Blank Board

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
is there anyway to take the blank board and edit it to make custom boards? Any overlay types that create full hexes of woods and such?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A vasl "board" is actually a .zip file that contains, primarily, a .gif image file. If you are using windows, add .zip to the filename, then unzip it. You can use any raster graphics program you like. That is probably the hardest way to go. There are also commercial programs (hexdraw) that give you a library of shapes and textures to help you. You can also use a vector draw program like inkscape, then convert the vector image into a .gif. I did that when we were playtesting Kampfgruppe Scherer. If you search around on gamesquad you will find lots of discussion on how to create your own maps. Try to find Tom Repetti's articles on creating maps for vasl, among other things.

JR

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
so if I export the images to my paint program I can copy and paste
bits and pieces and then resave the image?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
so if I export the images to my paint program I can copy and paste
bits and pieces and then resave the image?
Sure. You will have to reassemble the .zip file (and remove the .zip extension if you added it because you are using windows) to get vasl to recognize the new map. There are a large number of other things you might also do (terrain overlays, LOS files), but the heart of the process is to create a .gif file and wrap it in a .zip file.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States