Black Bar in Factory Prevent Blaze Spread?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"B25.6 SPREADING FIRE: Every Player Turn after the first Player Turn in which it appears, a Blaze may spread to any adjacent Burnable Terrain Location (including from the ground floor of a Factory hex to its Rooftop Location, or to Burnable Terrain in the same Location in the case of a Burning Wreck) at the end of each AFPh."
And in the index, "adjacent (hexes are considered ADJACENT IF they share a common Hexside): A.8"
Also as noted "A.8 ADJACENT: Hexes (and the units inside them) are "adjacent" if they share a common hexside. Locations (and the units in them) are considered "ADJACENT" only if there is a LOS (excluding SMOKE Hindrance DRM and NVR —E1.101) between the two Locations and a player could conceivably move a hypothetical Infantry unit from that Location into the adjacent Location in question during the APh, ignoring any enemy presence. The word "ADJACENT" will be printed in all CAPITAL letters when this added restriction is necessary so as to differentiate from the more common usage with lower case letters."

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You don't need a rule reference saying they don't prevent spreading. They don't prevent spreading because there is no rule saying they do.
You could say that for about any terrain, so I don't think that your path of reasoning is correct.
B25.6 says that a Blaze may spread to "adjacent Burnable Terrain" : the black bar won't stop spreading.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You could say that for about any terrain, so I don't think that your path of reasoning is correct.
Then I am probably not being clear enough.

The "base" spreading rule is pretty much that no terrain prevents spreading. I.e., for an Interior Wall to NOT prevent spreading there does not need to be any rule saying that - it is alreadt in the "base rule.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The "base" spreading rule is pretty much that no terrain prevents spreading. I.e., for an Interior Wall to NOT prevent spreading there does not need to be any rule saying that - it is alreadt in the "base rule.
This leads to the conclusion that fire can spread across a hexside water obstacle and up/down a cliff. I have no problem with any of these. It would probably be a fairly rare hexside black bar wall that was truly fireproof. Most would have spaces between floors and/or through vents and/or across the attic and/or would be subject to breaching by falling, possibly flaming debris.

JR

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This leads to the conclusion that fire can spread across a hexside water obstacle and up/down a cliff. I have no problem with any of these. It would probably be a fairly rare hexside black bar wall that was truly fireproof. Most would have spaces between floors and/or through vents and/or across the attic and/or would be subject to breaching by falling, possibly flaming debris.

JR
What brought up the question was a factory wall in RB. But since the black bar rules refer to rowhouses, and having lived in one of those in N. America, they are fairly fireproof being made of concrete, but a fire *could* still spread via the roofs of a rowhouse or even by conduction through the concrete wall if it gets hot enough. You can choose a realism argument to suit your preferences. But I prefer to play by the rules as written!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think that is what B25.6 says (barring any exceptions [I'll admit have not searched for any]):
"...a Blaze may spread to any adjacent Burnable Terrain Location (including from the ground floor of a Factory hex to its Rooftop Location, or to Burnable Terrain in the same Location in the case of a Burning Wreck)..."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What brought up the question was a factory wall in RB. But since the black bar rules refer to rowhouses, and having lived in one of those in N. America, they are fairly fireproof being made of concrete, but a fire *could* still spread via the roofs of a rowhouse or even by conduction through the concrete wall if it gets hot enough. You can choose a realism argument to suit your preferences. But I prefer to play by the rules as written!
As I said, if they are made to (current, up-to-date) code they are fairly (but not entirely) fireproof. Codes were probably not as stringent at the time, and there are probably no fire codes of that kind in a factory. Also as wikipedia has it, "A firewall is a fire-resistant barrier used to prevent the spread of fire for a prescribed period of time." Note the caveat. A firewall will typically slow the spread of fire. Only very exceptional walls will stop it. So perhaps some black bars might be DRMs to spreading DRs, but typically they would not prevent spread entirely.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What stuff is code made of?
Maybe codeine? :D

But seriously, the question is whether ASL factory interior walls are supposed to represent fire-walls or just walls that seperates the factory hall into sections. I don't think that ASL factory interior roles are intended to be keyed to any specific role. As such - in agreement with the standard rules on spreading fire - I would not treat them in any special manner.

von Marwitz

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I said, if they are made to (current, up-to-date) code they are fairly (but not entirely) fireproof. Codes were probably not as stringent at the time, and there are probably no fire codes of that kind in a factory. Also as wikipedia has it, "A firewall is a fire-resistant barrier used to prevent the spread of fire for a prescribed period of time." Note the caveat. A firewall will typically slow the spread of fire. Only very exceptional walls will stop it. So perhaps some black bars might be DRMs to spreading DRs, but typically they would not prevent spread entirely.

JR
The rowhouse rules don't mention anything about the construction of the black bar. The black bar simply indicates that there is no direct entry from one rowhouse to the other. Anything else is an assumption. Since there is no specific exception(s) noted for the black bar vs blaze spread, there isn't any.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
This leads to the conclusion that fire can spread across a hexside water obstacle and up/down a cliff.
I believe that the "directly attached" Spread DRM makes the difference when a non burnable terrain hexside separates the blase from an adjacent, burnable terrain.