BFP-51 Kwajalein Crush Japanese Amphibious Tanks?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Good morning. I'm setting up as the Japanese in this scenario and I was wondering if the two Japanese amphibious tanks (reinforcements in JT5) must come on as non-amphibious, e.g., without their pontoons? The depictions in the OB show them without pontoons, but I was tripped up by the last sentence of the scenario description: "This brought the Type 2 and 3 amphibious tanks into the defenses." Thank you for any clarification.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Good morning. I'm setting up as the Japanese in this scenario and I was wondering if the two Japanese amphibious tanks (reinforcements in JT5) must come on as non-amphibious, e.g., without their pontoons? The depictions in the OB show them without pontoons, but I was tripped up by the last sentence of the scenario description: "This brought the Type 2 and 3 amphibious tanks into the defenses." Thank you for any clarification.
I have never seen it played this way. I don't think that was the intent. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm...

I dimly remember that there is some specialty about DD Sherman tanks:
Without having double-checked it, I think that they have a certain, often overlooked capability - if the scenario normally specifies a certain turn for units to enter, these DD Sherman tanks can enter on or after that turn. This might provide an unexpected tactical advantage.

Maybe, just maybe this rule also extends to Japanese amphibious tanks. Only guessing, a rules dive is needed.

Edit:
It is a little different - and the rule applies to all DD (Duplex Drive) tanks and unarmored amphibians:

D16.8 Because of their vulnerability, DD tanks and unarmored amphibians were kept well out of sight until such time as they were to actually enter the water. Therefore, such vehicles—even if listed as part of the setup OB in a scenario—may remain offboard until their owner wishes them to enter during a friendly MPh.

I remember having once delayed the entry of DD Shermans based on this rule. However, this was a scenario in which no water was involved, so it is hard to say if that application of the rule was intended or not. One could argue for and against it: On one hand - no water. On the other hand - if they can be delayed in water, they would make their appearance delayed as well whereever they would eventually move on land.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure why one would need the amphibious status or delay entry.
They need to help reinforce the defenses.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Amphibious capability would just help them traverse certain terrain features on this particular map. But not sure how much help that would really be, given that they enter late in the game. I just got excited by the notion of potentially being able to use amphib capability. ASL bucket list... :)