Blaze in Grain

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a grain hex is burning, is the los hindrance +2 for the blaze or +3 for grain and blaze?
I can't find anywhere that says the original hindrance is removed when its on fire, although I suspect it is.
Thanks!

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terrain blaze applies and replaces the grain hindrance in that one hex.
Do you have a rules reference? A burning wreck replaces the wreck hindrance, but B25.3 says fire does not modify a hex's TEM except as outlined above for it's attendant smoke effect.

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you have a rules reference? A burning wreck replaces the wreck hindrance, but B25.3 says fire does not modify a hex's TEM except as outlined above for it's attendant smoke effect.
Right, Grain has no TEM, it's only a hindrance.
Boy, now I'm not sure. Digging in now....

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right, Grain has no TEM, it's only a hindrance.
Boy, now I'm not sure. Digging in now....
True, but it also doesn't say that hindrances are negated by having a blaze in the hex. That only applies to AFV wrecks.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to see I am not the only one unsure.
Sorry about the initial error in smoke hindrance. I was fixated on wrecks as the closest example.
So, +3 or +4?

jcferrell

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I think A24.2 might answer the question:

"All Direct Fire and on-board mortar fire traced into, through, within, or out of (see 24.8) a SMOKE Location is affected by a Hindrance DRM of +1, +2, or +3 depending upon the type of SMOKE, in addition to any normal TEM/LOS Hindrance effects of that hex."

Based on this rule, I think the smoke hindrance from the blaze would be cumulative with the grain hindrance.

Also, the fact that the rule explicitly states wreck blazes replace the wreck hindrance, but does not address terrain blazes, indicates terrain hindrances should not be replaced by the smoke hindrance. "The expression of one implies the exclusion of the other."