BFP 4: Crucible of Steel vol2 vs vol1?

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The combination of a new infant addition to the family, a cross country move, and a serious counter & mapboard destroying flood have seriously disconnected me from ASL, but I'm slowly piecing things back together. I just ordered PiF and ITR2 which I'm very excited about.

On to my query: I already own CoS, mostly still intact. While browsing the BFP website I noticed that CoS is "v2", my original CoS purchase was in mid 2015, and I'm curious when the v2 came out? Much of my ASL kit is still in boxes, and I'm not 100% certain what version I have. The confirmation email I received in 2015 did not indicate any version. Can someone let me know which version I might have if I ordered in 2015? My CoS is mildly damaged, and I'd order a replacement if there is a new version, but probably stick with it if I already own "v2".

buser333

Reaction score
The combination of a new infant addition to the family, a cross country move, and a serious counter & mapboard destroying flood have seriously disconnected me from ASL, but I'm slowly piecing things back together. I just ordered PiF and ITR2 which I'm very excited about.

On to my query: I already own CoS, mostly still intact. While browsing the BFP website I noticed that CoS is "v2", my original CoS purchase was in mid 2015, and I'm curious when the v2 came out? Much of my ASL kit is still in boxes, and I'm not 100% certain what version I have. The confirmation email I received in 2015 did not indicate any version. Can someone let me know which version I might have if I ordered in 2015? My CoS is mildly damaged, and I'd order a replacement if there is a new version, but probably stick with it if I already own "v2".
Sorry to hear of your ASL catastrophe.
I believe CoS v2 came out in mid-2017. Probably no earlier than 2016. So I am pretty certain your version would be v1.

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks buser33. Any way to tell the difference between v1 & v2 from the kit itself?

The flood catastrophe was several years ago now, but still heartbreaking. The worst thing about it is my kit is randomly destroyed. For example, my German 8-3-8 full squad counters are fine, while the half squads were utterly gone. The flood also destroyed several hundred books, many of which were author-signed, first edition, WWII books. Now that was painful.

buser333

Reaction score
Thanks buser33. Any way to tell the difference between v1 & v2 from the kit itself?

The flood catastrophe was several years ago now, but still heartbreaking. The worst thing about it is my kit is randomly destroyed. For example, my German 8-3-8 full squad counters are fine, while the half squads were utterly gone. The flood also destroyed several hundred books, many of which were author-signed, first edition, WWII books. Now that was painful.
I recently lost a few things myself to a septic leak so I feel your pain, albeit nowhere near as much as yours.
I don't have v2, just v1. I believe BFP lists the upgrades on their website. If you want to send me an email we can compare notes to see if you have the same or different version than mine. Just send me a PM on here with your email.

Jeff

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate the offer, but I've just moved, so most of my kit is packed away, including CoS. Just today I purchases PiF & ITR2, so I was thinking about getting CoH and adding it to the order to save shipping, which is why I inquired about it. If the difference between the two isn't significant, I'll hold off for now. I'll check the BFP website and investigate.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate the offer, but I've just moved, so most of my kit is packed away, including CoS. Just today I purchases PiF & ITR2, so I was thinking about getting CoH and adding it to the order to save shipping, which is why I inquired about it. If the difference between the two isn't significant, I'll hold off for now. I'll check the BFP website and investigate.
We have called v2 a revised version. It is essentially a straight reprint, incorporating known errata and an opportunity to adjust a few of the scenarios that had shown some issues with balance. The counter producers we used were better for v2, my personal opinion is they look better than v1. So your call on your desire to get it or not.

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have called v2 a revised version. It is essentially a straight reprint, incorporating known errata and an opportunity to adjust a few of the scenarios that had shown some issues with balance. The counter producers we used were better for v2, my personal opinion is they look better than v1. So your call on your desire to get it or not.
Thank you sir!

When was it released? Was it mid-2017 as buser333 mentioned?

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just received my order of PiF and ITR. Great products both!

The counters in those two packs are really good quality, are the counters in the re-release of Crucible of Steel (v2) of this same type?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just received my order of PiF and ITR. Great products both!

The counters in those two packs are really good quality, are the counters in the re-release of Crucible of Steel (v2) of this same type?
Yes. Same counter printer for each of these products.

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's good news. In these two products, the quality of the counter construction and material is on par with those of MMP, and in my opinion the art on them is better than MMPs. It looks like these will mix seamlessly into my new set.