Bitter Ender 2023 April 13th-16th

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bitter Ender is underway with 38 in the main tournament and 2 playing a large "Manila" scenario. Results of Round One later in the day. Most played a warmup game yesterday.
Good luck, good gunnin and a good time to all participants!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round Two sees the following pair-ups:
N.Stanhagen vs Weneger
Ginnard vs. Daughety
Flanagan vs. Cirillo
Cvetinovich vs. Payne
Boro vs. Stephens
Graham vs. Chamness
Hanson vs. D.Stanhagen
Arnold vs. Peatman
Fritz Jr. vs. Plott

Veterans of the forerunner to the Bitter Ender, Winds of War, are the two Stanhagans and David Stephens. Mini tournaments start tomorrow. "Sternebeck's Sortie" had no German wins. To quote Curt Schilling (surprise guest at the B.E.) who offered some solutions which I will send to our "Bunker" friends, "insanely unbalanced."

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Bitter Ender has wrapped up. The final Main Event/Grognard winner was this rather unknown ASL player, Bill Cirillo who beat this other unknown ASL Player, Neil Stanhagen :). I had to leave early so full details won't be available until tomorrow other than the Sportsmanship award going to Alan "Airborne" Saltzman. A mysterious black binder has been left behind with Chapter E and H notes and is now secured like those recently released Pentagon briefings. BTW, It was not Hunter Biden's, if you all are wondering.

Last edited:

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Bitter Ender has wrapped up. The final Main Event/Grognard winner was this rather unknown ASL player, Bill Cirillo who beat this other unknown ASL Player, Neil Stanhagen :). I had to leave early so full details won't be available until tomorrow other than the Sportsmanship award going to Alan "Airborne" Saltzman. A mysterious black binder has been left behind with Chapter E and H notes and is now secured like those recently released Pentagon briefings. BTW, It was not Hunter Biden's, if you all are wondering.
Ray- Many thanks to you and Alan (et al) for putting together a truly outstanding event! In my limited ASL experience (just a few events, but have attended ASLOK and WO), it's obvious that dedicated folks can host a high-quality tournament! Can't wait to participate in next year's Bitter Ender! Well Done!

Jon P (aka "Cannon Fodder") (aaka "The Rabbi" in certain circles)

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just crawled out of bed after a grueling 9.5 hour trip back from Raleigh in heavy rain. My second Bitter Ender was equally enjoyable as my first, last year. I want to thank my opponents, Doug Sheppard, Alan Saltzman, Ken Daughty, Gary Bartlett, and Dave Reenstra. All great players and most enjoyable games. I want to thank Ray Wolozsyn and crew for a well run event and a great scenario list. An extra special shout out to Ken Daughty (my Raleigh, NC host) for the great company and knocking me out of the main with his 2AM hotter than hot dice. And a special and heartfelt nod to my Indianapolis brother, bartender, roommate, and long standing friend, Tom Cvetinovich, for making the weekend more than just another ASL gathering. Another winning record but more importantly, another weekend of socializing with the greatest group of friends ever. Thanks to all, new friends and old for making an old guy feel young again. See you again next year (hopefully) as like so many others a new venue will be needed. Scenarios played: Hell's Highway, Ace in the Hole, Acts of Defiance, Autumn Approach, and Sternbeck's Sortie. I totally agree with Curt that Sternbeck's is a insanely unbalance scenario. See you all at ASLOK.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just crawled out of bed after a grueling 9.5 hour trip back from Raleigh in heavy rain. My second Bitter Ender was equally enjoyable as my first, last year. I want to thank my opponents, Doug Sheppard, Alan Saltzman, Ken Daughty, Gary Bartlett, and Dave Reenstra. All great players and most enjoyable games. I want to thank Ray Wolozsyn and crew for a well run event and a great scenario list. An extra special shout out to Ken Daughty (my Raleigh, NC host) for the great company and knocking me out of the main with his 2AM hotter than hot dice. And a special and heartfelt nod to my Indianapolis brother, bartender, roommate, and long standing friend, Tom Cvetinovich, for making the weekend more than just another ASL gathering. Another winning record but more importantly, another weekend of socializing with the greatest group of friends ever. Thanks to all, new friends and old for making an old guy feel young again. See you again next year (hopefully) as like so many others a new venue will be needed. Scenarios played: Hell's Highway, Ace in the Hole, Acts of Defiance, Autumn Approach, and Sternbeck's Sortie. I totally agree with Curt that Sternbeck's is a insanely unbalance scenario. See you all at ASLOK.
Glad you made it back safely.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The following is a wrap-up of the April 2023 “Bitter Ender” held in Raleigh, North Carolina. The final for the main event featured the 2019 winner, Bill Cirillo, besting Neil Stanhagen. The Sportsmanship award went to Alan Saltzman whose contributions to the North Carolina ASL scene were recognized by the thirty-nine participants. MMP was represented by Kurt Schilling and Scott Blanton. Scott noted that many of the participants took advantage of the 10% off certificate to equip themselves at his Gamer’s’ Armory store in nearby Cary.

Winners of the six mini-tournaments were Paul Sidhu (Korea), Ken Joyner (Operation Citadel), Scott Hasson (Pacific), Ed Fritz Jr. (Desert), Walt Mcwilliams (Recon) and Scott Blanton (Poland).

Because the hotel that has been our venue for many years has recently been bought by North Carolina State University, the 2024 “Bitter Ender” may have to be held at another location pending the university’s plans for this facility.

Last edited:

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
The following is a wrap-up of the April 2023 “Bitter Ender” held in Raleigh, North Carolina. The final for the main event featured the 2019 winner, Bill Cirillo, besting Neil Stanhagen. The Sportsmanship award went to Alan Saltzman whose contributions to the North Carolina ASL scene were recognized by the thirty-nine participants. MMP was represented by Kurt Schilling and Scott Blanton. Scott noted that many of the participants took advantage of the 10% off certificate to equip themselves at his Gamer’s’ Armory store in nearby Cary.

Winners of the six mini-tournaments were Paul Sidhu (Korea), Ken Joyner (Operation Citadel), Scott Hasson (Pacific), Ed Fritz Jr. (Desert) and Scott Blanton (Poland).

Because the hotel that has been our venue for many years has recently been bought by North Carolina State University, the 2024 “Bitter Ender” may have to be held at another location pending the university’s plans for this facility.
Two ASL tournaments in two consecutive months in my home state of NC! Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina! Again, many thanks to Ray, Alan, et al for a great event!!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps the university should consider the building to be the housing for an intense study of WWII infantry and armor tactics as exemplified in, picking randomly, ASL.
More likely aditional animal pens since it is right next to the College of Veterinary Medicine.