Blaze and pinned unit

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
AFPh, blaze spreads to adjacent hex that contains a pinned squad. Unit voluntary breaks in RtPh. Rout to adjacent hex as withdrawing from melee.

Do I have that right?
If a blaze spreads to an adjacent location, it should spread as a flame that can't be converted to a blaze that turn. See the last sentence of B25.62. Only a flame in a location can turn into a terrain blaze in that location [EXC: falling rubble, which usually is bad in its own way].

As a minor note for your next question, if a blaze spreads one turn but the flame fails to convert, in the next turn the blaze may spread a second time, creating two flames in the location.

JR

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a blaze spreads to an adjacent location, it should spread as a flame that can't be converted to a blaze that turn. See the last sentence of B25.62. Only a flame in a location can turn into a terrain blaze in that location [EXC: falling rubble, which usually is bad in its own way].

As a minor note for your next question, if a blaze spreads one turn but the flame fails to convert, in the next turn the blaze may spread a second time, creating two flames in the location.

JR
There's that reading comprehension thing again.

Thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There's that reading comprehension thing again.
It's pretty easy to read B25.6 and assume that the blaze spreads as a blaze. Putting the fact that blazes spread as flame in the last sentence of B25.62, after two sentences of minor details, is perhaps not the optimal placement. But that's our rulebook, and that's why we love it so. Although after a while you might get curious about what those flame counters are for.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our game today, we had a flame go out. Now I ruled that the Adjacent Blaze still tries to place a Flame in the same hex, and did so in this instance. Tim

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Though the OP had this incorrect, had a unit been pinned after a flame really did become a blaze, it would be eliminated.

I had this correct up above, but then let the EXCeption in B25.4 spin my thinking around two or three times.:confused: [hence several edits and now this re-post]

There is an "expired" Q&A on this and though old, I think its reasoning is now reflected in the 2nd Ed. RB.

Old Q& A:

B25.4 Why must a berserk/heroic unit die in a Blaze if it is unable to exit the Location prior to the RtPh?​

A. If caught in a Blaze during the RtPh, a unit that cannot break voluntarily (A10.41) may be moved at that time by its owner into an Accessible Location just as if it were Withdrawing from Melee (A11.2-.21). A berserk unit may be moved thusly even though it is not normally allowed to Withdraw from Melee, but any unit that is pinned or actually in Melee may not (even if berserk). Since this occurs in the RtPh, such units are vulnerable to Interdiction (as well as minefield/OBA attack) and ATTACKER units must still be moved first. [An90; An95w; An96; Mw]​

Current RB:

B25.4 A non-pinned unit that cannot break voluntarily (A10.41) may move during its RtPh into an Accessible Location just as if it were Withdrawing from Melee (A11.2-.21) even if berserk. [EXC: units in Melee/pinned may not leave during the RtPh and are eliminated].​

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My reading comprehension at 64 is not what it was at 24. Anyway, once I get those probiotics my brain fog will clear. Maybe. Tim