See Dummies in the index
- Feb 9, 2005
- Reaction score
- Aberdeen , Scotland
45a Morris Mk II LRC:
Morris Light Reconnaissance Car (LRC) was a British light armoured car for reconnaissance use produced by Morris Motors Limited
The vehicle had an unusual internal arrangement, with the three-man crew sitting side by side by side with the driver in the middle, a crewman manning a small multi-sided turret mounting a Bren light machine gun on the right, and another with a Boys .55 inch anti-tank rifle (mounted in brackets in the hatches on the hull roof) and access to radio set on the left. From 1940 to 1944, over 2,200 were built.
The first machines of this type were sent to Egypt at the end of 1941, where they were partly handed over to the RAF. Under the designation Armoured Car Morris Type E, they were used to guard airfields, patrolling nearby areas and advanced reconnaissance. Some Morris were kept in service in the homeland, affected to outposts and patrols. These vehicles participated in the whole North African campaign, until Tunisia, Sicily, and Italy. Besides the British Army in 1942-1943 service, some were transferred to the 12th Podolsk Regiment and 15th Lancers Regiment of Poznań, from the 2nd Polish Corps.
† The Bow ATR may not fire while the vehicle is Butoned Up as indicated by "*ATR:BU FP NA" on the counter. The Bow mounted ATR may fire while the vehicle is Hull Down.
See also British Vehicle Notes N & BG