Bishop Pointers - A Series of Short Articles on Variety of ASL Topics

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
FWIW, even though Jim is banned, he can still browse the forums.
I did not realize he wuz banned?

When he is curious about anything happening here he asks me about it....the fellowship of former moderators and all....

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have mixed results, in encounters with Chihuahuas. Some like me, some are nervous around me and one or two go full pyschotic
mode at me.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my niece's chihuahuas is called "Devil Dog". Thinks it's a rottweiller.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree completely. As a master of the run-on sentence I speak from unfortunate experience.

Novel writing instructors will tell you that you have to be prepared to "kill your darlings" which means no matter how in love you are with something you've written, you should always be prepared to sacrifice it in the name of clarity. If you're confusing or otherwise actively turning off the audience, the writer has to sacrifice their self image for the needs of the reader.
I've certainly had to do this with SSRs on many occasions.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my niece's chihuahuas is called "Devil Dog". Thinks it's a rottweiller.
If Stanley meets a big dog it’s like tail straight up and “Stop That!...Get Away From Him! Stop Running ! DONT YOU EVEN FRICKIN LOOK AT ME !” then he acts nonchalant after making a scene, Lol. He actually gets along very well with most dogs,but ya never know.

On topic: Some solid advice to immediately improve and speed up play is learn to identify the exact midpoint of any ‘hex to hex’ LOS. Take out a string and look at all the three hex and four hex range LOSs from a given hex. Notice the midpoint of most all LOSs is on the center of a hexside. Look at 5 hexs to whatever. Practice until you get good at it, enjoy.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
On topic: Some solid advice to immediately improve and speed up play is learn to identify the exact midpoint of any ‘hex to hex’ LOS. Take out a string and look at all the three hex and four hex range LOSs from a given hex. Notice the midpoint of most all LOSs is on the center of a hexside. Look at 5 hexs to whatever. Practice until you get good at it, enjoy.
Yep.

(Not that I'd manage to do so all the time...)

There is this best ASL article of ALL TIME called "The Geometry of ASL" by David Hailey describing the procedure and more in here:

http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai5_2.pdf

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep.

(Not that I'd manage to do so all the time...)

There is this best ASL article of ALL TIME called "The Geometry of ASL" by David Hailey describing the procedure and more in here:

http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai5_2.pdf

von Marwitz
I noticed this while playing SL, stumbled across it one day and have been refining it ever since.
My feeling is this technique is extremely useful for playing ASL. Without it a player is about 15% blind, so to speak. It is probably the easiest and most important thing I would urge somebody whom wants to get better at ASL to learn.
Read the article but learn it your own way. Take the two LOS hexes and count back toward each other a equal number of hexes, ‘slide’ toward the center and notice the hexside in the middle. Basically count two equivalent patterns of hexes from the two LOS hexes toward the middle.
Ignore at your own peril.
You might feel like I did when it all dawned on me and thought “Why didn’t I notice this years ago ?”

Last edited: