Birthday presents

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you say: Pain in the a$$?
Michael, You may want to try and contact a U.S. VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) chapter in Germany [I know there are some located over there] and see what is all encompassed in obtaining one thru them if possible. The VFWs can obtain Garands thru U.S. arsenals for use in ceremonies and I believe in some re-enactment groups. Whereas an individual procurement of this weapon may not be possible or very tough to get, perhaps to an organization it would be less restrictive. Just some food for thought though I am in no way subject matter expert in any way. I'd be willing to look through a few of my VFW magazines to see if they have a roster of overseas posts if you're interested in still approaching it from this angle.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for your input. Since we are talking here about real guns i think that this wouldn´t work under German gun laws, which are VERY restrictive. Here you open a can of worms.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your input. Since we are talking here about real guns i think that this wouldn´t work under German gun laws, which are VERY restrictive. Here you open a can of worms.
I thought you guys could have any type of armaments as long as they were in your basement. 😉😉🤣🤣🤣

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Like everything, rifles have inflated in price. I paid $400 for my M-1 Garand, they routinely cost $1000+ now. My K98 was $150 when I got it 25 years ago, the cheapest I've seen in the last year is $700.

Ammo is getting to be upwards of $2.00 a round, and the cheaper surplus stuff dried up. Gotta find a friend who reloads I guess.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
True. Over here, a K98 varies between 300 and 1200 Euros, depending on the condition of the rifle.
A M1 Garand would not go under 2000 Euros, and 30-06 indeed is not cheap (same for 8x57 IS, btw)
Heck, even .308 Win is cracking the 1 Euro per round barrier sooner or later, whereas .223 Rem still is ok.
I´m shooting both calibers but using more the .223 than the .308...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
another option for a display piece, many wartime M1 Garands were, like their M1903A3 predecessors, converted in the 1950s for use as drill/display pieces for use in parades or in drill practice with ROTC units across the U.S.

Those rifles have been certified de-milled and incapable of loading or discharging a live round of ammunition by modifications made at the arsenal level.
As non-functional replicas, they might be a bit (read that VERY slightly), easier to obtain within the boundaries of non-U.S. territories.

There will be a number of difficulties that I believe would require an inordinate amount of time, paperwork, applications and approvals, tax stamps, customs fees, and other various time and monetary delays, to getting a working world war 2 era firearm transferred for non-governmental ownership and use, from a civilian owner to a civilian buyer.

There are some international firearms dealers who do specialize in handling such transactions, and they can do the legwork and paperwork, for a price in their fees, but also provide the service at likely, a better probability for success. I would begin with IMI Industries, and with SAARCO, Inc. They are the two most well known for international functional wartime antique firearm sales to civilians - and both companies hold many international firearm dealership licenses to conduct such business.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Non-functional replicas can be found, I've seen them advertised in many catalogs. {Just can't remember which ones!}

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My wife just made me this table from the gutted remains of our old garden table following an alcohol fuelled (in every sense) incident in the garden with a table top Ethanol burner...
That seems to have been the first reported incident since mid-Pleistocene in which a FT did not X-out on the first shot...

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My FT does not X-out on the first shot. MY opponent's MMCs have asbestos uniforms!