Black Barricades round two.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Setting up for Black Barricades round two. The first CG got scrapped because I had to make room for creating the final Iwo Jima map. But now that is finished I can go back to the (hypothetical) industrial heart of Berlin in Autumn '45 (or '46) for the last battle between the Russians and the SS. Played on the RB map and using the RB structure and rules the 6th SS Panzer Armee defends Berlin against the late war and pissed off Russians.

There are Tiger II's, Panthers, JSIII's and even a possible Maus or two crawling through the ruins of the RB map. The Russians have Sturmoviks with rockets, tons of leaders and are on the attack!

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpuTyF2j.jpg

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russians have had some demon luck in this first CG scenario. They scored two CH with their ISII 120mm guns - eliminating two 548 and a 9-1. This helped them break into their first fortified building. Just behind the building was a dug-in Tiger I. This has just been dispatched by a bomb from a FB. :D

Great fun!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp6NAafw.jpg

The Russians are in the F5 building, they are about the enter the C13 building and they have a T34/M43FT tank (counter courtesy of HoB) in the stockyard rolling snakes at flat 16FP shots. Not doing too bad. It is turn 4. The Germans are about to DF. There is a HIP dug-in Tiger I tank in the rubble in J5. He has plenty of targets, but if he reveals the FB will be onto him next PT. There is already a Tiger wreck in the rubble in G6 under the sniper counter.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Really enjoying Black Barricades. It is up to the 4th CG date and 3rd played scenario. There was one idle day. The troop numbers jumped up thanks to the idle. Russians about 70 squads and Germans about 60. They have both bought Gun RG and the Russians have had a JSII platoon withdrawn. They bought a JSIIM platoon on the second day but two of those were destroyed by CHs. One with a PF and one by OBA. So there is only one JSIIM left on board. Also 2 T34M43 and 4 T34/85 - both have a FT tank amongst them.
The SS are proving a tough nut to crack vs the Russian hoards. They have plenty of high ROF weapons (including three 88L AA Guns) and they can really shoot up the attackers. The dice went crazy in the second scenario and I had to let the Russians off a couple of shots otherwise there would be none left - or so I thought. In the end they won the scenario and so I'm thinking I was overreacting to the dice. The trouble with solo play.
varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp1Buzpf.jpg

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Another image of the battlefield.
varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpWZkHln.jpg

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
CH's Hitler Youth have joined the battle. I will also be using their Gestapo counters and Russian Liberated Prisoners.....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It is October 21st in 1945, the setting is Berlin. The Russian army is attacking a factory complex held by the 6th SS Panzer Army. Hypothetical of course. This is BLACK BARRICADES; my hypothetical CG using the RB map and CG rules. Its the 5th CG date.
The Germans have an assortment of units on board. 2x 88L AA Guns, a 88LL AT Gun, a 75L AT Gun in a fortified upper level location. 3x Dug In Panthers, a Dug In Tiger I, a Dug In Panzer IVJ. About 60 squads including Green SS (from BFP) and Hitler Youth (from CH) and 10-1, 9-0 and 7-1 leaders (from BFP).
The Russians have about 80 squads and 2x 76L Art Guns, a 152 Art Gun, 3x lend lease M4/76L Shermans and 3x ISU-122 SPG.
So far this home grown CG has been tremendous fun. It fulfills my dream of playing late war SS vs Russians in an INDUSTRIAL setting.

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpOk9Jhg.jpg

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So the fifth CG date has finished. There have been four scenarios played so far and one idle day. The Russians have won two scenarios and lost two and have only secured the north west corner of the map. They only control 11 factory locations.
The Russians have about 60 SE at the end of this day. The Germans have about 40 SE. About half of the Germans are Hitler Youth. There are numerous BFP SS 437 squads too. They only have 10 squads with 8 morale. However they are bristling with SW. 6x HMG, 5x MMG, 5x LMG, 6x 50* MTR, 2x PSK. They also have 4 dug in tanks - three Panthers and one Tiger I. Plus 3x 88mm (AA & AT) Guns although one of them has no crew.
Both sides are going idle next scenario in order to build up there forces. Both sides will purchase an engineer coy in reserve. On the 23rd when the fighting resumes both sides will purchase another two infantry coy and so the squad totals will go up to 70 SE for the Germans and 90 SE for the Russian.
The Russians also have 3x ISU122 and 2x M4/76 AFV and 2x 76L ART and one 152 ART Guns. It is great fun playing with such a varied OOB. The CH Hitler Youth, Gestapo and Russian Liberated Prisoner counters add flavour. The BFP 10-1, 10-0, 9-0 and 7-1 Russian and SS Leaders and the green SS squads and 2nd line Russian squads add even more flavour. The counter mix is full of HOB, CH, BFP, MMP counters.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russians had a couple of crappy refit phases. First of all they only received 14 and 15 CPP while the Germans received 15 and 18. Their 120mm OBA had scarce ammo. Their leader rolls for the infantry coy were lower than average and to top it all off the weather finally turned clear (and gusty) giving them the hope they could use their Smoke, but then the wind strength dr caused Heavy Winds.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How have you been determining which days are idle. To avoid the all Knowing player, I hope that you are putting the two chit in a back and randomly selecting them. Or some other modified method for example because the Russians are predominately attacking have them roll a single dice with 1-5 attack and a 6 idle and something similar for the Germans

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi There,
I'm afraid I don't use any method as such. Just decide when the Russians go idle according to how many units they have left and what they require to buy. After two CG dates the Russians are getting pretty thin on the ground and the ELR becomes liable to start dropping. Maybe later on in the CG they will push harder and go on the attack for longer but at the moment they are building up their force and taking their time.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A gyrostabilised Russian M4/76 just won a gun duel vs a dug in Panzer VIE(L). The M4 went around the side of the Tiger and bogged on a trench, it survived several squad attempts to find a faust (two pinned) and a shot by the Tiger while it was still in its CA. The Tiger rolled a 9 vs the moving target and missed by 1 pip.
The M4 found it had APCR and managed to hit the turret of the hull down Tiger to flame it. The Tiger was trying to change its CA to face the M4 and fire its CMG or intensive fire - since it had already fired and missed.
varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpdoSuT2.jpg

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just realised that the Gun Duel was illegal because once a vehicle bogs it's movement phase ends immediately. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Since it was the last action I did before posting I felt I could go back and undo the situation. The Tiger is still in the game. It the DFPh it final fired (intensive) and eliminated the Sherman. The Russians are going to have to find another way of dealing with the beast.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Battle Of The Twin Dug-In Tanks!

The Germans have two dug in tanks near the factory complex on the RB map. Last CG scenario I thought I had eliminated the Tiger in a Gun Duel with a gyrostabilised M4 - but I got the rules wrong and the result was void. The Panther was subject to numerous Fighter Bomber attacks but he somehow survived.
At the end of the last scenario the Russian front line was pressed right up next to both tanks. The Russians even got into CC with the Tige...r, but were eventually blown away by an amazing sN roll.
So in the refit phase the Russians planned the elimination of both tanks. They would set up concealed infantry with FTs and DCs adjacent to them and try and eliminate then on the first prep fire phase.
However the Germans had other plans. They declared a Duel Attack scenario! The Russians were forced to set up first, and then got delegated to moving second.
In the German initial prep fire there was a lot of effort to brush away the Russian infantry from adjacent to the tanks. One FT squad was KIA from the Panther's CH, and another FT squad next to the tiger was broken by the flat 16FP of its 88 Gun.
However despite heavy mortar and MG fire two DC wielding squads hung on, one next to each tank. The defensive fire phase was here. The first DC toting squad threw his DC at the Panther. He rolled a 5 but it was not enough for an optimally positioned DC because it was thrown through the front hull facing. The DC hit the front hull and was ineffective. The next squad with the DC threw his at the Tiger - he rolled a 7 and had to be content with the Tigers rear hull AF. The effects DR was a kill! One beast eliminated.
The next shot at the Panther was from a ISU-122 which was lurking nearby. The ISU rolled a 6 TH with a 1 on the coloured dr. Turret hit! The modifers were +4...but he hit the front turret. The effects DR was a 6 and the Panther was eliminated too.

FINALLY! The Russians finally had some good rolls and laid these two beasts to rest.

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpMmxAfT.jpg

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is a fantastic game idea..................roll out the JSIII'S they need to have fun too:)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
JSIII's and Maus are both available.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Chaos erupted on the east bank of the Spree as the Russians try to break through the front line. Meanwhile in the Berlin factories a stalemate has developed.

The JSIII and Maus RG are being saved till the right moment. The Russian has 6x JSIII available while the German has 2x Maus.

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpc7t2Zp.jpg

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp9ot6nF.jpg

Last edited: