Biker Chicks tour Chernobyl

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is one of the most interesting set of photos I have seen in a long time. It was taken by a girl on a motorcyle around the area of Chernobyl - now almost completely devoid of human life. Thanks to MonsterZero at WHQ for finding this.

Biking through Chernobyl

EDIT: Looks like the site is now dead. Sad, as it was really a nice survey of the region - now a ghost town.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chernobyl biker

yeah, I think I heard that the area of contamination will be uninhabitable for 80 years or so. Dozens of firefighters died from radiation sickness because they were not provided with protetcive gear (if it existed). This reminds me of another incident in Soviet Central Asia in 1972, I believe. In that incident, there was an accident at an bio-weapons facility, no casualty report ever released, but estimates were in the hundreds, if not thousands. Reportedly, the area was uninhabitable for several years.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by hogdriver
yeah, I think I heard that the area of contamination will be uninhabitable for 80 years or so. Dozens of firefighters died from radiation sickness because they were not provided with protetcive gear (if it existed). This reminds me of another incident in Soviet Central Asia in 1972, I believe. In that incident, there was an accident at an bio-weapons facility, no casualty report ever released, but estimates were in the hundreds, if not thousands. Reportedly, the area was uninhabitable for several years.
I've seen footage of guys out there sifting thru rubble and debris in filter masks....one guy kicks over a dinnerplate sized piece of debris to uncover a glowing chunk of radioactive what-ever!!!! I'm sure those cats are all dead by now....

tsar

Reaction score
Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by Fenrir
I've seen footage of guys out there sifting thru rubble and debris in filter masks....one guy kicks over a dinnerplate sized piece of debris to uncover a glowing chunk of radioactive what-ever!!!! I'm sure those cats are all dead by now....
I don’t know what was glowing but it was probably not radioactive since most radioactive substances don’t glow (contrary to Hollywood imagery).

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by tsar
I don’t know what was glowing but it was probably not radioactive since most radioactive substances don’t glow (contrary to Hollywood imagery).
REALLY? Then what have I just been sold by those Armenians?

Dammit - I've been ripped off!

:D

Dr. S.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Long Island

What would life be like in the US today if the 3 Mile Island incident had been as bad as Chernobyl? opinions?

Mark
Deo Vindice

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The site is expected to be back up in April... It was spooky to say the least. I don't think the magnitude of the accident was really felt in CONUS.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by tsar
it wasn't glowing all bright like some cartoon---it looked more like a red piece of metal ...like it was hot ....like a black smith was going to beat it into horseshoes. the documentary represented it as radioactive material....maybe it was just hot metal covered with radioactive debris....

tsar

Reaction score
Probably was, Radium is the only radioactive metal that glows that I know of. Uranium does not glow at all.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an update, the site is up and all the pictures are there, though sometimes I had to refresh to get it to show the rest of the pictures. Too bad the copters in the motorpool are radiated, I would like to take one.