BFP-36 Wannan Incident

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting read to play this all infantry Chinese (KMT) vs CCP scenario from Blood&Jungle.

ROAR has it 10 CCP wins vs a single Chinese victory. What gives? Anyone that has played this one care to offer some insights?

It is fought over two of the most dense terrain boards, 36 and 47, so it looks like lots of opportunities for the Chinese attacker to get in close and chew up the partisan CCP with firepower. Would giving the Chinese the balance help even the score?

Ryan

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Ryan

Ian Wiley and I played this a while Back
I was The attacking Chinese and thought a Simple Left flank push through that woods/hill area would work well and swing right
I learnt the hard way that he can just delay and withdraw his men so its near impossible to cut off the back area in time!!! - time is the killer and his delay tactics are fab

Maybe lots of early dare death soaking up of fire followed by some brave breakthrough and prevent the withdraw (easier said than done)

Cheers

Rob:)

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a great time playing this scenario yesterday. My opponent as the CCP took the win by judicious delaying action balanced by selected CC counterattacks. I thought I was pretty aggressive with my attacking troops but in retrospect I probably needed to be more bold early on to meet the tight time frame needed for a KMT win. I botched an opening turn human wave, malf'd my heavy MG and a sniper wounded my 9-2. All this in the first turn! he key for the KMT seems to be infiltrate past the CCP lines, use firepower to break those partisan 337's then eliminate for failure to rout. It is hard to remove stealthy CCP partisans in jungle when carefully, skillfully handled, which my opponent certainly did.

One question: there are three ambiguous Board 47 second level hill double crestlines, two of which are covered by grain / kunai - F3, G3, H2 - that do not quite cover the center dot. Does anybody know how these are supposed to be played - single or double crestline? I dimly recall a previous discussion and conclusion in this forum, a while back but could not find via search.

Ryan

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Played this back in '16. The terrain makes it difficult to close with the Red Chinese (who are Stealthy, don't Cower, and have Commissars which don't Unit Replace when they fail to rally). It's a bit scary having to Advance Vs Difficult Terrain (A4.72) when there's Stealthy squads nearby ready to ambush you....

Hope this link works : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628719720726712/permalink/1746771682254848/

John.

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
link works great. Good insight in to this scenario and a good AAR!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this several years back as the Chinese. It was a barker the entire way. Save the rare Chinese win where all the planets align, my opponent and I couldn't figure out how the Chinese have much of a chance in this one. Better scenarios elsewhere.