BG Part 3. 31a. Pz VI(P) 32a Pz VIB(P) 32b Pz Maus

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have a book dedicated on the Maus especially. Maybe tonight I can read that up to enlighten the community.

von Marwitz
So many Likes just for a promise...

Then I guess I have to deliver on it:

There were only very few Maus tanks overall, the largest number of them yet incomplete. In March 1945 when the front came closer to the Heeresversuchsstelle (proving ground), Maus 205/1 and 205/2 moved out. Mouse driver Zebitz was ordered to drive Maus 205/2 for the protection of the OKH to Wünsdorf. Maus 205/1 was unarmed. Possibly, it accompanied Maus 205/1 to help in crossing water obstacles as no bridges were able to bear the 188 ton tanks. Maus 205/1 was destroyed by its crew on Schießplatz West, reasons unknown - maybe it broke down. Maus 205/2 arrived at Wünsdorf (I even have a plan available of its final location but it is very late, so I am too lazy to scan it now) where it was destroyed by its crew when the place was stormed by the Soviets on 21. April 1945.

The front of Maus 205/2 showed 9 impacts by 7.62mm ammo, 3 of which hollow charges. Further more some SMK MG ammo impacts. It is unclear, why the Soviets used such a small caliber. Could very well be that these were just trial shots.

There is some speculation how exactly Maus 205/2 arrived at its destination. I won't go into detail here. No reports are known that Maus 205/2 actually participated in combat.

The Soviets captured both Maus 205/1 and 205/2 of which the former was in much better shape because it held no ammo when being blown up. From parts of both and using 205/1 as a basis, the Soviets build one single Maus after transporting both wrecks to Russia.

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There is a scenario and an article (If my memories is correct) from the Bunker. The Mighty Maus.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a classic. I wish I still had my copy.