BFP extension v4.03 on vasl.info

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The BFP extension has been updated on vasl.info to version 4.03. Go git it!!!! A few bug fixes...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
When I click this link at VASL.info

http://vasl.info/extensions/e6/BFP_v4.vmdx

it tells me

- Extension BFP_v4 v4.02 loaded

after I have previously closed VASL/VASSAL and deleted the prior BFP-extension from the Extensions folder. So,

a) is there possibly still v4.02 on vasl.info?

b) is it necessary to restart the computer to get it "recognized"? (I would not think so.)

c) does it only say "- Extension BFP_v4 v4.02 loaded" while it actually is v4.03?

If possible, it might help to name the vdmx file more precisely to avoid confusion. Its name in the extension-folder has always been BFP_v4.vdmx (for versions 4.0, 4.01, 4.02, and now possibly 4.03).

von Marwitz

samtyson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I updated the file this morning on vasl.info at 11:14 AM CST. So it should definitely be the new file that Ken sent me.

Based on your options, it is either a) or c), depending on what I received.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The download is still showing to be version 4.02 - it is possible that the updated extension has not had its version number updated in extension properties. Tell me one thing that was changed in the latest version and I can verify this for you.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, fellas! I'm baaack! And I'm still missing something here.

First, to clear a few things up --

I'm using VASL 6.3.3, VASSAL 3.2.15? 16? Doesn't matter, it all displays as 3.2.14.

I download the BFP4.02 (now it's BFP4.03) and it downloads as BFP_4.ZIP, as always.

What I don't understand is how to convert this into a .mdx file. I renamed the file to BFP_4.vmdx (I also tried BFP_V4.mdx).

I get a file for "Images", plus four other files that I supposedly should not have to worry about. I install the "Images" file under my Extensions folder for VASL. When I start up VASL, it does not recognize the contents of the folder.

SO,,,, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE?

Previously, some kind soul would just email me the .mdx version, and I could limp on with that. This time, I would love to learn how to do this, and I'm going need your help.

PLEASE!!!!!

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do not install the images file in extensions folder just put the renamed mdx or vmdx file in extensions folder

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, fellas! I'm baaack! And I'm still missing something here.

First, to clear a few things up --

I'm using VASL 6.3.3, VASSAL 3.2.15? 16? Doesn't matter, it all displays as 3.2.14.

I download the BFP4.02 (now it's BFP4.03) and it downloads as BFP_4.ZIP, as always.

What I don't understand is how to convert this into a .mdx file. I renamed the file to BFP_4.vmdx (I also tried BFP_V4.mdx).

I get a file for "Images", plus four other files that I supposedly should not have to worry about. I install the "Images" file under my Extensions folder for VASL. When I start up VASL, it does not recognize the contents of the folder.

SO,,,, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE?

Previously, some kind soul would just email me the .mdx version, and I could limp on with that. This time, I would love to learn how to do this, and I'm going need your help.

PLEASE!!!!!
Are you using an Apple product to download the file?

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The BFP extension is now downloading correctly. We changed the file name to BFP_v403.vmdx just to be sure what file is being downloaded.
Sam,
I just tried downloading the new BFP_v403.vmdx, and the file won't open. The message is "Adobe reader does not recognize the file or it is in an email that has not been properly formatted"
or words to that effect.
Are you using an Apple product to download the file?
AL,
The short answer is "No." I'm using a second-hand Dell desktop w/ Windows 10. It should work if I just know how.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you should possibly start another thread with your problem and describe exactly what you are doing and start off by stating you are using Windows 10. If you are trying to open the file that is your problem, you should not open the file, just put it straight into your extensions folder. Is it just this extension you have a problem with or all extensions? Answer in the new thread if you decide to do that.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sam,
I just tried downloading the new BFP_v403.vmdx, and the file won't open. The message is "Adobe reader does not recognize the file or it is in an email that has not been properly formatted"
or words to that effect.

AL,
The short answer is "No." I'm using a second-hand Dell desktop w/ Windows 10. It should work if I just know how.
Instead of clicking on the link, try right-clicking. That should bring up a context menu. Choose "save link as...".

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It displays VASSAL v3.2.14 not because this is the version you are using but because it is the version which is the minimum required to run your current VASL version. It is a bit confusing.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It displays VASSAL v3.2.14 not because this is the version you are using but because it is the version which is the minimum required to run your current VASL version. It is a bit confusing.
In my "VASSAL" window it says "3.2.16" under VASSAL version. In the vasl window, help, about vasl says "3.2.16" and help, about vassal says "3.2.16." In the VASSAL window I also have several combinations that I have used in the past (e.g. module version 6.3.1 with VASSAL version 3.2.14), but when I run my most recent installs, everything says "3.2.16."

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I meant what is displayed in the VASSAL window (see screenshot):

VASSAL.jpg

In the above picture for VASL v6.3.3 the VASSAL version v3.2.14 is displayed, despite v3.2.16 actually being installed. Which means that to run VASL v6.3.3 (and v6.2.2) the minimum VASSAL version you need is v3.2.14 while for VASL v6.0.1 the minimum is VASSAL v3.2.8.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I meant what is displayed in the VASSAL window (see screenshot):

View attachment 358

In the above picture for VASL v6.3.3 the VASSAL version v3.2.14 is displayed, despite v3.2.16 actually being installed. Which means that to run VASL v6.3.3 (and v6.2.2) the minimum VASSAL version you need is v3.2.14 while for VASL v6.0.1 the minimum is VASSAL v3.2.8.
My version of v6.3.3 requires 3.2.16.

VASSAL_version.jpg

JR

Last edited:

donaldrgriffis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gentlemen I think the problem is in changing a file folder to just a file. when I do the name change to vmdx or unzip it and change the name, I still get a folder icon instead of a file icon that reads as a vmdx or a mdx file in my extentions folder (sort but I have not figured out how to post a screenshot yet)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
gentlemen I think the problem is in changing a file folder to just a file. when I do the name change to vmdx or unzip it and change the name, I still get a folder icon instead of a file icon that reads as a vmdx or a mdx file in my extentions folder (sort but I have not figured out how to post a screenshot yet)
It is nearly impossible to change a file to a folder or vice versa. You can extract a .zip file, in which case the contents of a .zip file can be expanded into a folder. Some OSes (windows in particular) will hide the actual extension of the file unless you demand that it stop doing that by changing options. Some OSes will also display a .zip file as having a "folder-like" icon. You may be being confused by what the GUI is showing and telling you vs. what is actually true.

JR

donaldrgriffis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks jrv What do I do to find hat options that you mention? I can find properties & rename but every time I rename to vmdx & check both the zipped & unzipped files in properties under details I see .zip at the end even after I supposedly have cleared the renamed & inputted just BFP_403.vmdx( or mdx) thanks for your help.