Birthday presents

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice B'Day presents!👍 I was just given a couple of Original WW-II Merrill's Marauders patches from a 98yr old Widow & an original 1st SSF patch and an 8th U.S. Army Air Force patch as well. I'll be putting them on display at our local VFW. Still trying to get a-hold of an original 99th "Vikings" Regimental patch as I know of at least 4 guys in the area that their dad or grand dad was in that unit. I recently put my treasured 106th "Golden Lions" patch there as well (The division was never reformed after being destroyed in the Battle Of The Bulge). Still working on my brother to give up our dad's/grandpa's Sharp's carbine.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the M1 carbine is a real find/treasure.
I think only 700 made. I met a Vietnam vet who has one. It was carried by General Taylor then given to the French after WW2 thereafter it was captured by the Vietcong then it was recaptured by the Americans. It served in three armies. The guy said they used to capture weapons and take down the serial numbers before they turned them over to the South Vietnamese. They got pissed when they would recapture the same weapons like a month or so later, so they started shipping the captured weapons to a secret cave a navy friend had on Okinawa. The rifle made a little tour in each country it fought for.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to ask two questions please.

1. Are those weapons still fully functional and if they are can you buy ammunition for them?

I suspect that you can guess what the next question is 😁

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

1. Are those weapons still fully functional and if they are can you buy ammunition for them?

ammo is available for both as they use the same round. I have one of each though my carbine is not a folding stock. My avatar is me holding my Garand at a rifle range. The clips for the 8 rounds are also still available. But it's very easy to pick them up after firing a clip off.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. M1 Garand used a .30-06 round, and M1 Carbine used a .30 caliber round similar to a pistol round.
(less hitting power in the carbine round, as opposed to the M1 Garand round which was a full-fledged rifle round)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

1. Yes, and yes.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nice rifles. I'm looking for a Garand over here, but it's hard if not impossible to find one in good condition.
Maybe a way could be to get in contact with some US service personnel around here to purchase it in the US, have it shipped to some US base here and then to get a hold on it. I have no idea if this is a viable option (or even allowed in the first place). I reckon, it would be quite some paperwork in any case with the authorities.

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Maybe a way could be to get in contact with some US service personnel around here to purchase it in the US, have it shipped to some US base here and then to get a hold on it. I have no idea if this is a viable option (or even allowed in the first place). I reckon, it would be quite some paperwork in any case with the authorities.

von Marwitz
Can you say: Pain in the a$$?