BFP-127, The Road to Warsaw

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AAR: BFP-127, The Road to Warsaw

11 September 1939, Kopytow, Poland.

Situation: Beaten up and scattered elements of the Polish 2nd Infantry Division are defending the village of Kopytow against advancing elements of the 2nd Battalion of SS Regiment LAH. An armored car platoon is attached to the German unit.
I played the Germans and Walt McWilliams was the Poles.

Mission: The Germans must clear and control the buildings of this village and establish blocking positions.

What was supposed to happen: The Germans were to clear the woods southeast of the village to provide a jumping off point into the village proper. A small element was to advance further west in order to tie down defenders in that area. The armored cars were to support the advance with fire support then move to the flank and rear to encircle the Poles in the village.

What actually happened: The Germans made good progress into the south eastern woods but were slowed by “dummy” positions. The company commander led a squad on a flanking maneuver through the woods to support other advancing elements. If successful then it would seal the fate of the Polish defenders in those woods. However, the Captain and his squad were killed by enemy mortar fire during their bound. The remaining forces still managed to clear the wood line though.

Two of the armored cars flanked far west to interdict Polish movement. Both cars came under heavy MG fire and were slightly damaged (stunned). Another armored car suffered a gun malfunction and supported the advance with only MG’s.

As the Germans came to the edge of the woods they were met with a hail of fire but only suffered light casualties. The armored cars attempted to get behind the enemy defenses but one was “brewed up” by a hidden anti-tank rifle. The other of the pair was able to get behind the Poles and aided in the destruction of several enemy squads. The third armored car suffered catastrophic damage to its 20mm gun and had to withdraw.

Being pressed for time the Germans launched a final assault across the village street, supported by the remaining armored car. Most of the assaulting troops were unable to make it through the withering fire but a pair of fire teams reached their assigned objectives. Unfortunately for the Germans these fire teams were unable to hold out against the enemy counterattack and the mission was not successful.

Walt had the balance (he needed it due to the ROAR) and played a great game. This went down to the final close combat phase!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am surprised the balance, or at least the crew, isn't part of the scenario proper. I chose to give the crew the ATR and HIP him on my right rear flank. It's a no brainer the Germans are going to try and get a a least one AC in the polish backfield and that will unravel this scenario quickly. The extra ? counters did create a lot of fog-of-war which slowed Tom's attack a bit. Overall I'm just happy to finally get a win against Tom. Next week is the Devil's Armpit, so I am certain I don't have long to savor it.