Blocked LOS to SR by SMOKE question

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hello

I have a question concerning LOS to a SR.

Consider this rule:

1.335. Disregarding SMOKE, if he currently has no LOS to the SR's or FFE's Blast Height nor to any non-Aerial Location in/adjacent-to the SR's hex that contains a Known (to him) enemy unit, he must Correct (1.4) or Cancel (as per 1.336-.337) that SR or FFE; or

I understand this rule to be that you may ignore SMOKE when checking if the observer has LOS to a SR or a FFE. Is this correct?

If this is correct, I don't understand this:
In the OBA flowchart for SR's there is a box early in the SR path that asks if the observer has LOS to the SR.

This box does not differ wheter the LOS is blocked by SMOKE or not.
But, in the FFE path, you may ignore SMOKE when checking for LOS to the FFE.

May someone help me to understand this better? It appear to me to be an inconsistence between the rules and the flowchart regarding the SR LOS when SMOKE blocks the LOS.

Bjørnar

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Check C1.331 which is "If he currently has an LOS to the SR or FFE Blast Height, he may leave that SR in place or Correct that SR or FFE..."

This is just asking if there is an los to Blast Height & what one can do if there is. It's this that the box in SR chart is about.

C1.335 is saying what must happen if there is no LOS to SR;Whether there is SMOKE in the way or not. True this is not in OBA SR chart; its been left out.

But I think if SMOKE blocks the LOS to an SR then cases C1.331/C1.332/C1.333 cannot apply.

However you MUST correct an SR only if there is no LOS to SR; and only now can you disregard SMOKE.

IOW its ONLY in case C1.335 that the SMOKE is disregarded i.e. ONLY if checking to see if the SR MUST be corrected; can you disregard SMOKE.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the "ignore smoke" portion of the OBA rules is to ignore smoke from the observer's SMOKE FFE - i.e. not any smoke, but your OBA smoke. Given that context it would make sense that the clause is not there for a SR, as obviously there's no SMOKE FFE around, but is a valid clause in the FFE path.

'Course I'm NRBH so I'm going off memory, but I distinctly recall being surprised recently that the SMOKE clause was explicit solely to your SMOKE FFE and not a general exemption on all smoke, which is often what's implied by ASLers...

Bret Hildebran
damavs@alltel.net
www.aslok.org

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

Thanks for answer. I agree, but find the rule still somewhat unclear written.

Bjørnar

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bjoernar said:
Hi

Thanks for answer. I agree, but find the rule still somewhat unclear written.

Bjørnar
The rules are unclear even to those of use who use English as our native language. :eek:

The Flowchart for OBA is much easier to use and clears up alot of the confusion.

Sam