Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This scenario has six Polish squads with three armoured cars defending a small crossroads village againts nine German squads with three armoured and armed trucks (Kfz 13).

This is the first time I can remember playing a scenario with these wz.29 Ursus armoured cars. They are very unusual because both the turret MG and the hull MG point to the rear; one more to the left and the other more to the right.

The scenario takes place on a half board, so the Poles need to defend pretty up front; one turn of falling back will bring the poles to the buildings that the Germans need to take.

Magnus Rimvall set everything up front, even the armoured cars, but surprised me with a LOT of dummy AFV (four, believe it or not).

As the Germans, I decided that I liked the north east quarter approach more than the north west quarter. I decided however, to put one ATR team in that quarter and to try to run an armoured truck into the Polish rear. Ther Germans can enter units after turn one as well, so I held back a leader, two squads and two armoured trucks.

End 0 Germ.gif

I deployed as many squads as I could before and during turn one. They were reckless, but everyone else moved conservatively. One AC and two HS chose to fire at the Germans. My first Kfz 13 was not attacked as it puttered along the west edge of the map.

End 1 Germ.gif

In Pole turn one, they managed only to break one HS, but at the cost of one AC immobilized and one shocked. All of the Polish infantry nearest to the Germans fell back.

End 1 Pole.gif

In German two, the shocked Polish AC becomes UK, and the immobilized one is eliminated. The HIP Polish HMG appears and breaks a German squad. The lone German ATR team in the northwest quarter gets a lucky kill against the third Polish AC. The main German attack proceeds along the northeast edge. The remaining two Kfz 13 follow their buddy along the northwest edge, while the original Kfz 13 drives into the Polish rear. The Germans get a hero during this turn, and he joins a HS to CC the UK armoured car, but somehow manage to NOT kill it.

End 2 Germ.gif

I am missing a saved file at the end of Polish turn two, but judging by the next saved file and my notes, the Polish HMG broke a few German units. The German hero and HS destroyed the last Polish AC.

German turn three saw a little prep followed by a Kfz 13 moving to lay infantry smoke and then move into the HMG hex to lock its fire or die trying. It survives, and the German infantry approach close to the HMG. The German AC in the rear of the Polish make it difficult for the Polish to shift and the AC keep any broken Poles DM. A concealedl Polish unit declined CC and lived to withdraw on the following turn. The VBM Kfz 13 dies in the CC phase and fortunately for the Germans, it burns.

End 3 Germ.gif

In Polish turn three, Magnus tries to have the HMG prep against the adjacent Germans. It is unsuccessful. The German return fire, however, is brutal, inflicting a KIA on the HMG team. RS also claims the leader. The remaining Polish infantry in the northeast quarter withdraw to the buildings.

End 3 Pole.gif

German turn four sees a lot of prep fire since it seems I have the time. The return Polish defense fire is ineffective, so Magnus concedes after that phase.

End 4 Germ.gif

I believe that the Poles need to use their AC to protect their rear from the armoured cars, but there is no telling if they can be successful at that. I would be inclined to give the Poles the balance.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR Michael. I played this a month or so ago as the Pole with a victory. An AAR will be showing soon on my blog.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played this one yesterday as the German. My opponent set up the Polish ACs up front, and I entered so that all my ATRs an LMGs could hit them on the first Defensive fire. The platoon used start MP on the first Polsh MPh and I fired them with everything I had-and some low
roll magic happened for the TK rolls and I killed all three on the first moment point!

After this I had complte freedom with my AC s and it was over after 4 turns. The Pole need to set up the ACs back and commit them only when he seen where he German is cominfg from.

-Tuomo

Last edited: