Block a forum?

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it possible to block a whole forum so that I don’t have to see posts made there?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not that I know of. Before becoming a mod and thus having to check everything (spam, ongoing rows, etc), I typically went into those threads, marked those as read and only then went into "New posts". The previous GS software version used to allow me to double click on a thread from outside the thread, but that changed.

While you can make individual users automaticly "disappear", there does not to be anyway to "Ignore" whole threads.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not that I know of. Before becoming a mod and thus having to check everything (spam, ongoing rows, etc), I typically went into those threads, marked those as read and only then went into "New posts". The previous GS software version used to allow me to double click on a thread from outside the thread, but that changed.

While you can make individual users automaticly "disappear", there does not to be anyway to "Ignore" whole threads.
Too bad, as I’m really getting tired of seeing all the political threads.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Depending on what sub-forum you primarily visit, you can bookmark that section. May or may not help your particular situation.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to block the political forum using the old software. Guess they removed the functionality.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Maybe tackle it from another direction. Let's say you are interested only in ASL, then use the "Watch" feature to flag that forum and do the same for its sub-fora. Then rather than using the "New posts" to find new posts use the "Watched". It would though be a bit of a pain to set up the "Watch" for each sub-forum. I have never used the "Watch" feature, so I don't know if that would meet your needs.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have a Watch on the ASL Forum, so I can get to any sub-forum quickly when I want, but I use the Notifications feature the most to quickly get to watched threads. Second most used method for me is the New Posts feature. If it gets cluttered with non-ASL stuff, I go to that forum, like Politics, and click the Mark Read button. I even do that for ASL topics that don't interest me like Starter Kit. Note that the Mark Forums Read button does EVERY forum.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
<shrug> Don't open'em?

Works for me.
That reminds me that for one curious reason I did not want to go into the CH sub-forum. Originally I could double click on the forum and that marked it read. In the last couple of the forum SW versions my method was to read what I wanted from the "New posts" then afterwards within "New posts" mark forums read.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only get email notifications of new posts for the first post since my last time I opened that particular thread. Don't go back and re-open the thread, and no more annoying email notifications will arrive, and you can delete the only one you had received. In the "notifications" bell, I just open and then ignore anything I do not wish to re-visit or read. The Forum software resets the "bell" notification counter every time I enter the main forum at any thread or board location.

I do not get any notifications about any thread posting that is on a thread I have never opened.

I agree with Jazz - don't open them and they are easy to ignore without any special tweaking of the forum software to do so.