to either move into LOS (e.g. hexrow P) or to the D27 building, to the rooftop to see the ground level. If the observer moved to D27 on turn one, he could get the SR on Soviet turn one. Assuming the extra chit draw was successful and the OBA was accurate the observer would have to make a second extra chit draw in order to convert the OBA unless again there was a KEU. If there were any inaccuracy that would translate into more extra chit draws.

100mm OBA against the fortified ground level of a stone building should be at 20FP +5 DRM. That is roughly equivalent to a four FP +0 attack vs eight ML troops. If eight ML troops are breaking like dry twigs on 20FP +5 attacks, it's time to send the dice glass in to relieve the dice tower, because the tower is off its game.

If anything moves to the rooftop of the D27 building, the Soviets should shoot at it. It's probably the OBA Observer. One possible counter for that is to put a HIP (or even concealed) MG on the rooftop of a taller building, e.g. at level two-and-a-half in L25. Anything on the rooftop will lose concealment from the higher viewer. You can then use FP from lower levels if the Stukas are around or from that rooftop MG if not. The rooftop MG will also be useful later.

"This ended up in part due to the fact that I forgot the -1TEM for boulevards which would have led me to fire more on the crossing." If you are placing wire on the Tramvanaya you really should defend it. I would be tempted to put a squad and LMG in in each of F27 & F28. The LMG would be used for a firelane into the street. The squads would cover the rubble and/or other threats. Dummies in hexrow F is not bad, but it's kind of a given. It might be better leave hexrow F mostly empty, with possibly a dummy or two and maybe a HIP squad (or crew without MG?) . The Tramvanaya is covered by units in hexrows G, H & I. That extra -1 TEM DRM means the Germans will not be rushing across that street.

The problem I have with this scenario is that I have lots of good ideas for the Soviets and not many for the Germans. If the Soviets try an up-front defense I would suggest bringing down the OBA as Smoke, but I also don't think the Soviets should try the stiff up-front defense. They should slow the Germans down in wooden buildings for the first three turns then get as much as they can back to the RR wall & the factories.

JR

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Commitsars: I have at start in my rulebook, but truth be told, I stopped keeping up with errata a long time ago. (and didn't read down to the OB caveat either. Given the quietness of that area and the 3 MMC he rallied during the scenario, fortunately out had little effect. A.2!)

OBA: again with the errata caveat, my RB says base level or blast height. From his his Observers location, he could see the roof level. This was clearly an Omniscient Player move, but whatcha gonna do? Also, while Ralph's DR were at times (EXC: OBA DR) terrible, his chit draws were uncannily Evil-he never drew a red card. And yeah, I swapped out my offending dice several times.
Tramvanaya/F27/8: actually that was my intent, but I changed it up at the last moment. Given my wire placement bracketing the nose of the rubble field, it was ideal. <shrug>
Rooftops: I left them clear not wanting to give Stukas any excuse for an attack. I'm still gun shy from the First Bid apparently.

I think your defensive premises are spot on: it was my thought as well.

I think the German attack requires a bit more sophistication due to the assets they possess and the obstacles they face. Clearly they need to threaten attempting both possible objectives to prevent the Russians from selling out for one or the other.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Commitsars: I have at start in my rulebook, but truth be told, I stopped keeping up with errata a long time ago. (and didn't read down to the OB caveat either. Given the quietness of that area and the 3 MMC he rallied during the scenario, fortunately out had little effect. A.2!)
The rule says "at start", but if you read the thread the question is, is it the force at start or the OB at start, i.e. all forces whether they start the scenario on board or appear as reinforcements. I was inclined to the former when I asked, but then was convinced that the latter is probably what was meant.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
OBA: again with the errata caveat, my RB says base level or blast height. From his his Observers location, he could see the roof level. This was clearly an Omniscient Player move, but whatcha gonna do?
To convert a SR the observer must have LOS 1) to the base of the hex, or 2) to the blast height *and* to "any non-Aerial Location that contains a Known (to him) enemy unit" [C1.332, C1.333]. Having LOS to the blast height without LOS to either the base or to a KEU is not sufficient to convert a SR into an FFE. In this scenario that means that the Observer either has to have LOS to a KEU on the rooftop, or has to move either to the D27 building or nearer the J32 building so he has LOS to the first level where there is a KEU, or to the rooftop of the D27 building or much closer to the J32 building where the observer has LOS to ground level of the J32 building. In this scenario it is unlikely that the Soviets are going to have a unit on the rooftop of J32. They may have someone on the first level but you then have to convince that unit to become Known, which will probably won't happen for a couple turns. My original thinking was to use a kill stack also in the D27 building to strip concealment on a unit at level one. The way the scenario played out I went with the third option, which is to move to the rooftop of J32.

The German OBA will take some time to bring down unless it is used to cross the Tramvanaya. Unless the Soviets make it easy the Germans may have to put their observer in some danger on the rooftop of D27 too. Using the OBA in this scenario may not be easy.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Rooftops: I left them clear not wanting to give Stukas any excuse for an attack. I'm still gun shy from the First Bid apparently.
A Stuka won't strip concealment, so a non-moving concealed unit on a rooftop has a straight (no DRM) sighting task check against it. As long as the unit remains concealed the attack will be at halved FP for the MGs and with the +2 concealed TH DRM for the bomb. My thinking was to put a HIP MG on a rooftop and only bring it out if German units appeared on the rooftop of the D27 building. That would strip the concealment on the level one-and-one-half rooftop automatically, no concealment loss (except momentary to prove a real unit) necessary.

Having a rooftop unit is only one idea. The Soviets could always just attack the concealed observer on the rooftop too. Any attack directed by the 9-2 leader ought to strip concealment. Of course this opens up the possibility that the Germans will move a dummy to the D27 rooftop, just to mess with the Soviets.

JR

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Stuka won't strip concealment, so a non-moving concealed unit on a rooftop has a straight (no DRM) sighting task check against it. As long as the unit remains concealed the attack will be at halved FP for the MGs and with the +2 concealed TH DRM for the bomb. My thinking was to put a HIP MG on a rooftop and only bring it out if German units appeared on the rooftop of the D27 building. That would strip the concealment on the level one-and-one-half rooftop automatically, no concealment loss (except momentary to prove a real unit) necessary.

Having a rooftop unit is only one idea. The Soviets could always just attack the concealed observer on the rooftop too. Any attack directed by the 9-2 leader ought to strip concealment. Of course this opens up the possibility that the Germans will move a dummy to the D27 rooftop, just to mess with the Soviets.

JR
When you and I played Turning off the Spigot, lo these many years past, the first thing I did as the American ATTACKER, was to roll up Heavy Wind. No SMOKE for me. I was on the verge, once, of pulling off a rare MARINE win in Chesty's Turn going into the last turn having set up a veritable gauntlet the Japanese would likely not survive...until I rolled a ZERO NVR, which, of course the gleeful IJA paraded through en route to a win.

The dice are firmly worming in my head.

I could just see a catastrophic bomb result (I dodged a much harder sighting TC/TH one as it was in this game, passing a 3MC, IIRC) causing a raging inferno or multiple rubble creation or pink rabbits...so, yeah I had thought about it but didn't. If the Russians could deploy...

As for the OBA, yeah "...AND..." missed that. Mea culpa, I've been away far too long and it shows. I never thought the OBA rules were too odious, but like much anything else, if you don't keep it fresh, it moulders, like my brain, apparently. Hurt only myself, unless we want to consider giving Ralph the wrong ideas on OBA. Thinking now would be a good time to start the occasional rules reread~

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I could just see a catastrophic bomb result (I dodged a much harder sighting TC/TH one as it was in this game, passing a 3MC, IIRC) causing a raging inferno or multiple rubble creation or pink rabbits...so, yeah I had thought about it but didn't. If the Russians could deploy...
The German OBA is, IMHO, important enough that I am willing to sacrifice a unit for shots on the observer. A blaze in the factory would probably be a good thing from the Soviet perspective. Rubble I think also would be good as it would block LOS through the factory and make moving through it more difficult. Pink rabbits? Use a commissar to turn them fully red, give them rifles off the dead and put them on the firing line.

As for the OBA, yeah "...AND..." missed that. Mea culpa, I've been away far too long and it shows. I never thought the OBA rules were too odious, but like much anything else, if you don't keep it fresh, it moulders, like my brain, apparently. Hurt only myself, unless we want to consider giving Ralph the wrong ideas on OBA. Thinking now would be a good time to start the occasional rules reread~
The reason I wanted to point it out is that it sounded like you played it wrong, and I didn't want anyone else getting bad ideas. Personally I pull out the OBA flowchart when things start to get a bit gnarly. The SR can be placed without LOS to ground and without LOS to a KEU. The FFE can't be converted, however, until one of those two conditions is met.

JR

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought

JR
The German OBA is, IMHO, important enough that I am willing to sacrifice a unit for shots on the observer. A blaze in the factory would probably be a good thing from the Soviet perspective. Rubble I think also would be good as it would block LOS through the factory and make moving through it more difficult. Pink rabbits? Use a commissar to turn them fully red, give them rifles off the dead and put them on the firing line.

The reason I wanted to point it out is that it sounded like you played it wrong, and I didn't want anyone else getting bad ideas. Personally I pull out the OBA flowchart when things start to get a bit gnarly. The SR can be placed without LOS to ground and without LOS to a KEU. The FFE can't be converted, however, until one of those two conditions is met.

JR
I thought everybody loses ? when they see each other on rooftops.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks. Duh didn't read very well...forgot he's on level 21/2.
Yes, the Soviet has building height superiority, probably throughout the game or at least until near the end. They should be able to make it difficult for the Germans to use the D27 rooftops, which in turn will affect the German's use of the OBA module.

JR