Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they could have come up with some better division names, they are:

Legends Division and the Leaders Division . TA DA!!!! :crosseye:
:kotz:

The former will feature Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin.
The latter groups Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern.

While the idea might be "nice" I'm completely uninspired by the names: you can't even shorten or abbreviate them to distinguish between them & not have to say the entire word. They need to fire that PR firm. I'd have settled for the mentioned "Rust & Belt" divisions before the "Losers & Losers" divisions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Big-Ten-s-Leaders-Legends-divisions-honor-t?urn=ncaaf-295361

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they could have come up with some better division names, they are:

Legends Division and the Leaders Division . TA DA!!!! :crosseye:
:kotz:

The former will feature Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin.
The latter groups Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern.

While the idea might be "nice" I'm completely uninspired by the names: you can't even shorten or abbreviate them to distinguish between them & not have to say the entire word. They need to fire that PR firm. I'd have settled for the mentioned "Rust & Belt" divisions before the "Losers & Losers" divisions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Big-Ten-s-Leaders-Legends-divisions-honor-t?urn=ncaaf-295361
Have to agree. It was a bit of a head scratcher for this Husker fan as well. Basically, WTF?

How about "We get snow" division and the "We get more snow than you" division or try something really radical like - East Division & West Division or Maybe "The Corn Division" & "Unemployment Division" - Opps, we have Michigan so there goes that! :p

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Delany: Big Ten could revisit division names.
Jim Delany has spent more than two decades as commissioner of the Big Ten, overseeing two conference expansions and the formation of the Big Ten Network.

None of it prepared him for the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the conference’s new division names. ... “But to get a 90 percent non-approval rating was, you know, really surprising.”

What's the most surprising thing about it was that he was surprised. It probably took all those fans just as long as it did me to dislike the names- which was 2 second after I read them.

Something just as silly-

Delany said university faculty, presidents and alumni supported keeping “Big Ten” and that it represents a brand rather than the number of institutions. The name change also would have affected the branding of the Big Ten Network, which launched in 2007.

So even that is not about the facts or the teams, it's as usual about money. :(

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bigten-divisions

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's pretty hard to go with the Ohio State Division and All the Others divisions but that would probably be the best names. The conference has been popularly known as the Big Two & The Little Eight for as long as I can remember anyway (and I'm not a B-10 basher, just a realist. I was born at the seat of the U of IL and live within spitting distance of Purdue.)