Bill Schleihauf has passed away

Blutarski

Reaction score
I'm very sad to report that my friend Bill Schleihauf, noted RN historian, author, and site-owner of the The Maritime War website

[ http://www.gwpda.org/naval/n0000000.htm ]

passed away last week at much too early an age. Bill was a terrific network engineer, a great drinking buddy, a better friend, and an unimaginably intelligent individual. I will miss him.

Those of you who have not yet visited Bill's website will find it time well spent. It is a treasure trove of material on WW1 naval history.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, that's a shame. My condolences. I drink to his shade :toast:

I didn't know him personally but I corresponded with him a couple times on questions I had during Jutland's development. He and his site were always very helpful to me.

I hope the site remains up--it's a must read for anybody interested in this stuff.

Blutarski

Reaction score
Damn, that's a shame. My condolences. I drink to his shade :toast:

I didn't know him personally but I corresponded with him a couple times on questions I had during Jutland's development. He and his site were always very helpful to me.

I hope the site remains up--it's a must read for anybody interested in this stuff.

.....My favorite recollection of Bill goes back to a weekend get-together aboard the USS Massachusetts in 2004. The curator kindly opened pretty much the entire ship to us, from the shaft alleys to the director tower, including the gun pit of one of the main battery turrets. On the day we went into the turret gun pit, Bill [wisely] showed up for duty in a boiler suit zipped right up to the neck and carrying a flashlight. He then proceeded to slither down the pitch black crawlspace to the local control gun-layer's position in the extreme forward part of the turret. He finally emerged with the biggest s**t-eating grin I've ever seen on anyone's face. That's the way I will remember him.