See Dummies in the index
- Feb 9, 2005
- Reaction score
- Aberdeen , Scotland
The T-80 light tank was a version of the T-70 (Russian Vehicle Note 5 with a two-man turret—it was produced only in very small numbers when light tank production was abandoned.
Developed in the summer and fall of 1942 at the Construction Bureau of the Gorky Automobile Plant under the supervision of N. A. Astrov and built at the Kirov factory starting from March 1942, the T-80 replaced the old 1-man turret with a larger 2-man turret to improve combat effectiveness. The T-70 and T-80 replaced the T-60, which was originally intended as a replacement for the aging PT-38 amphibious scout tank and the sophisticated but expensive and complex T-50. The T-70 and T-80 addressed the main issue of the T-60 which had poor cross-country mobility and a weak 20mm main gun. All light tank production was stopped in October 1943 after only 180 T-80s being built, since the Red Army tactics no longer included the use of light tanks.
See also Russian Vehicle Note C.